I posted this in another thread, but it fits here too:

This phone initially looks great, but it is plagued with the same issues that many windows phones have. It has been mentioned before, but I hate all soft buttons, you can;t dial without looking at the phone. And I would hate typing without any tactile feedback. If I wanted all screen, I would have gotten a 8525, I didn't.

The software is revolutionary, and I really like the look of it, but apart from Voicemail trick, my treo does everything already. Maybe not as slick, but I can do it. Threaded SMS, heard that before.

Is a pretty UI worth $600? Maybe, to some. Maybe to me... I'll have to see. BUt Palm has officially been served. Now it is there turn to respond, and the 680/750 isn't gonna be good enough.
    01-10-2007 02:35 PM
    I think the thing that missing from the discussion, and an invisible hurdle for Apple to leap over is/will be the notion that the iPhone is - primarily - an entertainment device. Palm still has the advantage and acceptance as a business tool FIRST and foremost. When I spent $400 on my first Treo, no one in accounting batted an eye - its a phone and a PDA. While I can only speak for my own organization, I can say that I do not expect "the boys in accounting" to sign off on anyone's iPhone. Regardless of how well it handles contact, email, messaging, etc.

I am NOT saying that this "attitude" is right I am merely suggesting that it is/will be pervasive in the business community which makes up a huge percentage of smartphone sales. For me its the choice between spending company money on something like a Treo (or Moto Q, Dash or Blackjack, or Blackberry) or shelling out $600 of my own money for an iPhone. On that basis alone, my choice is SIMPLE.
    I was watching the webcast and thinking- am I going to use iTunes to manage my contacts? No- Outlooki- that is the de facto biz application that they would need to work with.

But they don't care about biz users- biz users are such a small percentage of customers- they want mom, dad, son and daughter of your typical household.
    01-10-2007 02:45 PM
    I posted this in another thread, but it fits here too:
    Many Treo models cost around $600, as well. The deal comes in when one signs a new contract or something with a carrier.

I don't think we've been told that such offers WILL come, but have we been told that they definitely WON'T?
    01-10-2007 02:55 PM
    Many Treo models cost around $600, as well. The deal comes in when one signs a new contract or something with a carrier.

I don't think we've been told that such offers WILL come, but have we been told that they definitely WON'T?
    umm, it's been stated that the 499 and 599 prices are WITH a 2 year contract. ie after discounts/incentives. Meaning that the out of contract price will be up around 699-799
    01-10-2007 03:15 PM
    umm, it's been stated that the 499 and 599 prices are WITH a 2 year contract. ie after discounts/incentives. Meaning that the out of contract price will be up around 699-799
    I never caught that, anywhere. Did you read it or hear it in the keynote or...?
    01-10-2007 03:24 PM
    I never caught that, anywhere. Did you read it or hear it in the keynote or...?
    it's in the keynote,as well as other places... and there won't be ANY deals on it. Cingular has already announced that their premier/business account holders(who usually get phones for less than what the general public pays) will have to pay the full 499/599.

so it's 499/599(with contract) take it or leave it
    01-10-2007 03:29 PM
    it's in the keynote,as well as other places... and there won't be ANY deals on it. Cingular has already announced that their premier/business account holders(who usually get phones for less than what the general public pays) will have to pay the full 499/599.

so it's 499/599(with contract) take it or leave it
    I think I'll be leaving it. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Hold the phone. I'm checking something out...

"Talking about pricing now. Jobs mentioned Palm's 750 launch. 4 GB/$499, 8 GB/$599. Shipping in June. It is not FCC approved yet, "wanted to introduce it themselves". Europe in 4th Q, Asia in June. It will be launching on Cingular with 2 year contract."

Odd phrasing. I didn't connect the 7th sentence with the 2nd, before.

You're probably right.
    01-10-2007 03:33 PM
    yeah if you watch the keynote(or see pictures) when they have the pricing up it has "with 2 year agreement" in small font at the bottom.
    01-10-2007 03:44 PM
    Price isn't what bothers me, it is just that the form factor is something I've already dismissed in the past, regardless of fancy software. But I'll keep my mind, and wallet, open for this one.
    01-10-2007 03:57 PM
    I hate it when companies can't keep their info. straight.

Something similar happened with the 750, I think. A sentence on one page said it had a feature, then the Treo comparison chart suggested it did not.

*sigh*
    Now that I think about it, the 802.11-n was mentioned in the context of Apple-TV. I stopped watching the Keynote stream when Jobs was mid-way through the iPhone stuff.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.
    01-10-2007 04:03 PM
    Price isn't what bothers me, it is just that the form factor is something I've already dismissed in the past, regardless of fancy software. But I'll keep my mind, and wallet, open for this one.
    Let me know how you dig it, if you decide to go that route.

Maybe I'll change my mind, but as it stands, I don't see paying $599 for this sucker. The only way I'd even consider it is if I couldn't find the Treo I wanted for a smaller enough amount.

Like, if the 700P or 750 is unavailable to me for MUCH lower than $599. If it's like $499, then it's worth at least considering paying an extra $100... if I decide to upgrade, at all.

I may just be a greedy lil miser and hold onto my 650 until it crumbles in my frugal little hands!
    01-10-2007 04:13 PM
    I have the 680 now, and really like it. The iPhone peaks my interest, but the price is crazy.
    01-10-2007 10:26 PM
    I didn't expect anything less from Apple when I saw and read about the iPhone. I don't know about that keyboard -- I have large hands and I can't see myself typing on that screen. Face grease -- I see myself constantly wiping the screen with a hankerchief after a phone call (or else wash my face more often).
    01-10-2007 10:44 PM
    I have the 680 now, and really like it. The iPhone peaks my interest, but the price is crazy.
    what price? they've officially announced a price? if so, please lead me to apple's or cingular's official price announcement.

thanks.
    01-10-2007 11:08 PM
    what price? they've officially announced a price? if so, please lead me to apple's or cingular's official price announcement.

thanks.
    Schedule, not price, is the issue; when, not how much. At some point, there will be as many iPhones as there are now iPods. As with iPods, most people will pay a price that they think is fair.

However, like new game consoles and BlueRay players, those of us who want them early will pay a premium to those who are willing to sleep in the streets.

Remember how recently we paid hundreds of dollars for DVD players or SD cards? In this morning's e-mail, I was offered a 2G SD card for $10- (after rebate). Last week I was offered a 1TB RAID array for $700-. Remember when we paid $30- for DVDs? Have you been to Wal-Mart lately? Remember Blockbuster?

This is tech; price drops dramatically with success.
    01-11-2007 09:22 AM

thanks.
    To answer your question, price was mentioned in the keynote (and apparently elsewhere, according to our board-mates) as noted by TreoCentral's coverage:

"Talking about pricing now. Jobs mentioned Palm's 750 launch. 4 GB/$499, 8 GB/$599. Shipping in June. It is not FCC approved yet, "wanted to introduce it themselves". Europe in 4th Q, Asia in June. It will be launching on Cingular with 2 year contract."
    01-11-2007 09:44 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD