Ed Colligan Laughs At Apple Phone

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
The point was NEW features. Everything you list is alrady being done, unless however you meant for those using Apple OS only.)
I specifically said:
"So say Apple releases a phone; it could have the ability to automatically have access to this data in a live manner. No syncing required. It is always just there and is always current"

If you read that, you might note that I specifically stated Apple would NOT use syncing functions as we know them today. Apple methodology will undoubtedly accomplish task with ease - in a manner that is NOT BEING DONE today.

Apple's phone type device would/could be a device that is truly mobile by being designed to tie in to Internet resources instead of only syncing to a Desktop PC/Mac that you don't get to very often. Don't see this in a Treo.

I go on to describe the capabilities a little further as applied to e-mail, contacts, calendars, events, and the to-do lists. Don't see this in a Treo.

The media management system in all of Apple's iPods allows for speech-to-text voice recognition selection of songs. I believe this was first used in conjunction with Acura?s VoiceID system to operate the iPod by voice, but has since been used in a few other systems and you can even purchase software that converts going the other way as well, like iPod specific dictionaries and the Nike + iPod which all utilize Text-to-Speech capabilities. It seems quite plausible that this could certainly be utilized as an input method on a phone type of device coming from Apple. Don't see this in a Treo.

I also describe the new ways you could incorporate and use iTunes music this Apple phone of sorts. This would of course promote the further purchasing of content through the iTunes Store in addition to providing differentiation. Don't see this in a Treo.

Apple would also probably integrate seamless roaming and handover between local area networks and the wide area networks like phone services. This capability may be included as an additional feature to give users flexibility but also to ensure that larger market segments would be enticed based on limited provider coverage. Don't see this in a Treo.

I talk about it being able to interface with an iPod. Don't see this in a Treo.

I also mention this Apple device could see widget like capabilities. I base that assumption on their partnership with Nokia to supply their series 60 phones with Apple's WebCore and JavaScriptCore software to power their phone's web browsers. Don't see this in a Treo.

And then I mentioned Apple possibly incorporating a motion detection system to use as an interface element. The kind of motion detection you find in products like iPods to protect the hard drives, or MacBooks to act as a safety device and input method, or the Nike + iPod kit to measure cadence, running speed, workout stuff. This same type of sensor could be used in an Apple phone to quickly shut off the phone's ringer by simple grasping/squeezing it. Don't see this in a Treo.

Admittedly, these were just a few possible directions I arrived at in simply taking a step back to look at their current business direction and their capabilities; BUT, what more do you want.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I know Apple always makes pretty devices and they work too. But a iPhone? I didn't want one when they made it with Motorola and I am jsut not seeing the the Y factor in the iphone.
Contacts
phone
music
movies
calander......
Just buy a Nokia
I don't know. Maybe I just need to see it.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
what version is currently in the iPods? :)
Being written on a Treo forum, I am assuming you bring this up because you would want bluetooth headphones on your iPod?

My answer to that is two-fold: 1.) utilizing cordless earphones would take away from the iPods identity and its popularity/recognizability, 2.) this identity is what gives the iPod its social factor (community-belonging) aspect; something Microsoft is desperately trying to grasp for with its half-g$$ attempt at utilizing wi-fi with the tagline of "welcome to the social".

Still, there are Bluetooth listening options available from third parties should one so choose to partake.

However; now that the iPod is as mature as it is, incorporating Bluetooth would seem to be in the future BUT, not so sure they will provide bluetooth headsets out of the box (this I personally doubt, but it could happen).

One other comment I would like to add in accordance to your tongue-in-cheek comment. The iPod is not a Treo and the Treo ain't no iPod so I cannot grasp why having bluetooth in a Treo(however functionally irrelevant it may be) would necessitate its use in an iPod.

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site
According to rumer Apple already contracted Foxxcon the iPod maker to make the iPhone. People should know that Ed should have a pretty good idea what the iPhone is like from his industry spy. The fact that he has the confidence to trash talk Apple to me basically backhanded cimfirm the iPhone is not a smartphone.

This is the same reason why Steve "predicted" in an interview that MS will make a music player themselves before the Zune was announced. Steve Jobs knew about it already.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
However, Ed has to know that a new popular cell phone with some smartphone features could possibly sell more than even the 680. The phone that Surur posted is one example. It looks like a W850. The features include 3G, bluetooth 2.0, email, SMS, MMS, RSS feeds and web browser. Pretty cool for a fun phone!

P.S. I just received the W850's little cousin, I'm going to test the phone to see how good SE's smartphone features are on a fun phone.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
There's a picture!

Doesn't look like a PDA....

Go to link for article: http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/11726/

061122_iphone.gif

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Looks like they're saying the pics are a lot of speculation though. However, I would still be interested in testing it if they release the phone. Would be nice if they put 3G on it along with the supposed wifi!

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Archie- You seem to be describing a sync similar to Exchange Server SP2 AUTD technology from Microsoft. I wouldn't be surprised to see it from apple, there is no question that the smartphone market continues to rise.

Now, I am not an apple fan, but I am well aware that those who use Mac's are very loyal. Apple knows this also, and if it can start carving a niche in this market, they will profit off of it in the long run. I see the "Iphone" as an ipod with a phone, not a PDA w/an ipod. If they do make a smartphone, it won't be the iphone.

If apple were to figure out how to make the "best " smartphone out there today, learning from Palm and Microsoft's mistakes, then kudos to them. If it will sync with Windows, I will buy it. I don't owe MS anything, no need to argue and give half-a$$ed comments about a device that doesn't exist yet!

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I so wish Sony haven't moved to the stupid M2 memory card. Hopefully the iPhone will have some memory build in.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Apple will never use card based memory like CompactFlash cards, SD cards or miniSD cards. They will be using built-in flash memory in all of their iPods and phone products.

BTW I was in Hong Kong yesterday. Nobody uses the big iPod, I mean NOBODY. You may be able to find the new iPod nano but the market is over ran by Sony and Nokia music phones. I almost brought an egg-shaped tiny mp3 player for my friend.
Exactly. Hong Kong is one reason why Apple will be entering the phone market. It should be looked upon as expanding their market share in the music player realm - just as they did with the iPod mini a few years back and then later on with the iPod Shuffle. Now they will be introducing a new iPod product to cater to yet another fraction of the music market.

I only bring this up here because the information seems to have flooded the net this week; but as you all know by now, a few of Apple's phone details have escaped. Hardware-wise, Kevin Rose of diggnation revealed that Apple will allay everyone's fears that a music player/phone combo could be disasterous (despite what every Hong Kong user thinks) because of the music features draining battery life and then being stuck without use of a phone. Apple had the foresight to actually supply two seperate batteries to power the phone features and the music features. Seems to be such a simple solution - yet no one has thought of it... until now.

And we also now know that Apple will be able to cater to the multiple phone markets because it will be able to work on most any network (like GPRS, GSM, Sprint PCS, Wi-Fi or even WiMax) utilizing Intel's software-defined radio for adaptability... and to also cut costs.

It seems that Apple will be releasing 2 models:
one model will be priced at $249 with 4GB of flash memory
another model at $449 will have an additional 4GB of memory and additional features

BUT... as you all know, this is all just speculation at this point and I am in no position to pronounce what the future holds for Apple or what Apple holds for the future.

Thelonius

Oct 18, 2004
Visit site
I think by looking for an apple feature list to determine it if will be successful, or a threat to existing smart phones most of you have already missed the mark. Certainly it is this lack of foresight that will bite ED in the butt, yet again.

Let's look at the iPod for some perspective.

Is the iPod the least expensive player in the market? No, every model is more expensive than many competitors for each given model.

Is the iPod the most feature filled player? No. No bluetooth, no radio, no recording, etc, etc.

Is the iPod the most reliable. No. They have certainly been plagued with battery issues and let's not forget the issues with the early nano's gettign scratched.

In short, Apple could pretty much release a complete dog of a phone with a pretty case, and people will buy it in significant enough numbers that Palm, and every other handset manufacturer will feel a definate impact from it.

