BRACE YOURSELVES- Here it comes...

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Found the actual dimensions.
4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches

So Gizmodo lied. Lost all repsect for that site.

You are apparently right, those specs are great. I think I want it again. I have 6 months to save for it. Probably will have to switch to cingular as it might be very hard to unlock.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Technical Specifications
Screen size 3.5 inches
Screen resolution 320 by 480 at 160 ppi
Input method Multi-touch
Operating system OS X
Storage 4GB or 8GB
GSM Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
Wireless data Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0
Camera 2.0 megapixels
Battery Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing
Up to 16 hours Audio playback

Dimensions 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm

Weight 4.8 ounces / 135 grams
The specs mean nothing. You have to use this phone... or see someone else use it as I did. The way you are able to use this thing is what will sell it.

MarkY

Oct 27, 2004
Visit site
It is a very interesting device and will appeal to many people. The biggest drawbacks to me are the network, no office application support, questionable ability for 3rd party support.

If anything, this gives Palm something to shoot for. Presumably Palm has new devices under development that may incorporate a lot of the features we all want, so it should be an interesting 2007.

As a pure business device, Palm shouldn't be worried about the iPhone, but this has killer written all over it in the consumer space (assuming Cingular works well where you live).

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Well, this has been fun. It's all speculation now until June. Hopefully we'll have a few surprises in store still - like 3G (not giving up hope yet)...

vw2002

Aug 9, 2004
Visit site
It will be amusing to watch palm lose customers to the iphone.

It WILL happen. I have a feeling the soft touch keyboard will be much more efficient and enjoyable than the treo keyboard, which we all know can be frustrating ( typing errors ).

the iphone will not only be able to organize your life just as well, but just may be free of crashes and resets, notorious in palm projects.

the treo diehards will dig in like those who insisted cobalt and palm os still had a future way back when, but I think they will see over time that apple will be the winner.

you can keep the crashes, resets, lack of wifi, meager memory, and all the rest, comrades...

Ill go with the winner, the innovator - apple.

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site
I think HTC can make a phone that match that kind of spec. Basically its a larger Tytn without the keyboard. Of cource touch screen operation is not going to be as smooth as this phone. But this phone is going to bring in a whole new bunch of rabid Apple fanboys who were not traditional PDA phone users.

As for me, I don't believe in carrying big and expensive phone anymore. I still want to move my PDA phone to a samller phone once I get GPS running on the PSP.

Damn you Jobs why can't you merge a phone with the iPod nano? :(

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Technical Specifications
Screen size 3.5 inches
Screen resolution 320 by 480 at 160 ppi
Input method Multi-touch
Operating system OS X
Storage 4GB or 8GB
GSM Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
Wireless data Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0
Camera 2.0 megapixels
Battery Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing
Up to 16 hours Audio playback

Dimensions 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm

Weight 4.8 ounces / 135 grams

Now suddenly I am unimpressed. That resolution is way too low for a full operating system. Its not even VGA. The new HTC Omni is going to own this device specs-wise (but of course wont have the sex appeal). It will however have a better keyboard, HSDPA, a higher res screen (rumoured to be 800x480) and built-in GPS.

For a few minutes I thought of importing this device unlocked, but now reality is setting in. Its not that great after all.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Aspects of this are absolutely stunning. The UI makes anything else I've seen on a phone look like it came in with the ark. OS X on a phone! I haven't really absorbed it all yet but some of the apps look really, really nice, Safari and iTunes especially. This could be a giant leap forward for smartphones.

BUT... no 3G! I really, really hope this changes, at least by the time it gets over here. They couldn't release a device like this in Europe without 3G, could they? No QWERTY I could probably live with - as long as the virtual keyboard works really well, but no 3G would be really tough, probably a deal killer. It has to happen at some point, but please c'mon Apple don't make us wait for the second generation for decent data speeds.

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site
The most impressive thing to me is the google map intergration. The app knows where you are (assuming by using the cell tower number). This is something easily done but only Apple force google to seamlessly intergrate into the software.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Now suddenly I am unimpressed. That resolution is way too low for a full operating system. Its not even VGA. The new HTC Omni is going to own this device specs-wise (but of course wont have the sex appeal). It will however have a better keyboard, HSDPA, a higher res screen (rumoured to be 800x480) and built-in GPS.

For a few minutes I thought of importing this device unlocked, but now reality is setting in. Its not that great after all.

Surur
What are you talking about? OK seriously, you guys are in denial.

It is 160 pixels per inch. There is nothing else anywhere taht gives you that kind of resolution. This is to say nothing of the fact that it relies on CORE technologies from OS X that give the rendered line art and text a smoother look than anyone else can get (you know, kinda like enhanced anti-aliasing ? oh wait, never mind, Palm doesn't use anti-aliasing in their OS).

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Now suddenly I am unimpressed. That resolution is way too low for a full operating system.
I didn't see anything in the pics from the keynote that made me think the UI needed more pixels. Perhaps OS X has more flexibilty than you give it credit for! You do realise this isn't the same as desktop OS X UI?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I didn't see anything in the pics from the keynote that made me think the UI needed more pixels. Perhaps OS X has more flexibilty than you give it credit for! You do realise this isn't the same as desktop OS X UI?

Thats irrelevant when it comes to web browsing, displaying video and pictures, spread sheets and word documents. Real pixels count. This is especially true if it can run real desktop apps.

Surur

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site
What are you talking about? OK seriously, you guys are in denial.

It is 160 pixels per inch. There is nothing else anywhere taht gives you that kind of resolution. This is to say nothing of the fact that it relies on CORE technologies from OS X that give the rendered line art and text a smoother look than anyone else can get (you know, kinda like enhanced anti-aliasing ? oh wait, never mind, Palm doesn't use anti-aliasing in their OS).

What. The 650 has a 320X320 2.5" screen. That comes out to 180 pixel/inch. Not that I don't believe the iPhone screen is better. Pixel density has nothing to do with how good the screen is. See the PSP screen.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Aspects of this are absolutely stunning. The UI makes anything else I've seen on a phone look like it came in with the ark. OS X on a phone! I haven't really absorbed it all yet but some of the apps look really, really nice, Safari and iTunes especially. This could be a giant leap forward for smartphones.

BUT... no 3G! I really, really hope this changes, at least by the time it gets over here. They couldn't release a device like this in Europe without 3G, could they? No QWERTY I could probably live with - as long as the virtual keyboard works really well, but no 3G would be really tough, probably a deal killer. It has to happen at some point, but please c'mon Apple don't make us wait for the second generation for decent data speeds.

I also have serious doubts about this phone's lack of 3G/HSDPA. The EU and especially Asia will not embrace it without that feature. Again, though, it's all speculation until release day...

The captioning did mention something about WiMax...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
techhero_specs20070109.jpg

It sure is lovely though. I might just get it to play with. But if it does not run existing desktop software, or needs a whole new base of third-party software it may not be for me.

Surur

PDR447

Oct 2, 2006
Visit site
I also have serious doubts about this phone's lack of 3G/HSDPA. The EU and especially Asia will not embrace it without that feature. Again, though, it's all speculation until release day...

Speculation??? sorry but it's all over apple's site and in the keynote that it is EDGE only. yeah it sucks for us(and apple) but for some reason they have left out 3g. for me it's not a huge concern cause I'm usually near a wifi network.