Maybe you can do a 1 year contract and pay a little more? You can usually do that...
    No. Cingular announced today that

1) even existing customers have to sign a new 2 year contract
    2) new customers of course do too

no one year for this device.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...iphone-launch/
    01-11-2007 06:56 PM
    No. Cingular announced today that

1) even existing customers have to sign a new 2 year contract
    2) new customers of course do too

no one year for this device.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...iphone-launch/
    Sounds like Palm, not Apple.
    01-11-2007 07:59 PM
    c'mon...lets face it some of you.....palm is dumb. 700w? 680?

for heaven's sake......that's innovation and you've been in the business how long?
    01-12-2007 01:32 AM
    This is just silly, comparing battery life of existing products to something that no one can touch.

Forgive me if I'm skeptical and want to wait for 3rd party verification.
    Why is it "silly"?

Be skeptical, fine, but in the absence of any other data and the fact that Apple has been pretty good about their battery life claims, why shouldn't it be cited? No one's claiming that it's the EXACT amount you'll get...

There's a review of the Cingular 750 on the front page here on Treocentral that cites Palm's claim on talk time and just tempers that with normal skepticism:

""...Palm says that this should give you about 4 hours of talk time and 250 hours of standby - though it's likely that if you're in a market with 3G UMTS service that standby time may be a bit worse."

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1040-1.htm

I don't see why we shouldn't compare their claim to other phones proven times....
    01-12-2007 04:34 AM

for heaven's sake......that's innovation and you've been in the business how long?
    The last innovation from Palm was when they bought Handspring. The last innovation in the product line was the 600. I still have mine and it is branded Handspring. Palm seems unable to innovate. Too bad, so sad, so long.
    01-12-2007 08:45 AM

how is lack of 3g in a device 6 months from now "innovation"? You throw that word around like it's the end all, be all of devices.

How is my refrigerator innovative? How is my regular TV innovative? Give me a break, we're talking about phones here: they make and take calls, that's it. Are you going to make 'better' calls with the iPhone? Does that even mean anything? But this is where you mac cultists cross over from enjoying your (non-existent) product to attacking everyone else's choice.

And if you're actually happy with the 700wx (like I am) then your argument really holds no water. I guess you just need fancy, shiny objects with whizz-wow graphics to impress you. Some of us are more subtle.
    01-12-2007 09:36 AM
    I think he likes Windows actually.

However, I agree that 3G would have really been great!
    01-12-2007 10:13 AM
    I think he likes Windows actually.

However, I agree that 3G would have really been great!
    Actually, if this was appearing on Sprint with EvDO RevA (3g) or the hint of Wimax (4G)I'd most certainly pick one up (but giving up VOIP and Slingbox would be difficult).

I do like Wm5 (or rather, I'm content with it) but I own a Treo 650 too and I'm a big fan of anything that lets me use the latest technology out there. This doesn't do that and there is no way I'm switching to Cingular.

That's really my only beef here:

- Higher Cingular fees (data and voice)
    - Less coverage (for myself)
    - No 4g or even 3g on the iPhone
    - No prospect of Sling and VOIP (but this could change)

All the rest of the potential issues? Giant screen, battery life, keyboard, closed system, 2-year contract, high price etc. I'm willing to let slide for now and give it a chance when it actually comes out to hear from users.

I'd be giving up a lot to get this thing. We'll see in 2009 when Cingular's exclusive is up though...
    01-12-2007 10:23 AM
    When does Wimax get to the US? We can't even roll out 3G in many spots!
    01-12-2007 10:47 AM
    When does Wimax get to the US? We can't even roll out 3G in many spots!
    Late 2007, starting with all places Chicago and Washington DC.

You have to read this article to understand the ramifications of Sprint and Wimax: it could really change the mobile industry on the ISP end like iPhone will do on the consumer end.

Sprint and WiMax: Are these guys serious?

WiMAX World: Sprint targets Chicago, D.C.

No way am I missing this thing :thumbsup:
    01-12-2007 10:54 AM
    how is lack of 3g in a device 6 months from now "innovation"? You throw that word around like it's the end all, be all of devices.

How is my refrigerator innovative? How is my regular TV innovative? Give me a break, we're talking about phones here: they make and take calls, that's it. Are you going to make 'better' calls with the iPhone? Does that even mean anything? But this is where you mac cultists cross over from enjoying your (non-existent) product to attacking everyone else's choice.

And if you're actually happy with the 700wx (like I am) then your argument really holds no water. I guess you just need fancy, shiny objects with whizz-wow graphics to impress you. Some of us are more subtle.

you mis-read/mis-interpreted. the 680 and 700w have been failures in my eyes....what am i saying? they've been in business for a long while now and still can't produce an exceptional device
    01-12-2007 01:36 PM
    you mis-read/mis-interpreted. the 680 and 700w have been failures in my eyes....what am i saying? they've been in business for a long while now and still can't produce an exceptional device
    The 680 is admittedly disappointing from a power user perspective, otoh it is meant to be their "low end" device for the masses. Whether or not it is a success, I dunno.