I can't imagine whi it would even be a debate. People are stupid. If it has an apple logo on it, the first gen will be snapped up enthusiastically. The real question is will Apple come out with a good enough product to compel people to buy a second one and brag about it to their friends.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I think by looking for an apple feature list to determine it if will be successful, or a threat to existing smart phones most of you have already missed the mark. Certainly it is this lack of foresight that will bite ED in the butt, yet again.

Is the iPod the least expensive player in the market? No, every model is more expensive than many competitors for each given model.

Is the iPod the most feature filled player? No. No bluetooth, no radio, no recording, etc, etc.

Is the iPod the most reliable. No. They have certainly been plagued with battery issues and let's not forget the issues with the early nano's gettign scratched.

In short, Apple could pretty much release a complete dog of a phone with a pretty case, and people will buy it in significant enough numbers that Palm, and every other handset manufacturer will feel a definate impact from it.

I can't imagine whi it would even be a debate. People are stupid. If it has an apple logo on it, the first gen will be snapped up enthusiastically. The real question is will Apple come out with a good enough product to compel people to buy a second one and brag about it to their friends.

You seemed to have glossed over the 2 important factors (I know, you are disappointed that pretty cases do not make a successful Apple product) that contribute to an Apple success: timing of delivery and attention to detail.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
We'll Just Have To See

I'll have to disagree with you playa... Apple makes great products. But the product is not just a device you hold in your hand. For every negative, there's 2 positive that drives their products. The invention of a delivery system beginning at the iPod click-wheel, on thru the iTunes client Software, on to the iTunes internet Music Store was brilliant. Add in the invention of podcasting and most importantly the savvy to convince the music industry that they were going to lose their industry to illegal downloading and you have the makings of a great product. In the end, Bluetooth, scratches, wifi and batteries become meaningless when people like my "grandmother" can figure this stuff out.

Five+ years ago, the music industry was bleeding red and on its way to hell. I was fat downloading on Napster. Apple helped save the music industry by making the legal downloading experience "cool."

Now....regarding the iPhone..... These guys are going to make a compelling product. No doubt! Steve Jobs has been carrying this thing around since last Spring showing it and rallying his friends. But like the Macintosh, it's not for everybody. Neither is Cingular's 8525 or Blackberry Pearl for everybody. At least certainly not for me. But I plan to give the Apple iPhone a look.

What would be most unfortunate is if Apple manages in "one try" to deliver a PDA/iPhone that is superior to Palm's nearly 20 years of mastery and expertise in this area. That would be Ed Colligan's signal to then start crying.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Let's revisit.

I specifically said:
it could have the ability to automatically have access to this data in a live manner. No syncing required. It is always just there and is always current

If you read that, you might note that I specifically stated Apple would NOT use syncing functions as we know them today. Apple methodology will undoubtedly accomplish task with ease - in a manner that is NOT BEING DONE today.

Hey what do you know, Apple worked with Cingular to provide services unique to Apple's phone. Things like triangulation for location based services and visual voice mail technology, syncing and sending stuff like e-mail — WHILE talking on the phone, etc., etc.

Apple's phone type device would/could be a device that is truly mobile by being designed to tie in to Internet resources instead of only syncing to a Desktop PC/Mac that you don't get to very often. Don't see this in a Treo.

Hey what do you know, like wi-fi and Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

I go on to describe the capabilities a little further as applied to e-mail, contacts, calendars, events, and the to-do lists. Don't see this in a Treo.

Hey what do you know.

Like a unique Push IMAP service and collaboration with Yahoo to be the only mobile device to freely access Yahoo's IMAP services. We will see the incorporation of Apple's own .Mac services soon enough. Unique contact access and interface elements. You should really check it out.

The media management system in all of Apple's iPods allows for speech-to-text voice recognition selection of songs. I believe this was first used in conjunction with Acura’s VoiceID system to operate the iPod by voice, but has since been used in a few other systems and you can even purchase software that converts going the other way as well, like iPod specific dictionaries and the Nike + iPod which all utilize Text-to-Speech capabilities. It seems quite plausible that this could certainly be utilized as an input method on a phone type of device coming from Apple. Don't see this in a Treo.

I also describe the new ways you could incorporate and use iTunes music this Apple phone of sorts. This would of course promote the further purchasing of content through the iTunes Store in addition to providing differentiation. Don't see this in a Treo.

Hey what do you know—uniquely incorporating the use of iTunes to bring a distinct advantage.

Apple would also probably integrate seamless roaming and hand-over between local area networks and the wide area networks like phone services. This capability may be included as an additional feature to give users flexibility but also to ensure that larger market segments would be enticed based on limited provider coverage. Don't see this in a Treo.

I talk about it being able to interface with an iPod. Don't see this in a Treo.

What do you know. Syncs up just like an Ipod and can of course use your iPod's same playlists, etc.

I also mention this Apple device could see widget like capabilities. I base that assumption on their partnership with Nokia to supply their series 60 phones with Apple's WebCore and JavaScriptCore software to power their phone's web browsers. Don't see this in a Treo.

What do you know. Their phone apps are simply Widgets.

And then I mentioned Apple possibly incorporating a motion detection system to use as an interface element. The kind of motion detection you find in products like iPods to protect the hard drives, or MacBooks to act as a safety device and input method, or the Nike + iPod kit to measure cadence, running speed, workout stuff. This same type of sensor could be used in an Apple phone to quickly shut off the phone's ringer by simple grasping/squeezing it. Don't see this in a Treo.

What do you know. Just like I said. Accelerometer can detect the phone's motion and orientation and act appropriately. Also has a proximity sensor and an ambient light sensor to sense when it is applied to your ear to shut down screen and adjusting brightness.

Admittedly, these were just a few possible directions I arrived at in simply taking a step back to look at their current business direction and their capabilities; BUT, what more do you want.

Not too bad. Pretty much nailed it, huh? YUP! Yet.. sadly know one here believed me.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I would sure like to see a video of Ed's comments. To me it appears that the "laughing off" comment is a comment by the writer -- not supported by the quote provided. Call me a fanboy -- but before we hang Ed out to dry -- I would like to see the full context of the questions posed and his responses:

Cheers, Perry.
Face it Perry. If he said any part of what she attributes to him, -6% on his stock makes him look foolish. If the phone market reacts like the stock market, he will not be laughing for long.

That said, June is a long way off and I am still on my 650. Any offers for my 680?

Mtreosexual

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
Face it Perry. If he said any part of what she attributes to him, -6% on his stock makes him look foolish. If the phone market reacts like the stock market, he will not be laughing for long.

That said, June is a long way off and I am still on my 650. Any offers for my 680?

Wh

Finally , someone to kick and seriously challenge Treo's and kick palm 's ...
This phone will sell like hot cakes.............
I am so pleased . No more half *** phones...

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Let's revisit.

Hey what do you know, Apple worked with Cingular to provide services unique to Apple's phone. Things like triangulation for location based services and visual voice mail technology, syncing and sending stuff like e-mail ? WHILE talking on the phone, etc., etc.

Hey what do you know, like wi-fi and Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Hey what do you know.

Like a unique Push IMAP service and collaboration with Yahoo to be the only mobile device to freely access Yahoo's IMAP services. We will see the incorporation of Apple's own .Mac services soon enough. Unique contact access and interface elements. You should really check it out.

Hey what do you know?uniquely incorporating the use of iTunes to bring a distinct advantage.

What do you know. Syncs up just like an Ipod and can of course use your iPod's same playlists, etc.

What do you know. Their phone apps are simply Widgets.

What do you know. Just like I said. Accelerometer can detect the phone's motion and orientation and act appropriately. Also has a proximity sensor and an ambient light sensor to sense when it is applied to your ear to shut down screen and adjusting brightness.

Not too bad. Pretty much nailed it, huh? YUP! Yet.. sadly know one here believed me.

I believed you, but come on- WIFI, BT2.0 w/EDR is really a GREAT thing? My Hermes has that AND 3G. Big disappointment IMO. And EDGE cannot do voice/data simultaneously, which is going to limit this kick-*** device before it is even powered on. I must say though I love every single thing about this device

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2