THE Treo Killer - the iPhone

Jan 16, 2006
Visit site
I dont know why you all complain about EDGE's speed. I used the same service on another smartphone and it was quick. Using it with blazer is the killer.

simple enough.

Aero

May 26, 2006
Visit site
I think this will kill palm's treo line. I think a lot of those here mentioning data speed are not users of wifi. I am a business user and I am bathed in wifi all day and night. As far as exchange integration, this is a red herring for most business users anyway.Palm already screwed its users by not putting wifi on the treos.

Business users now something else - Palm has a well deserved reputation for total lack of support. Not just to users as reflected here, but to developers. This has a big business use impact.

Finally on "broadband speeds" it is clear to anyone who has tested blazer page downloads that the stated speed we should be getting is NOWHERE near the speed we should be getting. "High speed" on a treo is like high octane fuel on an old vw bug .

someone mentioned that this phone has everything Palm users have been asking for on Treo central -- for a very long time.

Six and eight gigs is not a lot but it is plenty more than the competition including TREO, and there is no reason not to think apple will bring this up to whatever costs the equivalent each year with an eventual slot as well.

Don't forget this is the beginning of a line.

I bought 3 to 5 treo devices last year (sprint exchanged two of my 700p units for 700wx). Before that I have owned two other palm devices. I wouldn't buy another palm device in a million years. It is completely clear we users are not palm's clients. the phone companies are. It is clear Palm won't support its own operating system, not even for obviously needed updates to real problems.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I doubt that Colligan is reading any of this. On the other hand, a 5% decrease in his stock price in a matter of hours will get his attention. The sad thing is that he has missed his opportunity to do anything about it.

WHEATHIN

Dec 21, 1999
Visit site
Treo is dead, iPhone is the future

The Treo, Blackberry, Q, Razor and whatever else are toast, finished, dead, paperweights next to the new iPhone.

Palm and the Treo have rested on their laurels and haven't innovated enough over the years.

I have owned numerous Palms spanning from a Palm Professional, Palm III, Visor, Treo 300, Treo 600, and Treo 650.

I would THROW AWAY my Treo 650 tomorrow if I could get an iPhone and use my company email on it.

Palm are you listening, you WILL die if you don't innovate and come up with a product as good as the iPhone.

I honestly don't think Treo and the Palm OS has the capability to survive. The Palm OS is crap. The Mac OS X is great( I own a new intel iMac), and Apple excels like no one else at making products that work and exceptionally well.

I hope Treo can survive for competition alone, but it will take at least Jeff Hawkins back to save the Treo!

Good luck!

TreoCentral you may think about reserving the domain name "iPhoneCentral". I already moved with you from VisorCentral to TreoCentral.

Hop aboard the bandwagon, my prediction 2 years from now TreoCentral is shuddered just like VisorCentral and we're all chatting on iPhoneCentral's boards!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
and for ****es and giggles, EDGE isn't as slow as some of the users make it out to be. it downloads data at acceptable speeds and i currently have a 3G 750. my last devices? EVDO and EDGE....on the margin they're all pretty quick, 3G obviously the quickest.

Tissa

Feb 19, 2005
Visit site
Just one thing:

A $600 phone that you can't hear the person you are talking to?
That's how much I paid for my Treo when it first came out. And after all this time, i hear the 680 still has the same problem. You have to buy a 3rd party software to be able to use the phone.

I'm ready for something new.

vw2002

Aug 9, 2004
Visit site
high speed on a treo is like high octane on an old vw bug,

but high speed on the iphone will be like high octane in my vw phaeton - that baby will freakin MOVE!!! wink, wink.

abarrios

Jun 3, 2000
Visit site
the treo is done. With the exception of UMTS & palm os,it has just about everything people on this board have been asking for. I will be in for one if apple offers an un-locked version.

bclancy

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
... I'm only 6 months into a 2-year contract. ...
Sounds like perfect timing to me. By then, the'll have a proven, next-gen,power-user-oriented device on the carrier you want. Sprint/Verizon will have lost the anti-wifi battle (and realize that letting you offload your data consuption onto a network where they don't have to pay the traffic charges for will be a good thing).

dcmidnight

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
For all this endless complaining about the lack of a QWERTY keyboard, am I the only one thats actually LOOKED AT the specs of the phone?

https://www.apple.com/iphone/phone/#mn_p

Under the SMS link it shows a full QWERTY popup keyboard. Under the email playthrough - if you watch it - it shows the same thing a full QWERTY keyboard.

I cant say how great it will be, or how it works, or if touchscreen will be all that its cracked up to be - but considering its still in development, IT IS THERE!!!

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
For all this endless complaining about the lack of a QWERTY keyboard, am I the only one thats actually LOOKED AT the specs of the phone?

i think ppl know the virtual kb is there, the fact that it is a virtual kb is a deal killer. ppl like the tactile feel of a real kb.

the question about this virtual kb, how well does it work.

according to a post on gizmodo, the letters pop up (become bigger) when you move your finger over them, making it easier to hit the right key.

we will have to wait and see how well this works.

NextDream

Feb 17, 2005
Visit site
I second the vote for iphonecentral.

the domain name is already taken, i tried to get it earlier. Treocentral will be a distant memory for me come June.....though I might drop by the old tc neighborhood to take a look at the newest thread begging Palm to fix it's newest release (Please, Please Palm can you send a ROM update out for the 750p it keeps crashing) for old time sake.

NextDream

Feb 17, 2005
Visit site
i think ppl know the virtual kb is there, the fact that it is a virtual kb is a deal killer. ppl like the tactile feel of a real kb.

the question about this virtual kb, how well does it work.

according to a post on gizmodo, the letters pop up (become bigger) when you move your finger over them, making it easier to hit the right key.

we will have to wait and see how well this works.

No need to wait. www.apple.com/iphone You can go to "Watch the keynote" and see Steve Jobs entire 2 hour presentation from today where he goes thru everything the phone does and how to do it. (by the way it didn't crash and he didn't have to soft reset it!)

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i'm still waiting for all of the Treo power users and Treo die-hards to chime in...they've been awful quiet with the exception of "the keyboard issue" and "EDGE being so slow."

where are all of the supporters?

funny to think back at how defensive some get at the slightest mention of a fault. well, now many of those faults have been remedied but by someone else.

like i've said, it's good to keep an open mind. the treo is not the end-all and perhaps the i-phone isn't either, but i must admit, it's a step in the right direction.

a cool factor that Treo's will NEVER be able to emulate.

jury still out on the keyboard though....i will admit, if the typing capability is goofy they will have lost out on many a sale. would i still buy one as a secondary device? hell yes.

ghiscott

Mar 16, 2005
keyconnect.com
There is not going to be a Sprint/Verizon version of the Iphone because apple's stated goal is 1% of the world market! CDMA is a tiny fraction of the world coverage for cellular.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2