Docs to Go? Pocket Quicken? Without those I'm not switching. WiFi would sure be nice though. Oh well, maybe in a few years when Palm is dead and hopefully those apps will run on it and a Palm OS emulator will run on it.
    01-09-2007 04:30 PM
    Oh man, after reading the specs and hearing about it, I see now that a major "earthquake" shook up the entire smartphone arena. Will this iPhone do what the iPod did for MP3 players? Possibly.

From the keynote and photos and blogs and what have you, this is serious $#it. Full OS X support (which BTW remains to be seen how "complete" it really is) plus multitouch input and on-screen typing are definitely eye-catching features. But bear in mind that tactile feedback is what has kept us from switching our keyboards (PC, Treo, etc) to optical-type inputs. Still, one has to try it to get convinced that this is the next big thing.

One has to say that Palm is in serious trouble, too many smartphone designers are going after our beloved Treo. I was getting a bit weary of HTC and their always sound deisgn, but Apple just smacked it out of the park...

Oh by golly, so much I loved my Treo! It's hard when relationships end like this :cry: Before today, my Treo was tha'bomb, after today my Treo is just a big hunky phone...
    01-09-2007 04:33 PM
    Just wrote a summary on the thread below about the iPhone's capabilities, how much trouble Palm is in from this, and how Steve Jobs basically just put the fear of God into the CEO of Palm who had laughed at the iPhone competition just a few weeks ago.

iPhone = iToldYouSo (i.e. weToldYouSo) for Palm
    01-09-2007 04:40 PM
    Ohhh, and I wonder how long Palm will drag their asses on that 700P ROM update now!!
    It will definitely be out before June 06.
    01-09-2007 04:41 PM
    Just wrote a summary on the thread below about the iPhone's capabilities, how much trouble Palm is in from this, and how Steve Jobs basically just put the fear of God into the CEO of Palm who had laughed at the iPhone competition just a few weeks ago.

iPhone = iToldYouSo (i.e. weToldYouSo) for Palm
    Nice article Bob, you hit it on the head. Hopefully Ed & the boys will have the fear of god/bankruptcy shot into them and they will actually get their software developers to work on a solution/upgrade for the 700p POS. You are right on the lack of Exchange integration as being the only savior for Palm/Rimm. I bet that Colligan has hit the emergency speed dial labeled MSFT and he is begging for a buyout - that's Palm's only savior at this point.

Apple has the OS and the credibility to put out products that work, and then quickly release software patches to fix any subsequent errors. It is so easy to update the software on your iPod, you just plug it in, sync and iTunes automatically prompts you to do an upgrade - 2 min's later you're done.

Btw, Apple chose Cingular so they can sell these puppies to Vodafone and the rest of the world. 10 million iPhones in 2008 will be a no brainer IMO.
    01-09-2007 04:50 PM
    How many people are going to be calling Steve's new phone, I wonder?

phone number answered by "thank you for calling apple- please press 1 for sales. . . "

and by the way sign me up for 1 of these when they go on sale - bibi vzw etf and all
    01-09-2007 05:10 PM
    i like the way it looks, I hate not having a keyboard
    I completely agree, but I'll reserve final judgment for when I try out the iPhone's onscreen keyboard.
    01-09-2007 06:20 PM
    Three things...