The 700w was popular yet a failure but was a nice first attempt. The 700wx, with it's nearly tripled memory, fixed the main complaint and is one of the most popular WM5 devices out in the US market. Many users are happy with the 700wx compared to other WM5 devices.

Only big issue: Bluetooth could be better. All else is nearly perfect, imo.

Considering how much their WM5 devices have displaced their PalmOS devices, I'd consider them to be a success. They are certainly better and more thought out than HTC devices since they "fixed" a lot of WM5 shortcomings and made them more user friendly.

What do you find a failure about the 700wx or 750 series?
    01-12-2007 03:13 PM
    No built-in wifi when that should be a given for phones like that, is one. Old BT stack is another.
    01-12-2007 03:19 PM
    No built-in wifi when that should be a given for phones like that, is one. Old BT stack is another.
    built in wifi would have been nice, but using an SDIO card is a nice option.

Having EvDO though is much easier/robust than Wifi.
    01-12-2007 03:28 PM
    700wx: sprint, antenna, heavy
    750c: lesser resolution, edge (not all that much slower) less big, less heavy, but still big and heavy
    01-12-2007 03:49 PM
    700wx: sprint, antenna, heavy
    750c: lesser resolution, edge (not all that much slower) less big, less heavy, but still big and heavy
    750 is 3G, not EDGE.

01-12-2007 03:52 PM
    What do you find a failure about the 700wx or 750 series?
    No Palm OS.
    BT 2.0
    um....wifi?
    01-12-2007 04:46 PM
    No Palm OS.
    BT 2.0
    um....wifi?
    No PalmOS? You have the 700p. Not my fault it's not a good OS anymore

BT 2.0: Even I said the BT was the one area that needed improvement

Wifi: is nice to have and SDIO wifi is at least possible. Still, I find EvDO more convenient.

Of course there is room for improvement on the 700wx/750, no one is denying that. But to call it a "failure" because you find it too heavy or has no wifi (neither of which bother me or others who own it)? That's a bit stringent and possibly over exaggerating.

Can I call the iPhone a failure b/c it has no 3g then? Or because I can't install software, run GPS or that it's on Cingular and service is poor and more expensive? Fair is fair.
    01-12-2007 05:00 PM
    I am suprised no one has made a big deal about the bluetooth in this thing. Its going to have BT 2.0 EDR.

The only phone that I know of that has BT with that level of power is the Razr. Basically, EDR should allow you to be ~200-300 feet from your phone using your headset (with a quality BT headset).

This is a VERY big deal.

Note: I am 99% sure I will never buy this phone.
    01-12-2007 05:01 PM

BT 2.0: Even I said the BT was the one area that needed improvement

Wifi: is nice to have and SDIO wifi is at least possible. Still, I find EvDO more convenient.

Of course there is room for improvement on the 700wx/750, no one is denying that. But to call it a "failure" because you find it too heavy or has no wifi (neither of which bother me or others who own it)? That's a bit stringent and possibly over exaggerating.

Can I call the iPhone a failure b/c it has no 3g then? Or because I can't install software, run GPS or that it's on Cingular and service is poor and more expensive? Fair is fair.
    My complaint is more that the POS seems to have fallen by the wayside and the windows versions have, apparently, continued to be improved. I think there's a serious issue with the POS side of their software development teams. As a Mac user, pun intended, I have felt like a 2nd class citizen watching the "other side" progress while we've stagnated.
    01-12-2007 05:08 PM
    My complaint is more that the POS seems to have fallen by the wayside and the windows versions have, apparently, continued to be improved. I think there's a serious issue with the POS side of their software development teams. As a Mac user, pun intended, I have felt like a 2nd class citizen watching the "other side" progress while we've stagnated.
    Fully understandable.

I own and enjoy my 650 and would have loved to seen POS develop further. It's like Netscape vs IE all over again: IE didn't win b/c it was necessarily better but b/c Netscape dropped the ball (for whatever reason).
    01-12-2007 05:10 PM
    Hmmm...so when the battery juice runs out we shall have to mail it back and wait what? 2-3 weeks turnaround plus the expense? I hope some of you keep your old phones! This phone will make a good secondary phone for my treo..but replace it? I doubt...maybe a 3G one with replaceable battery and 3rd party apps (which was one off the main reasons I got a treo rather than say a P910i or E62)...seems they don't intend to allow much:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/...ked-questions/
    01-12-2007 05:29 PM
    I'll get one just as quick as I can get one unlocked. I'll keep the 680 til then.
    you'll have a two yearr wait from all reports..by then who knows what else will be on the market...and it p*sses me off that it's totally locked into cingular..who aren't even that global!

Developing countries provide a large slice of the pie (ask Nokia - that's why they're one of the biggest companies worldwide)...a locked GSM is crazy..I hope someone figures ut how to unlock it fast...apple has shout us out really! :thumbsdn:
    01-12-2007 05:33 PM
    While the WM side needs a lot of improvement, I do not see it. While I would prefer to have POS, I am glad to have any alternative to WM.
    01-12-2007 07:34 PM
    No, nor is your fault that it is CDMA only.
    01-12-2007 07:39 PM
99 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD