goodbye Treo....helloooo

dslunceford

Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
How many people are going to be calling Steve's new phone, I wonder?

dsc_0179.jpg

haroldo

Aug 19, 2006
Visit site
Just wonder what typing is going to be like without any buttons. It is okay for a few characters, but touch screen typing might get old real fast if you got a lot of stuff to type. (just my opinion)

robguz

Feb 21, 2002
Visit site
Docs to Go? Pocket Quicken? Without those I'm not switching. WiFi would sure be nice though. Oh well, maybe in a few years when Palm is dead and hopefully those apps will run on it and a Palm OS emulator will run on it.

waldo15

Apr 21, 2006
Visit site
Oh man, after reading the specs and hearing about it, I see now that a major "earthquake" shook up the entire smartphone arena. Will this iPhone do what the iPod did for MP3 players? Possibly.

From the keynote and photos and blogs and what have you, this is serious $#it. Full OS X support (which BTW remains to be seen how "complete" it really is) plus multitouch input and on-screen typing are definitely eye-catching features. But bear in mind that tactile feedback is what has kept us from switching our keyboards (PC, Treo, etc) to optical-type inputs. Still, one has to try it to get convinced that this is the next big thing.

One has to say that Palm is in serious trouble, too many smartphone designers are going after our beloved Treo. I was getting a bit weary of HTC and their always sound deisgn, but Apple just smacked it out of the park...

Oh by golly, so much I loved my Treo! It's hard when relationships end like this :cry: Before today, my Treo was tha'bomb, after today my Treo is just a big hunky phone...

ambtreo

Sep 17, 2004
Visit site
Just wrote a summary on the thread below about the iPhone's capabilities, how much trouble Palm is in from this, and how Steve Jobs basically just put the fear of God into the CEO of Palm who had laughed at the iPhone competition just a few weeks ago.

iPhone = iToldYouSo (i.e. weToldYouSo) for Palm

Nice article Bob, you hit it on the head. Hopefully Ed & the boys will have the fear of god/bankruptcy shot into them and they will actually get their software developers to work on a solution/upgrade for the 700p POS. You are right on the lack of Exchange integration as being the only savior for Palm/Rimm. I bet that Colligan has hit the emergency speed dial labeled MSFT and he is begging for a buyout - that's Palm's only savior at this point.

Apple has the OS and the credibility to put out products that work, and then quickly release software patches to fix any subsequent errors. It is so easy to update the software on your iPod, you just plug it in, sync and iTunes automatically prompts you to do an upgrade - 2 min's later you're done.

Btw, Apple chose Cingular so they can sell these puppies to Vodafone and the rest of the world. 10 million iPhones in 2008 will be a no brainer IMO.

mshaw1515

Dec 23, 2004
Visit site
Three things...

1. WOW
2. No GPS?
3. Someone PLEASE get moving on a POS emulator for Mac OS X so I can use my $800 in Palm Apps on my new iPhone...

spearl8

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
Apple has dropped a bomb on the tech world. I'm a 4th generation treo user and this device is the most perfect piece of hardware I've ever seen. The motion sensing is ingenious!

bclancy

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Docs to Go? Pocket Quicken? Without those I'm not switching. WiFi would sure be nice though. Oh well, maybe in a few years when Palm is dead and hopefully those apps will run on it and a Palm OS emulator will run on it.
I'd make the switch (in a minute) from PalmOS to Os X, and I've never even used any Apple product. I know it's based on a Unix core, rock stable, and has a well-respected UI. You'll want to throw out your PalmOS for this one!

He123321

Feb 9, 2005
Visit site
I could see myself heading to Cingular, and dropping a $200 etf to Sprint. The iPhone is just to sexy to pass up, but I will not become a test mule. I'll hold off for a few months before jumping ship.

Frenzytom#CB

Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
Wow...how a few hours can make smartphones go from hero to zero. With Cingular being the only carrier now, I highly doubt they will be the only one for long. Apple has been burned before in trying to stick with exclusivity (PowerPC to name one) with no competition. You might be surprised if they came out with a CDMA version that might be different enough from the GSM version we saw today to make it "exclusive" for us CDMA users.

NextDream

Feb 17, 2005
Visit site
Wow...how a few hours can make smartphones go from hero to zero. With Cingular being the only carrier now, I highly doubt they will be the only one for long. Apple has been burned before in trying to stick with exclusivity (PowerPC to name one) with no competition. You might be surprised if they came out with a CDMA version that might be different enough from the GSM version we saw today to make it "exclusive" for us CDMA users.

Doubtful. Cingular has 58 million subscribers...and countless many more waiting to climb on board in June at this point. For two in the keynote address thats on the apple site(www.apple.com/iphone) Jobs brings out the Cingular CEO and they also go on to talk about how it will have things like visual voicemail which is something the carrier(cingular) has yet another exclusive on. I want an iphone with a SERO plan just as much as the next guy but I don't see it happening.

Sad that treocentral is taking the heat off of palm by hiding these threads in the "other devices" land.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW