iPhone or Treo 750?

hannip

Jan 30, 2006
Visit site
Yeah, if you are used to having 3G speeds you are going to be very dissapointed with Edge. Hold onto your treo's and wait for an iPhone that supports 3G.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Even Treo 650 is an adequate music player (pTunes), PDA (Datebk6), e-mail device (Chatter). What it is not adequate for is streaming video (a la Orb or Slingmedia) because of bandwidth limitations.

Only when we get a device with 3G speeds, will we add new capabilities. Otherwise iPhone is just a keyless Treo with similar capabilities (and possibly a better user interface .. we'll see the devil is in the details).

Spending all that $$ for iPhone or any EDGE device is insane.

Dec 28, 2003
Visit site
How fast is Sprint 650 vs Edge?

Even Treo 650 is an adequate music player (pTunes), PDA (Datebk6), e-mail device (Chatter). What it is not adequate for is streaming video (a la Orb or Slingmedia) because of bandwidth limitations.

Only when we get a device with 3G speeds, will we add new capabilities. Otherwise iPhone is just a keyless Treo with similar capabilities (and possibly a better user interface .. we'll see the devil is in the details).

Spending all that $$ for iPhone or any EDGE device is insane.

edoan

Dec 5, 2000
Visit site
Theoretically, it's a little faster than CDMA 1xRTT (144 Kbps) vs. EDGE (236.8 kbit/s) ... but in real use, they're about the same -- somewhere between 56tk modem and 128k ISDN.

ion++

Feb 17, 2005
Visit site
Mr Jobs - "A lot of these phones have low battery life. We've managed to get 5 hours of battery of talk time, video, and browsing. 16 hours of audio playback"

5 hours seemed to be longer than Treo. How did they do that?! Lithium Polymer battery?
They bought some REALLY cheap batteries from Sony ;)

Dec 28, 2003
Visit site
fyi, a lot of us hear don't understand geek speak (i.e. cdma 1xrtt, etc), lol. So CDMA 1xRTT is what Sprint has?

Theoretically, it's a little faster than CDMA 1xRTT (144 Kbps) vs. EDGE (236.8 kbit/s) ... but in real use, they're about the same -- somewhere between 56tk modem and 128k ISDN.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Thanks, sounds like I have 2G with my current Sprint 650. I would not purchase the Apple phone with the same slow internet speeds. It appears what apple is offering via Cingular are speeds faster than what I have, but not as fast as 3G.

I don't claim to understand all of that stuff, either, but I've got the 650 and I really don't think it's anywhere near as fast as EDGE. 650's approach (and barely surpass, in my experience) TRUE dial-up speed.

In other words, the iPhone will have a faster internet connection than a 650. No worries there.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Treo 650 on Cingular has EDGE. You may not see the true speeds up to the theoretical limits because of network and tower congestion.
iPhone has Wi-Fi, which will be faster, but the data speeds through Cingular network will be the same on the Treo 650 and iPhone.

Dec 28, 2003
Visit site
How fast will wifi be? As fast as my laptop is via wifi?

Treo 650 on Cingular has EDGE. You may not see the true speeds up to the theoretical limits because of network and tower congestion.
iPhone has Wi-Fi, which will be faster, but the data speeds through Cingular network will be the same on the Treo 650 and iPhone.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
If the 750 will not do UMTS on Cingular's network, then iPhone. Palm had another opportunity with the Treo 680 to do UMTS/broadband and gave us EDGE.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
If the 750 will not do UMTS on Cingular's network, then iPhone. Palm had another opportunity with the Treo 680 to do UMTS/broadband and gave us EDGE.

Hmmm. I guess I had a brain-lapse and didn't realize/remember that the 680 had EDGE speeds (which I like, btw, since I'm used to the 650).

specimen38, if neither device has the speed you want (including the iPhone), why go with Apple? Does the iPhone win out in other areas, for you? If so, which?

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Should be. The iPhone supports all wi-fi protocols, including the fastest one 802.11-n (draft). So it could be even faster if the hot-spot is using 802.11-n routers.

I dunno about "n." [URL="https://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html#mn_p]The Apple site[/URL] says "b/g."

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Does anyone know if the iPhone allows simultaneous transfer of voice AND data, like the 750 does?

That's kind of a big deal, for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW