Ed Colligan Laughs At Apple Phone

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
You mean no GSM Palm OS 3G. OS can't handle UMTS, so I've read. Palm's OLD OS can't handle several things, it seems. :shake:

One may infer that it cannot. However, one might infer that Cingular and T-Mobile are simply not interested in it.

In any case "Not WM" can now handle UMTS. Ain't it grand?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Most other OS have been proven to handle UMTS, EXCEPT the Palm OS. WM, Symbian, UIQ all have UMTS phones out. Not all for the US however, but still they're available.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Most other OS have been proven to handle UMTS, EXCEPT the Palm OS. WM, Symbian, UIQ all have UMTS phones out. Not all for the US however, but still they're available.
I have no problem with infering that POS cannot do UMTS; I think it is a justified, if not "safe," assumption. I object to having to infer. I object to Palm's silence. If it is a fundamental limitation, they should say so. If there is never ever going to be a POS/UMTS device, they should say so. They should not leave us hanging. While I am not one of them, there may be some who would move to WM if they knew that it was futile to wait.

If they have a plan to remove the limitation I would like them to say that too, but that is not as important.

Trevante

May 14, 2006
Visit site
I have no problem with infering that POS cannot do UMTS; I think it is a justified, if not "safe," assumption. I object to having to infer. I object to Palm's silence. If it is a fundamental limitation, they should say so. If there is never ever going to be a POS/UMTS device, they should say so. They should not leave us hanging. While I am not one of them, there may be some who would move to WM if they knew that it was futile to wait.

If they have a plan to remove the limitation I would like them to say that too, but that is not as important.

They should say so, but it wouldn't look good for Palm to come out and say "Yea, our OS is really old and doesn't support multitasking, which is why it doesn't support UMTS and HSDPA or wifi". Generally, most companies aren't going to come out and say something that would potentially turn customers away or make them look bad, especially if they have some other less shameful excuse they can give you.

I don't remember who exactly it was, but in one of the pre-700p vids, a higher up Palm person was interviewed about the 700p. He said the 700p didn't need wifi because it had Ev-DO and wifi would eat the battery too quickly. He didn't (and probably wouldn't ever) tell you that PalmOS can't handle wifi on a Treo.

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
My 650 works fine.
My daughter's 700p works fine.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showpost.php?p=1128063&postcount=3

What features will the iPhone have. . . . . . that is not in the market?

Just the Apple name is enough?

Perry - The simple anwser: The iPhone will have a company that supports its product. Which is good enough for me!

I personally don't think it's a question of "new" features. I think it's essentially built off of existing features but enhanced the "Apple" way. This is how I see Technology growing. There hasn't been anything really earth shattering lately, but there have been some great improvements on existing features.

Not sure what you're looking for here. If the iPhone isn't for you, thats cool....Apple's shown (with the iPod) that they know what works. I'm sure they know there's a huge demand for this type of device.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
die hards (or is it blow-hards) will always remain. and remember, there aren't as many as you think. this whole power user thing is freakin' nonsense.

i agree with you Lady Diva

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
How many people are willing to change carriers or pay a termination fee just to get a new phone, cool as it may be?
I think a lot of people would switch, especially now that you can take your phone number with you.

Remember, there are probably a lot of people who want an iPhone and now won't take on a new contract over the next 6 months anticipating their June Cingular purchase.

Then, there are those that just have to have it and will terminate.

mrjoec

Dec 1, 2000
www.joecieplinski.com
How many people are willing to change carriers or pay a termination fee just to get a new phone, cool as it may be?

I don't have to, because I'm already with Cingular. But if Apple had gone with Verizon or Sprint, I probably would have been willing to switch, after thinking about it for maybe ten minutes or so.

I wouldn't blame others who didn't want to, however. I never thought about switching to get a "better" Treo, when the 700p came out. 3G speed just wasn't enough of a motivator. The iPhone's UI would be worth the hassle and cost, for me at least.

