Apple iPhone. Oh. My. God.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
how is lack of 3g in a device 6 months from now "innovation"? You throw that word around like it's the end all, be all of devices.

How is my refrigerator innovative? How is my regular TV innovative? Give me a break, we're talking about phones here: they make and take calls, that's it. Are you going to make 'better' calls with the iPhone? Does that even mean anything? But this is where you mac cultists cross over from enjoying your (non-existent) product to attacking everyone else's choice.

And if you're actually happy with the 700wx (like I am) then your argument really holds no water. I guess you just need fancy, shiny objects with whizz-wow graphics to impress you. Some of us are more subtle.

you mis-read/mis-interpreted. the 680 and 700w have been failures in my eyes....what am i saying? they've been in business for a long while now and still can't produce an exceptional device

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
you mis-read/mis-interpreted. the 680 and 700w have been failures in my eyes....what am i saying? they've been in business for a long while now and still can't produce an exceptional device
The 680 is admittedly disappointing from a power user perspective, otoh it is meant to be their "low end" device for the masses. Whether or not it is a success, I dunno.

The 700w was popular yet a failure but was a nice first attempt. The 700wx, with it's nearly tripled memory, fixed the main complaint and is one of the most popular WM5 devices out in the US market. Many users are happy with the 700wx compared to other WM5 devices.

Only big issue: Bluetooth could be better. All else is nearly perfect, imo.

Considering how much their WM5 devices have displaced their PalmOS devices, I'd consider them to be a success. They are certainly better and more thought out than HTC devices since they "fixed" a lot of WM5 shortcomings and made them more user friendly.

What do you find a failure about the 700wx or 750 series?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
700wx: sprint, antenna, heavy
750c: lesser resolution, edge (not all that much slower) less big, less heavy, but still big and heavy

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
700wx: sprint, antenna, heavy
750c: lesser resolution, edge (not all that much slower) less big, less heavy, but still big and heavy

750 is 3G, not EDGE.

speed.jpg

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
No Palm OS.
BT 2.0
um....wifi?
No PalmOS? You have the 700p. Not my fault it's not a good OS anymore :rolleyes:

BT 2.0: Even I said the BT was the one area that needed improvement

Wifi: is nice to have and SDIO wifi is at least possible. Still, I find EvDO more convenient.

Of course there is room for improvement on the 700wx/750, no one is denying that. But to call it a "failure" because you find it too heavy or has no wifi (neither of which bother me or others who own it)? That's a bit stringent and possibly over exaggerating.

Can I call the iPhone a failure b/c it has no 3g then? Or because I can't install software, run GPS or that it's on Cingular and service is poor and more expensive? Fair is fair.

farzonalmaneih

Oct 18, 2003
Visit site
I am suprised no one has made a big deal about the bluetooth in this thing. Its going to have BT 2.0 EDR.

The only phone that I know of that has BT with that level of power is the Razr. Basically, EDR should allow you to be ~200-300 feet from your phone using your headset (with a quality BT headset).

This is a VERY big deal.

Note: I am 99% sure I will never buy this phone.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
No PalmOS? You have the 700p. Not my fault it's not a good OS anymore :rolleyes:

BT 2.0: Even I said the BT was the one area that needed improvement

Wifi: is nice to have and SDIO wifi is at least possible. Still, I find EvDO more convenient.

Of course there is room for improvement on the 700wx/750, no one is denying that. But to call it a "failure" because you find it too heavy or has no wifi (neither of which bother me or others who own it)? That's a bit stringent and possibly over exaggerating.

Can I call the iPhone a failure b/c it has no 3g then? Or because I can't install software, run GPS or that it's on Cingular and service is poor and more expensive? Fair is fair.
My complaint is more that the POS seems to have fallen by the wayside and the windows versions have, apparently, continued to be improved. I think there's a serious issue with the POS side of their software development teams. As a Mac user, pun intended, I have felt like a 2nd class citizen watching the "other side" progress while we've stagnated.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
My complaint is more that the POS seems to have fallen by the wayside and the windows versions have, apparently, continued to be improved. I think there's a serious issue with the POS side of their software development teams. As a Mac user, pun intended, I have felt like a 2nd class citizen watching the "other side" progress while we've stagnated.
Fully understandable.

I own and enjoy my 650 and would have loved to seen POS develop further. It's like Netscape vs IE all over again: IE didn't win b/c it was necessarily better but b/c Netscape dropped the ball (for whatever reason).

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Hmmm...so when the battery juice runs out we shall have to mail it back and wait what? 2-3 weeks turnaround plus the expense? I hope some of you keep your old phones! This phone will make a good secondary phone for my treo..but replace it? I doubt...maybe a 3G one with replaceable battery and 3rd party apps (which was one off the main reasons I got a treo rather than say a P910i or E62)...seems they don't intend to allow much:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/the-ultimate-iphone-frequently-asked-questions/

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I'll get one just as quick as I can get one unlocked. I'll keep the 680 til then.

you'll have a two yearr wait from all reports..by then who knows what else will be on the market...and it p*sses me off that it's totally locked into cingular..who aren't even that global!

Developing countries provide a large slice of the pie (ask Nokia - that's why they're one of the biggest companies worldwide)...a locked GSM is crazy..I hope someone figures ut how to unlock it fast...apple has shout us out really! :thumbsdn:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
While the WM side needs a lot of improvement, I do not see it. While I would prefer to have POS, I am glad to have any alternative to WM.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

No, nor is your fault that it is CDMA only.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
750 is 3G, not EDGE.

oops! my bad, was thinking about the 680 that i just sent back. correct, 750 offers 3G if you can get it.

as for the 750: lesser resolution, no antenna, less heavy and less bulky, but still big and heavy. that should clear things up

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
oops! my bad, was thinking about the 680 that i just sent back. correct, 750 offers 3G if you can get it.

as for the 750: lesser resolution, no antenna, less heavy and less bulky, but still big and heavy. that should clear things up
Still WM.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox