Apple iPhone. Oh. My. God.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
As I recall, he said something like, "replaceable like the iPods". Which means it is replaceable but you have to pay a fee. They do it on the spot at Apple Stores. Otherwise you have to send it in.

It is worth it though if they are getting the 5/16 out of it. I like the way the battery becomes part of the phone case. Something I suggested that Palm should have done here at TreoCentral about a month or 2 ago when I complained about the 680's battery problems... and its price.

Replaceable is necessary. Switchable is better.

While I rarely use it, I carry a spare Treo battery. I value the idea of being free from power sources, particularly when commuting on the train

KRamsauer

Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
As I recall, he said something like, "replaceable like the iPods". Which means it is replaceable but you have to pay a fee. They do it on the spot at Apple Stores. Otherwise you have to send it in.

That's the confusion. I'll claim victory here: if you have to pay someone to do it and can't do it in 10 seconds yourself, it's not replaceable; it's serviceable.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Well, there are kits that you can get for the iPod that let you replace the battery yourself. They will probably offer these for the iPhone as well.

Still, fro my point of view I much prefer Apples decision and their engineering prowness in incorporating the battery into the design without allowing for easily switchable feature which invariable takes up more room. It basically bought them an extra hour of battery life. Speaking of battery life, why is everyone knocking the iPhone's battery when it easily bests the Treo 680... and the Nokia E61 and the Moto Q and...etc., etc.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Speaking of battery life, why is everyone knocking the iPhone's battery when it easily bests the Treo 680... and the Nokia E61 and the Moto Q and...etc., etc.
c'mon archie, now you're getting into the fandom zone.

This phone is not out and you're taking Apple's word that's what their battery life is? Please. Lets all see what it gets in real world situations. Maybe it'll be better, maybe worse but it is silly to take them at their word since we do not know what conditions they tested under (and where did you see that 5 hour rated time was with BT and wifi enabled? I never saw that mentioned and would like to the source if possible).

(and for the record, the HTC Dash gets fantastic battery life. Cnet got 11 hours of talk time which was double what it was rated for. The Treo 700wx got 5.8 hours.)

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
c'mon archie, now you're getting into the fandom zone.

This phone is not out and you're taking Apple's word that's what their battery life is?

actually, some of us who bought the 680 took Palm's word for offering 300 hours of standby. that was obviously a mistake too.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
actually, some of us who bought the 680 took Palm's word for offering 300 hours of standby. that was obviously a mistake too.
I hope you and others will learn from this: wait for real life tests, not what people who are trying to sell you someting want you to believe.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I hope you and others will learn from this: wait for real life tests, not what people who are trying to sell you someting want you to believe.
Consider the source.
I trust Apple.

For what it's worth, when Apple announced the battery life for playing video with the 5G iPod, it underscored it by 1.5 hours. That was a nice surprise.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
but 2 years with Cingular for $500-$600. No thanks. I'll wait until some unlocked units become available. That and when that virtual keyboard proves itself. I can't see that touchscreen remaining in good shape if it has to do all the heavy lifting.

Maybe you can do a 1 year contract and pay a little more? You can usually do that...

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Consider the source.
I trust Apple.

For what it's worth, when Apple announced the battery life for playing video with the 5G iPod, it underscored it by 1.5 hours. That was a nice surprise.
Consider the source? Wow. The cult of Mac.

This is a massive corporation trying to sell you one of the most expensive phones out there and make money.

Why should I believe them? This is just silly, comparing battery life of existing products to something that no one can touch.

Forgive me if I'm skeptical and want to wait for 3rd party verification.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
c'mon...lets face it some of you.....palm is dumb. 700w? 680?

for heaven's sake......that's innovation and you've been in the business how long?

bigwalton

Jan 30, 2001
Visit site
This is just silly, comparing battery life of existing products to something that no one can touch.

Forgive me if I'm skeptical and want to wait for 3rd party verification.

Why is it "silly"?

Be skeptical, fine, but in the absence of any other data and the fact that Apple has been pretty good about their battery life claims, why shouldn't it be cited? No one's claiming that it's the EXACT amount you'll get...

There's a review of the Cingular 750 on the front page here on Treocentral that cites Palm's claim on talk time and just tempers that with normal skepticism:

""...Palm says that this should give you about 4 hours of talk time and 250 hours of standby - though it's likely that if you're in a market with 3G UMTS service that standby time may be a bit worse."

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1040-1.htm

I don't see why we shouldn't compare their claim to other phones proven times....

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

for heaven's sake......that's innovation and you've been in the business how long?
The last innovation from Palm was when they bought Handspring. The last innovation in the product line was the 600. I still have mine and it is branded Handspring. Palm seems unable to innovate. Too bad, so sad, so long.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

how is lack of 3g in a device 6 months from now "innovation"? You throw that word around like it's the end all, be all of devices.

How is my refrigerator innovative? How is my regular TV innovative? Give me a break, we're talking about phones here: they make and take calls, that's it. Are you going to make 'better' calls with the iPhone? Does that even mean anything? But this is where you mac cultists cross over from enjoying your (non-existent) product to attacking everyone else's choice.

And if you're actually happy with the 700wx (like I am) then your argument really holds no water. I guess you just need fancy, shiny objects with whizz-wow graphics to impress you. Some of us are more subtle.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I think he likes Windows actually.

However, I agree that 3G would have really been great!
Actually, if this was appearing on Sprint with EvDO RevA (3g) or the hint of Wimax (4G)I'd most certainly pick one up (but giving up VOIP and Slingbox would be difficult).

I do like Wm5 (or rather, I'm content with it) but I own a Treo 650 too and I'm a big fan of anything that lets me use the latest technology out there. This doesn't do that and there is no way I'm switching to Cingular.

That's really my only beef here:

- Higher Cingular fees (data and voice)
- Less coverage (for myself)
- No 4g or even 3g on the iPhone
- No prospect of Sling and VOIP (but this could change)

All the rest of the potential issues? Giant screen, battery life, keyboard, closed system, 2-year contract, high price etc. I'm willing to let slide for now and give it a chance when it actually comes out to hear from users.

I'd be giving up a lot to get this thing. We'll see in 2009 when Cingular's exclusive is up though...

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2