Apple iPhone. Oh. My. God.

Shucks

Aug 8, 2004
Visit site
On the calendar/contacts function. Would you have to have a Mac to use it, or would it come with some kind of software that you could use on a PC? I also need some kind of ereader with it. Looking forward to checking it out,but I just got the 680 and it has been real solid.

mrjoec

Dec 1, 2000
www.joecieplinski.com
It's compatible with Macs and PCs, so it should sync your calendar items. Not sure on the details, though. Don't know how it will interact with Outlook, vs. Outlook express, etc. That's probably still under development.

mymellowman

Feb 11, 2005
Visit site
I have to say that I am about as excited as anyone else about this phone, but I wonder why Apple chose to go with EDGE over 3G data? This is the only thing that made me ask why/

As for the price, it is a little steaper than I had hope for, but that's usually how Apple runs with a new toy. It'll probably hit it up on the second generation, but I am completely hyped about this.

KRamsauer

Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
The only thing that is a dealbreaker for me is the lack of replaceable battery. Sure, I know it will likely have some kind of backpack add-on, but I don't want to go back to my Treo 600 days. Other than that, HOLY COW. It's almost enough for me to go iTunes up and down (rather than Windows media). And even on that, time will tell.

mrjoec

Dec 1, 2000
www.joecieplinski.com
I was a bit disappointed with EDGE, too, but with WiFi it won't be that big a deal to me. Especially since in a year my entire city will most likely be wired for WiFi.

I'm worried about battery life more than anything else. That's the real question mark for me. Lately, Apple's been very conservative with their estimates. (Ever since they got sued about the original iPod's battery life.) So I trust that 5 hours number. But I want to know what the "standby" time is for iPhone. Standby, meaning phone radio on, but no calls or data transfer happening. If it can last a day with slightly more than casual use, that'll be fine for me. I can't imagine will will be worse than my current 680's battery.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I think a lot of people are missing the point, here. Sure, we have 90% of the functionality of iPhone right now with our Treos. But we also had 90% of iPod's functionality with the MP3 Jukeboxes that were around at that time.

It's not about functionality; it's about the complete customer experience. (Something that Palm used to understand well but no longer seems to get.) iPhone makes every mobile product at CES look ridiculous. From a user-interface/design perspective, it's at least two years ahead of anyone else's mobile products. Every major cell phone/consumer electronics company on earth is heading back to the drawing board as of this morning.

This is the product that will eventually make average people actually want to buy communicators. This is the product that will finally bring the cost of wireless data down to something reasonable. This is the product that will force every other manufacturer to stop making geek toys and start making truly remarkable innovations again.

Palm had better be ready soon with Hawkins' "secret" device. They're going to need it by June, if they want to stay relevant in mobile computing.

Man, I've never been so happy to be wrong about Apple. I was so sure they weren't going to head in this direction with iPhone.

This is but a small step into a much larger electronics world for Apple. They essentially just wrote the gold standard for communicators. Everyone from this point on is going to have to match or beat that standard. It's great for Apple; it's great for the other companies, who now have more healthy competition and motivation; and most importantly, it's great for us, because we're going to have a lot more great products at our fingertips a year from now.

Part of me feels sorry for Palm. The other part is happy to no longer be waiting for POS/UMTS. All of me is glad to have a viable alternative to WM.

areyouwishing

Apr 24, 2005
Visit site
The only thing that is a dealbreaker for me is the lack of replaceable battery. Sure, I know it will likely have some kind of backpack add-on, but I don't want to go back to my Treo 600 days. Other than that, HOLY COW. It's almost enough for me to go iTunes up and down (rather than Windows media). And even on that, time will tell.

The battery is replaceable.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
As I recall, he said something like, "replaceable like the iPods". Which means it is replaceable but you have to pay a fee. They do it on the spot at Apple Stores. Otherwise you have to send it in.

It is worth it though if they are getting the 5/16 out of it. I like the way the battery becomes part of the phone case. Something I suggested that Palm should have done here at TreoCentral about a month or 2 ago when I complained about the 680's battery problems... and its price.

ebrandwein

Oct 3, 2000
Visit site
Great hardware...

but 2 years with Cingular for $500-$600. No thanks. I'll wait until some unlocked units become available. That and when that virtual keyboard proves itself. I can't see that touchscreen remaining in good shape if it has to do all the heavy lifting.

ion++

Feb 17, 2005
Visit site
iphone+BT keyboard+good PIM Office Apps = Nirvana
Can you walk and type on the keyboard while watching the screen and glance at where you are walking to avoid other passengers?

Can you press a single letter to see all contacts with names starting with that letter? Scrolling through 34893454534545456458 entries is annoying.