iPhone or Treo 750?

sbono13

Oct 10, 2003
www.pyslent.com
Does anyone know if the iPhone allows simultaneous transfer of voice AND data, like the 750 does?

That's kind of a big deal, for me.

I believe EDGE does not (network limitation), but the iphone OS does. So you could be on the phone and still use your WiFi connection, for example.

Keefer Lucas

Feb 8, 2001
Visit site
I think the thing that missing from the discussion, and an invisible hurdle for Apple to leap over is/will be the notion that the iPhone is - primarily - an entertainment device. Palm still has the advantage and acceptance as a business tool FIRST and foremost. When I spent $400 on my first Treo, no one in accounting batted an eye - its a phone and a PDA. While I can only speak for my own organization, I can say that I do not expect "the boys in accounting" to sign off on anyone's iPhone. Regardless of how well it handles contact, email, messaging, etc.

I am NOT saying that this "attitude" is right I am merely suggesting that it is/will be pervasive in the business community which makes up a huge percentage of smartphone sales. For me its the choice between spending company money on something like a Treo (or Moto Q, Dash or Blackjack, or Blackberry) or shelling out $600 of my own money for an iPhone. On that basis alone, my choice is SIMPLE.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I think the thing that missing from the discussion, and an invisible hurdle for Apple to leap over is/will be the notion that the iPhone is - primarily - an entertainment device.

Bandwidth required for entertainment (streaming video) is what makes it surprising that Aapple stayed with EDGE for iPhone.

daytontp

Oct 16, 2006
Visit site
No one has made a comment about wha tif the iPhone can not send or receive files wirelessly. Like beeming a file from one bluetooth device to another. I am sure the iTunes content will be locked down. Also, there appears to be no proper file browser either. Files are accessed through the apps that use them, like the iPhoto app for photos and iPod app for songs and videos and so on. I did not see anythign that allowed you to properly browse files on the device.

Chatter

Sep 1, 2002
www.chatteremail.com
A lot isnt known. Lets face it - everyone is projecting their dreams on this device, and since it isnt available, its hard to know which will come true and which will not.

Marc

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Jobs said this during his keynote address. You can stream it in Quicktime from apple web site.
I hate it when companies can't keep their info. straight.

Something similar happened with the 750, I think. A sentence on one page said it had a feature, then the Treo comparison chart suggested it did not.

*sigh*

iatricjb

Jun 28, 2003
Visit site
Data Entry

Is anyone else concerned about how you do data entry on the iPhone. I hate onscreen keyboards in tablets. If you look at the iPhone demo on the Apple web site you notice that they only do a very very short input into an email. If I can't create emails reasonably from the device, its useless. Thoughts?

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Is anyone else concerned about how you do data entry on the iPhone. I hate onscreen keyboards in tablets. If you look at the iPhone demo on the Apple web site you notice that they only do a very very short input into an email. If I can't create emails reasonably from the device, its useless. Thoughts?

I wouldn't expect them to input a ton of text. What makes you think their short input suggests that longer input would be problematic?

Tactile sensations are worth noting, but if the accuracy's there, so's the potential.

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
I posted this in another thread, but it fits here too:

This phone initially looks great, but it is plagued with the same issues that many windows phones have. It has been mentioned before, but I hate all soft buttons, you can;t dial without looking at the phone. And I would hate typing without any tactile feedback. If I wanted all screen, I would have gotten a 8525, I didn't.

The software is revolutionary, and I really like the look of it, but apart from Voicemail trick, my treo does everything already. Maybe not as slick, but I can do it. Threaded SMS, heard that before.

Is a pretty UI worth $600? Maybe, to some. Maybe to me... I'll have to see. BUt Palm has officially been served. Now it is there turn to respond, and the 680/750 isn't gonna be good enough.

frank-barnett

Jan 28, 2006
Visit site
I think the thing that missing from the discussion, and an invisible hurdle for Apple to leap over is/will be the notion that the iPhone is - primarily - an entertainment device. Palm still has the advantage and acceptance as a business tool FIRST and foremost. When I spent $400 on my first Treo, no one in accounting batted an eye - its a phone and a PDA. While I can only speak for my own organization, I can say that I do not expect "the boys in accounting" to sign off on anyone's iPhone. Regardless of how well it handles contact, email, messaging, etc.

I am NOT saying that this "attitude" is right I am merely suggesting that it is/will be pervasive in the business community which makes up a huge percentage of smartphone sales. For me its the choice between spending company money on something like a Treo (or Moto Q, Dash or Blackjack, or Blackberry) or shelling out $600 of my own money for an iPhone. On that basis alone, my choice is SIMPLE.

I was watching the webcast and thinking- am I going to use iTunes to manage my contacts? No- Outlooki- that is the de facto biz application that they would need to work with.

But they don't care about biz users- biz users are such a small percentage of customers- they want mom, dad, son and daughter of your typical household.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I posted this in another thread, but it fits here too:

Many Treo models cost around $600, as well. The deal comes in when one signs a new contract or something with a carrier.

I don't think we've been told that such offers WILL come, but have we been told that they definitely WON'T?

PDR447

Oct 2, 2006
Visit site
Many Treo models cost around $600, as well. The deal comes in when one signs a new contract or something with a carrier.

I don't think we've been told that such offers WILL come, but have we been told that they definitely WON'T?

umm, it's been stated that the 499 and 599 prices are WITH a 2 year contract. ie after discounts/incentives. Meaning that the out of contract price will be up around 699-799

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
umm, it's been stated that the 499 and 599 prices are WITH a 2 year contract. ie after discounts/incentives. Meaning that the out of contract price will be up around 699-799

I never caught that, anywhere. Did you read it or hear it in the keynote or...?

PDR447

Oct 2, 2006
Visit site
I never caught that, anywhere. Did you read it or hear it in the keynote or...?

it's in the keynote,as well as other places... and there won't be ANY deals on it. Cingular has already announced that their premier/business account holders(who usually get phones for less than what the general public pays) will have to pay the full 499/599.

so it's 499/599(with contract) take it or leave it

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
it's in the keynote,as well as other places... and there won't be ANY deals on it. Cingular has already announced that their premier/business account holders(who usually get phones for less than what the general public pays) will have to pay the full 499/599.

so it's 499/599(with contract) take it or leave it

I think I'll be leaving it. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Hold the phone. I'm checking something out...

"Talking about pricing now. Jobs mentioned Palm's 750 launch. 4 GB/$499, 8 GB/$599. Shipping in June. It is not FCC approved yet, "wanted to introduce it themselves". Europe in 4th Q, Asia in June. It will be launching on Cingular with 2 year contract."

Odd phrasing. I didn't connect the 7th sentence with the 2nd, before.

You're probably right.

PDR447

Oct 2, 2006
Visit site
yeah if you watch the keynote(or see pictures) when they have the pricing up it has "with 2 year agreement" in small font at the bottom.

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
Price isn't what bothers me, it is just that the form factor is something I've already dismissed in the past, regardless of fancy software. But I'll keep my mind, and wallet, open for this one.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I hate it when companies can't keep their info. straight.

Something similar happened with the 750, I think. A sentence on one page said it had a feature, then the Treo comparison chart suggested it did not.

*sigh*

Now that I think about it, the 802.11-n was mentioned in the context of Apple-TV. I stopped watching the Keynote stream when Jobs was mid-way through the iPhone stuff.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.