Apple iPhone. Oh. My. God.

Tissa

Feb 19, 2005
Visit site
June is when they'll be available.
They are awesome.
Finally..........
Wi-fi, no audio problems, great mac customer service. My dream come true!
For what it does, it's much cheaper than any Treo!

mepex

Sep 14, 2004
Visit site
Looks pretty sweet, but a touchscreen keyboard? I know they wanna be a stylish and everything, but I can't imagine a touchscreen KB approaching the Treo's in terms of usability. But I'm willing to be persuaded.

StoneOfLove

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
While this thing is very cool, good luck to those who think the battery life on the 680 is piss poor.

The iPhone will rock in about two years!

ediamond

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
Not so fast. First of all, 90% of the functionality exists right now in my Palm. I have to say they had my money until they mentioned Cingular. No thanks. I'll wait for the 2nd gen. There is still a lot we don't know: how's the reception? What does wifi do to their non-replaceable battery? how easily is the screen scratched? how responsive is the touch screen? How rugged the housing? How pocketable? And $500 plus a 2-year contract with Cingular's insane data plans? Please.

I'll probably jump eventually as I am a Mac person, but only if I can get an unlocked one. I am done with contract phones, even one as sexy as this one.

r6girl

Sep 9, 2004
macgirl.net
i'm pretty impressed with the iphone. funny how i was thinking just the other day that i am really enjoying my 680 (it's such an improvement over the 600 i had a few years ago) and that this was going to be a smartphone i would keep for several years. then the iphone is announced. i'll have to see the iphone in person before i actually buy one, but i think it's fairly safe to say that the gadget fiend in me will take over and i will get one. it is inevitable that i will swoon in the face of a shiny new apple gadget and hand over my credit card. i am such a consumer.

thesoze

Sep 4, 2004
Visit site
jeez, my new 680 just looks so aged like a 486 CPU...does one hear a bomb explode at the Palm headquarters if they do not even hear it?

wow, I'll never buy a Mac but their consumer products are state of the art...

my Treo feels real clunky -

Palm must feel real stupid right now!

Der Wanderer

Jan 9, 2007
Visit site
I am very impressed by the new iPhone. I mean... Apple did it again. Even I, Apple-fan as I am, wouldn't have thought it possible. As an overall communicating device it is incredible!

But I don't think it'll threaten the place of my Treo 680 for a long time. It'll take a couple of years before iPhone can compete with Palm's versatility: where is the ability to view and edit Word/Excel-documents? Where are all the software that have made my Palms indispensable for me? When will it have the necessary accessories, such as a foldable keyboard? Besides, I like graffitti and can only hope Apple will introduce a Newton-like handwriting recognition on the iPhone in the future. The virtual keyboard is clearly not adequate for writing more than the shortest of messages. Last but not least, the price in Europe (without a contract) is likely to be astronomical.

All I can say is that I love Mac, but long live Palm!

Edwaelec

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
wooooooooooooooow!!
one treo 650 for sale in june...just got the bloody thing last week!!!!
On paper its excellent,that touchscreen better be tough,gonna get poked alot!!!
When apple said there releasing an iphone...i did not expect this!!!
so its has mac os x...hmmmm...2 player of starcraft over edge anyone???

bigcatny

Dec 6, 2006
Visit site
Obviously it's me, but I'm failing to see how it's so much functionally better than what we have. The treo already does just about everything they are touting including the touchscreen. I agree that it remains to be seen how this product really works away from the marketing hype and over-reactions of the few mac loyalists, but I'm especially skeptical about the onscreen keyboard. One reason I like the treo is the tactile feedback of the real buttons on the keyboard. That said, I also own an ipod so if it's truly that great, I'll get one (although I'm very skeptical).

Oh yes, and also obviously I'm not a Mac person.

heterodoxos

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
I admit to being an Apple fan boy but they really have outdone themselves this time and exceeded all of my expectations. For those concerned about applications, the fact that it runs OSX should make it, I imagine, relatively easy to develop for.

My only disappointment is that it won't be released in Europe until the end of the year. I do wonder how they will deal with network customisation, I don't imagine Apple allowing this as other manufacturers do. I remain hopeful that we will be able to buy it unlocked. Until that time I will console myself with the possibility of a 3G version when we finally get our hands on it and that the Vaja case I ordered over the weekend for my 680 won't be a complete waste!

aaronlam

Apr 29, 2005
Visit site
Well...

As a recent Mac converter from a life long love for PC's... and also a life long user of Palm devices since the Palm II...

If the battery life for this phone is anything like the battery life on Macbooks, their predictions will be accurate.

Mac not only has great consumer products but they put together the best laptop on the market IMO. Solid, clean and works beautifully... I'd trust their designers with my money any day.

The article said that the phone runs OSX. I wouldn't be surprised if you could install OSX programs on the phone.. or maybe there will be scaled down versions. But I am sure they wouldn't oversight Word/Excel functionality.

Isilo went out the window for me the day my Treo 650 allowed me to surf the web without any other device (modem, wifi, etc). Why would you still web clip? Esp since DocsToGo supports PDF's now... I just don't want to have a bunch of files in some proprietary non-universal format.

I think the big jury is on the keyboard and how responsive typing on a touchpad really is. It will be interesting but I have faith in the Apple designers. They made that touchwheel on the iPods so popular as well as the two touch pads on the laptops. I don't think I would go to the iPhone if they keyboard didn't work well though... I couldn't imagine not being able to email or text message on my phone now.

We'll wait and see!

aaron

mrjoec

Dec 1, 2000
www.joecieplinski.com
I think a lot of people are missing the point, here. Sure, we have 90% of the functionality of iPhone right now with our Treos. But we also had 90% of iPod's functionality with the MP3 Jukeboxes that were around at that time.

It's not about functionality; it's about the complete customer experience. (Something that Palm used to understand well but no longer seems to get.) iPhone makes every mobile product at CES look ridiculous. From a user-interface/design perspective, it's at least two years ahead of anyone else's mobile products. Every major cell phone/consumer electronics company on earth is heading back to the drawing board as of this morning.

This is the product that will eventually make average people actually want to buy communicators. This is the product that will finally bring the cost of wireless data down to something reasonable. This is the product that will force every other manufacturer to stop making geek toys and start making truly remarkable innovations again.

Palm had better be ready soon with Hawkins' "secret" device. They're going to need it by June, if they want to stay relevant in mobile computing.

Man, I've never been so happy to be wrong about Apple. I was so sure they weren't going to head in this direction with iPhone.

This is but a small step into a much larger electronics world for Apple. They essentially just wrote the gold standard for communicators. Everyone from this point on is going to have to match or beat that standard. It's great for Apple; it's great for the other companies, who now have more healthy competition and motivation; and most importantly, it's great for us, because we're going to have a lot more great products at our fingertips a year from now.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2