1. WOW
    2. No GPS?
    3. Someone PLEASE get moving on a POS emulator for Mac OS X so I can use my $800 in Palm Apps on my new iPhone...
    01-09-2007 07:14 PM
    It will definitely be out before June 06.
    Only if they have a time machine
    01-09-2007 08:08 PM
    this phone looks really nice, but as a previous poster said, typing and email on this phone would be NUTTS
    01-09-2007 08:46 PM
    Apple has dropped a bomb on the tech world. I'm a 4th generation treo user and this device is the most perfect piece of hardware I've ever seen. The motion sensing is ingenious!
    01-09-2007 09:05 PM
    Docs to Go? Pocket Quicken? Without those I'm not switching. WiFi would sure be nice though. Oh well, maybe in a few years when Palm is dead and hopefully those apps will run on it and a Palm OS emulator will run on it.
    I'd make the switch (in a minute) from PalmOS to Os X, and I've never even used any Apple product. I know it's based on a Unix core, rock stable, and has a well-respected UI. You'll want to throw out your PalmOS for this one!
    01-09-2007 09:25 PM
    I could see myself heading to Cingular, and dropping a $200 etf to Sprint. The iPhone is just to sexy to pass up, but I will not become a test mule. I'll hold off for a few months before jumping ship.
    01-09-2007 09:34 PM
    Wow...how a few hours can make smartphones go from hero to zero. With Cingular being the only carrier now, I highly doubt they will be the only one for long. Apple has been burned before in trying to stick with exclusivity (PowerPC to name one) with no competition. You might be surprised if they came out with a CDMA version that might be different enough from the GSM version we saw today to make it "exclusive" for us CDMA users.
    01-09-2007 09:38 PM
    Wow...how a few hours can make smartphones go from hero to zero. With Cingular being the only carrier now, I highly doubt they will be the only one for long. Apple has been burned before in trying to stick with exclusivity (PowerPC to name one) with no competition. You might be surprised if they came out with a CDMA version that might be different enough from the GSM version we saw today to make it "exclusive" for us CDMA users.
    Doubtful. Cingular has 58 million subscribers...and countless many more waiting to climb on board in June at this point. For two in the keynote address thats on the apple site(www.apple.com/iphone) Jobs brings out the Cingular CEO and they also go on to talk about how it will have things like visual voicemail which is something the carrier(cingular) has yet another exclusive on. I want an iphone with a SERO plan just as much as the next guy but I don't see it happening.

Sad that treocentral is taking the heat off of palm by hiding these threads in the "other devices" land.
    01-09-2007 10:35 PM
    holy crap...after this, watching the treo is like watchin black and white tv after hi-def plasma. there is no way in hell Palm is going to survive. i swear on a stack of Bibles that Gates is probably kickin up a **** storm where ever he is right now...to make Windows Mobile on-par with what we just saw.

and for once, i'm glad it didn't emphasize how it could edit Word docs or Excel spreadsheets...seriously, i've NEVER seen anyone do that on their phone. well, at least i've never seen anyone at my company do it. we just use laptops.

i like the implementation of the Safari web browser, the wifi (ya heard Palm?!), switchin apps WITHOUT lag, IM-styled sms, OS that is actually up-to-date, ambient light sensors, proximity sensors...i could go on and on...oh and it's made by Apple.

you know, for the very first time i'm tempted to switch to Cingular ...this is bad...sigh
    01-09-2007 10:47 PM
    holy crap...after this, watching the treo is like watchin black and white tv after hi-def plasma. there is no way in hell Palm is going to survive. i swear on a stack of Bibles that Gates is probably kickin up a **** storm where ever he is right now...to make Windows Mobile on-par with what we just saw.

and for once, i'm glad it didn't emphasize how it could edit Word docs or Excel spreadsheets...seriously, i've NEVER seen anyone do that on their phone. well, at least i've never seen anyone at my company do it. we just use laptops.

i like the implementation of the Safari web browser, the wifi (ya heard Palm?!), switchin apps WITHOUT lag, IM-styled sms, OS that is actually up-to-date, ambient light sensors, proximity sensors...i could go on and on...oh and it's made by Apple.

you know, for the very first time i'm tempted to switch to Cingular ...this is bad...sigh

Not Excel, but I have tweaked a few .doc files with Word.
    And really, what is worse about Cingular than ANY other carrier. You'll find just as many horror stories with Verizon, Sprint, Nextel, Alltel, etc. I've been with Cingular for almost 8 years now, and for the most part have been happy with their service and support. They've seriously pissed me off a few times, but so has DirecTV, the water company, BellSouth, etc. Nobody's perfect.
    01-09-2007 11:31 PM
    I wouldn't switch to Cingular if the service was free (actually since I work for Bellsouth is has been free, but I don't use it) I have Sprint and wouldn't switch to GSM for nothing.
    01-11-2007 09:57 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD