You're right, nothing's in stone yet. Apple has 6 months to figure out any bugs. Let's just hope they get it right by the time June comes. In the meantime, I have 6 phones to tide me over. And I still may not get the iPhone due to the terms(Cingular only and high price).
    01-10-2007 09:16 AM
    make no mistake. palm is in serious trouble. their pda business is evaporating, and their future flagship product market - the treo - has just taken a serious hit. they will be losing marketshare there also.

though their next big thing is due in 07, you know it will be missing something critical just as ALL of their products always have - whether its stability, wifi, a new OS, etc.

I have confidence in APPLE'S potential for innovation. I no longer have confidence in PALM.

all they do is basically juggle and recycle outdated technology into each new device. That business model is old and tired, as is Palm.
    I completely agree
    01-10-2007 09:21 AM
    We have lots of FACTS but your just ignoring them.

Yes - the 700P and 700W was thought to be better as you mention with resets, slowness and such. But what was the root cause of all that? FrankenGarnet - or what I call the sand castle OS facing the high tide rolling in. That is a fact. This thing has OS X. That is a fact. OS X has been stable for a long time. That is a fact. It would be foolish to compare the stability of an OS that has not been updated for years to OS X which has been continually maintained and updated. That is a fact. The iPhone has all the hardware features that Palm has been unable or unwilling to add to a Treo. That is a fact. We have plenty of facts here to work with.

I do agree about the iPod battery issue. Apple should be ashamed about it and it just goes to show that Steve Jobs is not the best friend in the world of everyone who buys an Apple product as is commonly believed. But at least Apple doesn't smack phrases like Bluetooth and WIFI compatibility on their packaging to mislead customers into buying and then never deliver as Palm they did with the 600. And also with WIFI on the 650 after Colligan promised it to us at launch.

Even if iPhone isn't perfect. It is clear that Apple has gone in the directions that we've asked Palm to go in for the last several years. Palm has continually told us that their limited resources have not allowed them to do this and the restricitions they imposed on themselves by selling the source code. So by their own admission, how can they catch up with this?

Just goes to show... If you're not moving forward, you're standing still. Someone is bound to pass you.

And remember... "If you're not first, you're last." - Ricky Bobby
    01-10-2007 09:32 AM
    I'm not giving up my keyboard and replaceable battery. . .

My Treo 650 has internet, email, plays music/video, phone, camera, maps, and many other apps (like games) that Palm developers come up with. Heck, I can even emulate Nintendo systems and others on my Treo.

I don't get all excited about something just because it is new, and I don't use a Mac.
    01-10-2007 10:33 AM

My Treo 650 has internet, email, plays music/video, phone, camera, maps, and many other apps (like games) that Palm developers come up with. Heck, I can even emulate Nintendo systems and others on my Treo.

I don't get all excited about something just because it is new, and I don't use a Mac.
    Ditto
    (but I'll wait till I can try out an Iphone for myself before I believe everything that Steve (jobs) is telling us. CEO's lie too, I mean "mislead")
    01-10-2007 10:52 AM
    I'm new to this Palm stuff, but I'm a longtime Apple user - and it seems to me that Apple just bought a Palm and knocked off the things that worked (touch screen, etc) and then took the things that frusterated them which Palm users buy 3rd party software to sorta kinda solve, and solved the problem within a rock solid system. There are already products on the market which do everything the Iphone does...but Apple excells at presentation and usability. Packaging. What they usually lack is proper Beta testing, and quality control. Expect battery issues, and buggy quirks to be the norm for the first year you use it. Also, Jobs has a tendency to enjoy theatrical elements in his OS that work great for demos and annoy the hell out of users the rest of the time. Dancing icons that balloon up and cover the screen come to mind? Letter keys that change shape as you're typing?

I can say this much - as an Apple user, they did all the things I intuitively wished my Palm had. I like the on screen number pad of the POS....and figured the next step would be to do away with the imposible keys on the Treo. Jobs is obnoxious, but he may be right in terms of this being the future. Miniature tablets, and portable computers will indeed take the place of laptops and phones for many purposes, especially in major business cities which will be wired for free corporate advertising based WIFI very shortly. Expect Apple to buy out a Skype/Vonage company or just copy the technology in two years once their Cingular contract runs out.
    01-10-2007 11:04 PM

And now even Palm has dumped the 650. It's a memory only on their site. :shake:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo650/

Our clue that the 650 is now officially obsolete, even in Palm's eyes.
    01-10-2007 11:42 PM
    remember (some of you) it is apple at the helm, apple of the 21st century.

they can just about make anything they want happen and they almost have.

palm? i don't think so.
    01-10-2007 11:47 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD