Apple iPhone. Oh. My. God.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
palm stock down, way down.......

that would be the market talking to you, not me.
He is certainly not listening to us. We could not get him to do Wi-Fi. He reluctantly doubled memory every few years and gives us a 128K SD card; Jobs says, "How about 500 times as much memory?" We ask for multi-tasking and Ed gives us WM. We asked for hi-res camera and display; he gave us WM. We asked for longer battery life and he gave us the 680.

My sense is that he will not hear the market either. He only listens to Sprint and Verizon; he thinks that they are the enterprise.

While Jobs was talking the market value of his stock went up an amount large enough for him to buy Palm, particularly since the other investors were deciding that they did not want it.

Palm is still fighting the last war, still trying to perfect the Treo 600. Too bad.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
built in wifi would have been nice, but using an SDIO card is a nice option.

Having EvDO though is much easier/robust than Wifi.

Not really, you have to remove your nice 2GB storage card. Other comparable devices have wifi built-in so you don't have to. Plus it's another $100 for the wifi card. :brick:

3G is the hottest thing now, but it's nice to have options. Other smartphones have both, why can't Palm?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Not really, you have to remove your nice 2GB storage card. Other comparable devices have wifi built-in so you don't have to. Plus it's another $100 for the wifi card. :brick:

3G is the hottest thing now, but it's nice to have options. Other smartphones have both, why can't Palm?
Because Sprint says they cannot. I think that Palm may follow Sprint into bankruptcy. Even Perry will buy an iPhone.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i do like your comments WHMurray. sprint has a network that someone could use, they don't have much else. the nextel venture has proven to be a mistake, iden is a loss leader.

as for WM, it is what it is, just another option or choice if you will. there are plenty of Palm os products in the Treo lineup so Palm lovers should be happy. As for the WM products, the 750 is proving to be nifty, i like the 3G functionality, the color and grippy paint finish appeal to me (actually useful), but it's still big and heavy, and doesn't do all that much more than my Pearl. in all actuallity, the Pearl is easier to use (phone app, email, everything is a trackball push away) in my eyes. that's where i have a problem with Palm: why can't they offer something that is different? really different, try small and less heavy perhaps. just something different, all of there new product launches are not all that different from the last one. i laugh at them because tucking an antenna inside of the body is not "innovation." they should be able to do much more than that.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site

Well said. Will Palm even make 3G available on a POS? If not, very sad... :hmm:

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Well, I have Cingular. Now I'm the one who HAS to switch carriers?
Not at all, I was merely qualifying your statement "Will Palm even make 3G available on a POS?", that implied that there is no 3g POS system. I do agree it'd be nice to have one for the other networks but that's a whole other discussion about current limits of POS.

I honestly didn't look to see what network you were on :eek:

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Just to add to that, I am really surprised that they cannot figure out a hack to make this work on Palm OS. They can't disable data onnect while on a call? Or disable incoming calls while UMTS is active? Yes it will result in missed calls, but consumers have the option to switch to 3G temporarily to "get their big files fast."

Not those types of files Newman.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Dimitry, of PalmOS hack fame, has always maintained that the network libraries can be hacked to allow multi-threading, just like the bluetooth stack was modified to do the same. I believe however that if this would be done the device will become more unstable, due to a deep-seated lack of pre-emptive multi-tasking and memory protection.

Surur

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Dimitry, of PalmOS hack fame, has always maintained that the network libraries can be hacked to allow multi-threading, just like the bluetooth stack was modified to do the same. I believe however that if this would be done the device will become more unstable, due to a deep-seated lack of pre-emptive multi-tasking and memory protection.

Surur

I agree, but disabling one temporarily would at least be an option. Or throw wifi in the 680, something for the Palm OS faithful.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I agree, but disabling one temporarily would at least be an option. Or throw wifi in the 680, something for the Palm OS faithful.
Well, as a GSM Palm OS user...I guess I have nothing to lose to hold my breath till at least the end of May:hmm:

Who knows...maybe there will be something to consider...

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

Surur
I agree that pre-emptive multi-tasking is difficult. However, cooperative multi-tasking between two or three applications written by the same guy is not rocket science. This is not an issue of "cannot" but one of "will not." This is not technical. It is about Sprint.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
I agree that pre-emptive multi-tasking is difficult. However, cooperative multi-tasking between two or three applications written by the same guy is not rocket science. This is not an issue of "cannot" but one of "will not." This is not technical. It is about Sprint.

What does Sprint have to do with the 680? Ev-do cannot support voice/data at the same time (yet), and new hardware will be required for this. It will creat many problems in the OS, which is why Palm bought back the rights for Garnet, so they can ALTER the OS. Remember, they could not do this before, since they had sold it. We'll see what happens on the next POS device...