With 58 million current Cingular customers, Apple doesn't have to worry too much about convincing people to switch carriers. At least not at first.

mrjoec

Dec 1, 2000
www.joecieplinski.com
Thanks for the comments, Marc. We (well, it's probably just me) don't get all of the variables at work in this game. You're right--it is to simplistic to think that a hardware manufacturer can make a decision without considering the (ahem) input from the carriers.

This is true for Palm, but according to many reports, some from Steve and Cingular's CEO themselves, the iPhone was developed entirely by Apple according to exactly what Apple wanted. Cingular agreed to work with Apple without knowing any of the details of iPhone. No one at Cingular even saw iPhone until a few weeks ago. They worked together to make visual voicemail happen, but that was Apple's desire, and Cingular agreed to it.

Palm just doesn't have the clout in the industry to pull that off. Doesn't mean that other companies don't.

mrjoec

Dec 1, 2000
www.joecieplinski.com
By the way, I went to the Expo today and got a glimpse for myself. Even under glass, iPhone, like most Apple products, looks even better in person than it does in pictures. It's smaller than I thought. Very slightly taller and wider than the Treo, but a LOT thinner. Should fit well into a pocket.

I no longer believe Palm's excuse that the touch screen necessitates a fat device.

I think the retail presence of Apple's and Cingular's physical stores is going to help sell this thing. It just begs to be touched and fiddled with.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
By the way, I went to the Expo today and got a glimpse for myself. Even under glass, iPhone, like most Apple products, looks even better in person than it does in pictures. It's smaller than I thought. Very slightly taller and wider than the Treo, but a LOT thinner. Should fit well into a pocket.

I no longer believe Palm's excuse that the touch screen necessitates a fat device.

I think the retail presence of Apple's and Cingular's physical stores is going to help sell this thing. It just begs to be touched and fiddled with.
Thanks for the 1st hand accounting. I can't wait for a hands-on opportunity either. :D

Keefer Lucas

Feb 8, 2001
Visit site
I usually do too, but it looks like this time it won't be an option. The $599 is with a 2-year contract. No mention of whether or not iPhone will even be available without a contract. I assume not.

I, personally, can't wait for the postings to start from users who want to know if they can buy the phone without the dataplan ;)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I, personally, can't wait for the postings to start from users who want to know if they can buy the phone without the dataplan ;)

Come on, guys. This is all about price. Apple understands price. In the short run, there are not going to be enough of these at any price. People will be sleeping in the streets.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
They should say so, but it wouldn't look good for Palm to come out and say "Yea, our OS is really old and doesn't support multitasking, which is why it doesn't support UMTS and HSDPA or wifi". Generally, most companies aren't going to come out and say something that would potentially turn customers away or make them look bad, especially if they have some other less shameful excuse they can give you.

I don't remember who exactly it was, but in one of the pre-700p vids, a higher up Palm person was interviewed about the 700p. He said the 700p didn't need wifi because it had Ev-DO and wifi would eat the battery too quickly. He didn't (and probably wouldn't ever) tell you that PalmOS can't handle wifi on a Treo.

You may be right. A little candor might destroy Palm. They clearly think so.

sschlesinger

Nov 7, 2006
Visit site
Perry - The simple anwser: The iPhone will have a company that supports its product. Which is good enough for me!

I personally don't think it's a question of "new" features. I think it's essentially built off of existing features but enhanced the "Apple" way. This is how I see Technology growing. There hasn't been anything really earth shattering lately, but there have been some great improvements on existing features.
Not sure what you're looking for here. If the iPhone isn't for you, thats cool....Apple's shown (with the iPod) that they know what works. I'm sure they know there's a huge demand for this type of device.

I think the main feature of this phone is not to have to carry around an ipod and separate phone at the same time. While you may not think of this as a main feature it is considered more of a functional feature, Apple knows what todays society wants, lets face it itunes just sold it's 2 billionth song now thats a lot of music. https://www.apple.com/newsroom/error.html#mn_p
Before I had a treo I had an ipod and separate phone and it sucked to have to charge two devices at once or buy two different types of accessories. Call me lazy and cheap (which I am). I like society want cheap, easy and convenience.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR