apple IPhone

calebu2#IM

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
Twist it, and crack the screen.... seems way too fragile.

If I can break the screen on a blackberry by dropping it in its case, I hate to think how quickly I'd break this thing.

I see it as a status symbol device that some people will love to own and show off and pay handsomely for, but will use in less imaginative ways that most power users use their existing equipment.

I also see a cottage industry in iWipes to clean the iScreen on your iPhone after you got your iGreasy iFingers on it.

dartmouth01

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
If 4.5 x 2.4 x .46 is really the size, then I think this phone will be great. Mac stuff always seem to work very well for the average consumer, and I bet the iPhone will be the same.

Jdoc

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
Steve said you can type faster on the new Multi-touch screen than on our "plastic little buttons". I'm not really buying into this argument tho.

I hate touching these screens during prolonged periods without a stylus. I absolutely hated touching the screen to dial when I had my 6700.

I mean eventually we will need to click on a very small button or something, our thumbs are usually too big for that.

EDGE makes it even less appealing... Its crazy right now a 3G era they choose such old technology... I'm sure a lot of people will be complaining when they wont be receiving calls because the "widgets" are actively using the internet.

It looks really slick though, and I'm sure it will be a huge hit with the average joe that loves the iPod and has a regular cellphone. The UI is easy enough for them.

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
Cingular really knows how to utalize there new 3-G network taking on the iphone Junker with edge download speeds-WOW
Im sure many kids will like it for the cool factor.All that extra space for mp3 downloads fits great in there lunch box and back packs in school.

cking

Aug 27, 2002
Visit site
The iPhone has me about 90% sure that I will be changing over to Cingular from Sprint, where I have been a multi-line customer for about eight years. I remember seeing a quote a few weeks back from a higher-up at Palm, either here on this site or Engadget or some other tech site. It went something like "we're not worried about Apple, they don't have the experience to compete in the smartphone arena".

Hate to burst your bubble Palm, but you were just taught a lesson this afternoon, and that is to not rest on your laurels for too long. The iPhone is far from perfect, but it is a heck of a lot closer than the Treo. I would gladly trade EVDO data for EDGE, as long as I was getting that 320x480/160ppi screen in place of the crummy 240x240 WM screen. And I would gladly trade 8GB of built-in storage and no card slot for the Treo card slot that only recognizes up to 4GB in its slot anyways.

The rest is just gravy...thinner, lighter, 802.11b/g, BT 2.0 EDR, iPod dock connector (accessories!), 2.0MP video cam, iPod functionality, etc. This phone is even better than all the rumors were making it out to be, a pleasant surprise. The integration between all of the features looks amazing, just like using a Mac. Windows Mobile is not like using Windows on a desktop computer. The price for all of us Treo owners is pretty much a non-factor, because were used to spending $400+ on phones, sometimes a couple of times a year.

This next few months more than likely will be my last Sprint contract, and I would even consider an ETF if I had to, but I should be able to wait it out. Like I mentioned, I am a long-time Sprint customer and a big Treo fan, going back to the original, hideous Treo 300, the Treo 600, the Treo 650, and now the 700wx, so this will probably be a big change for me.

Jdoc

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
Cingular really knows how to utalize there new 3-G network taking on the iphone Junker with edge download speeds-WOW
Im sure many kids will like it for the cool factor.All that extra space for mp3 downloads fits great in there lunch box and back packs in school.

Dude, thats too funny! :D

This thread does not belong in the 700w forum.

Your post doesnt belong in this thread either.

If you think its in the wrong forum why are you replying with irrelevant information then?

and the OP especifically asked who is going do ditch their 700wx for the iPhone. Not the 700p, 650, 680.

mkjellman

Jun 25, 2006
Visit site
i too was worried when i first heard it was totally touch screen. I'll have to try it myself but apple has filed 200 patients on this phone alone.....i have a feeling after seeing steve type that they have have it work..

in theory they are right, buttons arn't great, but i too agree that after my 6700 experience, i like the buttons. Windows Mobile sucks so i'll take that ok, which seemed very fast in the demos in the keynote over anything microsoft has to date..

and also, have you seen the new upgrade "Crossbow" to WM....they changed the colors a bit....microsoft, you need to really change things up and make it so i don't have to soft reset once every 1-3 days...

Vander

Mar 23, 2006
Visit site
I agree with Cking's post Palm and others just got a lesson in product development and marketing. CES was a bust compared to Steve's announcement today. From a numbers standpoint, if apple gets only 10 percent of their installed base of ipod users to convert they will represent the largest smartphone company bar none! For that matter Cingular only has 58 million users total, as compared to Apple's 100 million user base.

Sure I love my 700w that rarely syncs on the first time, needs to be rebooted about every other day, locks up when it runs out of memory...those who talk about this as a toy...I'd rather have a toy that works than a business tool that taxes my productivity.

I'm jumping ship...phone contract or not...just give me a device that works!

Congrat's Steve...good job!

bmargolis

Aug 20, 2004
Visit site
Who is ditching their 700w/wx for this thing. I absolutely love my treo, but this thing appears to be amazing at first glance.

Steve Jobs thinks Apple users don't use or want Exchange??? I use a Mac at work and really love it, but I could not live without Exchange Server. My Treo 700wx is a valuable business tool. I use Entourage on my Mac to get to my Exchange Server. No one else in the office uses it and I'l slowly showing them the advantages.

How do Mac users get Exchange "like" features? Is there a product for the Mac that I don't know about?

Bob

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
What I do like about the Iphone junker is the wake up call to WM and friends.
There going to be pretty busy at last fixing the shortcomings of there future device release before made avalible to public.

Were this apple falls off the tree?
Collage Kids hands
Iphone junker+WIFI+collage campus wifi networks are apples main target which =$$$$$

Casabooboo

Mar 12, 2006
Visit site
Not a big Ipod fan, so will have to wait and see.
My BIG concern is the battery life. Me thinks will need to carry 14 batteries to get through the day!

NextDream

Feb 17, 2005
Visit site
Twist it, and crack the screen.... seems way too fragile.

There is a $6 a month cure for that's called Total Equipment Protection. We already have it on treos and who wouldn't have insurance on a $600 phone?

Im sure there will be no shortage of cases...silicone, leather, hard plastic.

fumblerooski

Oct 31, 2005
Visit site
Hmmm, not sure what to make of it...

1. This thing will prolly scratch like a biotch
2. No hard keyboard sucks. This means NO SPEED DIAL and no contacts search without navigating menus. This is one thing I love about the Today screen.
3. No office/productivity/exchange software? Did I miss that?
4. Slow data
5. Cingular only
6. No expandable memory is a big deal. 4 or 8 gigs on board is very nice, though
7. Is there a scroll wheel on the side like a blackberry? I didn't see the keynote but the online demo looks like there is some type of scrolling function. It appears to be a touchscreen scrolling function which will probably be tough to master.

Pros:

1. The UI does look very nice and that screen is *****in. I'd be curious to see how call quality is and how the phone handles multitasking (if it even can). I'm sure you can listen to music while on the web.
2. The enhanced music software is big for me as WMPM is hardly the bees' knees.
3. The web rendering with zoom is great
4. GPS with Google maps partnership? Nice!

I don't know, I think this will be a great toy/status symbol but I think it will fall short for a business device. I do think that the tweener smartphone will be a big market in years to come as most people want more out of their cell phones but don't need all the Treo has to offer.

mkjellman

Jun 25, 2006
Visit site
Hmmm, not sure what to make of it...

1. This thing will prolly scratch like a biotch

-finger prints, yes, but no more than my treo screen

2. No hard keyboard sucks. This means NO SPEED DIAL and no contacts search without navigating menus. This is one thing I love about the Today screen.

-agree with you here

3. No office/productivity/exchange software? Did I miss that?

-there is push email with yahoo imap, free to all users (compared to a cal for either BBC or Exchange)

4. Slow data

-yes, give them time....very few phones on the market are HSPDA and they have been working on this for 2+ years

5. Cingular only

-Cingular sucks, but recently verzion hasn't been impressing me...maybe i've been on the otherside for too long

6. No expandable memory is a big deal. 4 or 8 gigs on board is very nice, though

-REALLY disagree with you here. This is what made the iPod so popular..its simple...4 to 8 gigs is enough for the lifespan and intended use of the device

7. Is there a scroll wheel on the side like a blackberry? I didn't see the keynote but the online demo looks like there is some type of scrolling function. It appears to be a touchscreen scrolling function which will probably be tough to master.

-you should watch the keynote...there is no scroll wheel...apple reinvented the way to scroll by actually moving things around with the multi-touch screen...i think this is actually much easier than clicking a small arrow on a treo in the bottom right corner or using a jog wheel ala RIM....BUT, i have yet to use the phone....touching the actual thing and moving it just seems natural to me...to each there own, thats why we have capitalism

Pros:

1. The UI does look very nice and that screen is *****in. I'd be curious to see how call quality is and how the phone handles multitasking (if it even can). I'm sure you can listen to music while on the web.

-steve spent a lot of time showing the multitasking of the phone...he actually was on a call, pulled up the iPhoto equivalent, attached it in an email, sent it while on the call (plus to using GSM) and then continued talking to Phil....try doing that in WM5 (at least on a 700w)

2. The enhanced music software is big for me as WMPM is hardly the bees' knees.

-the interface with coverflow can't be beat

3. The web rendering with zoom is great
4. GPS with Google maps partnership? Nice!

I don't know, I think this will be a great toy/status symbol but I think it will fall short for a business device. I do think that the tweener smartphone will be a big market in years to come as most people want more out of their cell phones but don't need all the Treo has to offer.

we just need to see how yahoo deals with this...if there is push email i really am not tied to exchange for getting it to my phone as long as i am allowed to keep my address......

also, coming from the 6700 i'm not totally sold on a soft keyboard, but apple did do a lot of innovation and some who have used the phone are describing it as (rubbery) which may help typing...this is going to be very personal and not as universal as the scroll wheel on ipods...

i really recommend you check out the keynote or website however...you may learn a thing or two (from a dedicated Treo user)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner