How about something like this.

And yes, it does have A2DP and UMTS.

Surur
    11-20-2006 07:18 PM
    An iphone will probably rank up there with the phone Surur posted; I think sonyericsson has the best design/plan for musicphones. They've really nailed it as best as can be done given the drm/carrier restrictions that abound right now.
    Having said that, i think that an iphone is probably going to be along these lines, probably with a very apple-fied UI. I think over time Apple might try something more smartphoney, but it's not the first thing they'll do. And in that regard, they'll probably make a shiney, ipod-ish phone, and SE and Apple will split the musicphone market.
    11-20-2006 08:32 PM
    I don't think the iPhone will be a smartphone. I know alot of people will be disappointed but let's see what happen.
    11-20-2006 08:45 PM
    iPhone = iPod/Phone ??? (Those are being sold.)

iPhone = PDA/Phone ??? (Thinner and white???)

What is Apple going to bring to the party? What feature set do you see as new and intriguing? (Not to bring up the past -- but they did not stick with the Newton long enough -- is this redemption time?)

Cheers, Perry.
    Apple stuff has incredible style. I am very sorry Jobs killed the Newton; otherwise 90% of us with treos would have much more advanced newton phones instead today...
    11-20-2006 09:19 PM
    I don't think the iPhone will be a smartphone. I know alot of people will be disappointed but let's see what happen.
    It probably won't be. And it'll be Jobs' fault. Since he killed off the Newton, he will not do something in that vein...
    11-20-2006 09:20 PM

And yes, it does have A2DP and UMTS.

Surur
    I so wish Sony haven't moved to the stupid M2 memory card. Hopefully the iPhone will have some memory build in.

BTW I was in Hong Kong yesterday. Nobody uses the big iPod, I mean NOBODY. You may be able to find the new iPod nano but the market is over ran by Sony and Nokia music phones. I almost brought an egg-shaped tiny mp3 player for my friend.
    11-20-2006 09:41 PM
    Ditto that.

They're more likely to go after the consumer masses with a music phone to leverage their iTunes/iPod dominance.

Making a smartphone would mean either using someone else's OS (doubtful for Apple) or building their own, which requires creating an ecosystem of applications and developers. I don't think the market is big enough to support another platform...
    11-20-2006 10:14 PM
    No offense to any serious Palm fans here, but Ed Colligan should STFU with his often last year's technology phones!!
    What she said....

And I agree with archie...

The ipod already has some pda functions....

If they were to release a SOLID phone, it would sell. Treos have issues and now a history... some people would not buy one even if they were free.

Then again, you still have verizon high data plans and other issues to deal with that makes many users shun pda/phone combo.
    11-21-2006 01:06 AM
    The ipod already has some pda functions....
    Looking at your calendar, contacts, and notes in read-only? Pretty impressive
    11-21-2006 01:25 AM
    new features? a built in breathalyzer tester, which plays the tune "margaritaville" if ya fail the test....

a built-in nicotrol inhaler (located within the antenna, you see) which helps you quit smoking.

.. The phone automatically calls AA to report your relapses.

new features... there you go.
    11-21-2006 02:17 AM
    oh and it'll have an blood-insulin checker too.
    11-21-2006 02:19 AM
    Archie, it seems most of what you posted seemed to describe wireless synch? It's hard to see how apple is going to usurp that. I mean, apart from the 1-2% of desktop users in the "real world" who use a mac, how are they gonna get everyone to suddenly ditch MS Outlook and switch over to a 3rd party iCal compatible program?

Sure, it will have iTunes music access, and it had better include unlimited songs (not the stupid 100 limit currently on the motorolas), plus the ability to swap in/out SD cards. Either that, or at least 8GB of on-board flash memory. It will also need built in wifi, a screen at least the size of the zune or regular PDAs (not square like the treo). It will need some sort of replication of the iPod click wheel (to retain continuity for iPod users). It will also need a qwerty keyboard to optimize PDA functions, and a touch screen. Right now, I just don't see how apple is gonna pull all this off, in one device, without it being a brick.
    11-21-2006 09:10 AM
    My bet is that it will be a multimeida unlocked GSM phone. Syncs with iTunes etc. I will be surprised if they have agreements with all the different carriers worldwide. This way they can control the hardware like they do with everything else.
    11-21-2006 10:43 AM
    Well maybe he didn't laugh, but he certainly dismissed the idea that a PC maker could get the form factor correct.
    11-21-2006 11:56 AM

Wouldn't be surprised, but prettier (no Mr Magoo eyes from Apple!), oodles more built-in memory (4 or 8 GB rather than the 16 MB on the 850i), iTunes and iTMS integration.

I'll believe Apple are making a smartphone when I see it.
    11-21-2006 12:08 PM
    The point was NEW features. Everything you list is alrady being done, unless however you meant for those using Apple OS only.)
    I specifically said:
    "So say Apple releases a phone; it could have the ability to automatically have access to this data in a live manner. No syncing required. It is always just there and is always current"

If you read that, you might note that I specifically stated Apple would NOT use syncing functions as we know them today. Apple methodology will undoubtedly accomplish task with ease - in a manner that is NOT BEING DONE today.

Apple's phone type device would/could be a device that is truly mobile by being designed to tie in to Internet resources instead of only syncing to a Desktop PC/Mac that you don't get to very often. Don't see this in a Treo.

I go on to describe the capabilities a little further as applied to e-mail, contacts, calendars, events, and the to-do lists. Don't see this in a Treo.

The media management system in all of Apple's iPods allows for speech-to-text voice recognition selection of songs. I believe this was first used in conjunction with Acuras VoiceID system to operate the iPod by voice, but has since been used in a few other systems and you can even purchase software that converts going the other way as well, like iPod specific dictionaries and the Nike + iPod which all utilize Text-to-Speech capabilities. It seems quite plausible that this could certainly be utilized as an input method on a phone type of device coming from Apple. Don't see this in a Treo.

I also describe the new ways you could incorporate and use iTunes music this Apple phone of sorts. This would of course promote the further purchasing of content through the iTunes Store in addition to providing differentiation. Don't see this in a Treo.

Apple would also probably integrate seamless roaming and handover between local area networks and the wide area networks like phone services. This capability may be included as an additional feature to give users flexibility but also to ensure that larger market segments would be enticed based on limited provider coverage. Don't see this in a Treo.

I talk about it being able to interface with an iPod. Don't see this in a Treo.

I also mention this Apple device could see widget like capabilities. I base that assumption on their partnership with Nokia to supply their series 60 phones with Apple's WebCore and JavaScriptCore software to power their phone's web browsers. Don't see this in a Treo.

And then I mentioned Apple possibly incorporating a motion detection system to use as an interface element. The kind of motion detection you find in products like iPods to protect the hard drives, or MacBooks to act as a safety device and input method, or the Nike + iPod kit to measure cadence, running speed, workout stuff. This same type of sensor could be used in an Apple phone to quickly shut off the phone's ringer by simple grasping/squeezing it. Don't see this in a Treo.

Admittedly, these were just a few possible directions I arrived at in simply taking a step back to look at their current business direction and their capabilities; BUT, what more do you want.
    11-21-2006 02:53 PM
    I know Apple always makes pretty devices and they work too. But a iPhone? I didn't want one when they made it with Motorola and I am jsut not seeing the the Y factor in the iphone.
    Contacts
    phone
    music
    movies
    calander......
    Just buy a Nokia
    I don't know. Maybe I just need to see it.
    11-21-2006 08:10 PM
    I am a very solid T650 user, however, Colligan should know I will take a look at the iPhone if it's a PDA/phone.
    11-21-2006 10:45 PM
    Oh, and I gurantee that it would use a current version of Bluetooth - not the 2001 release of Bluetooth 1.2 like the Treo 680.
    what version is currently in the iPods?
    11-21-2006 11:38 PM
    what version is currently in the iPods?
    Being written on a Treo forum, I am assuming you bring this up because you would want bluetooth headphones on your iPod?

My answer to that is two-fold: 1.) utilizing cordless earphones would take away from the iPods identity and its popularity/recognizability, 2.) this identity is what gives the iPod its social factor (community-belonging) aspect; something Microsoft is desperately trying to grasp for with its half-g$$ attempt at utilizing wi-fi with the tagline of "welcome to the social".

Still, there are Bluetooth listening options available from third parties should one so choose to partake.

However; now that the iPod is as mature as it is, incorporating Bluetooth would seem to be in the future BUT, not so sure they will provide bluetooth headsets out of the box (this I personally doubt, but it could happen).

One other comment I would like to add in accordance to your tongue-in-cheek comment. The iPod is not a Treo and the Treo ain't no iPod so I cannot grasp why having bluetooth in a Treo(however functionally irrelevant it may be) would necessitate its use in an iPod.
    11-22-2006 12:03 AM
    The latest is that Apple is releasing both a music phone and a smartphone.

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...one-two-models
    11-24-2006 12:28 AM
    According to rumer Apple already contracted Foxxcon the iPod maker to make the iPhone. People should know that Ed should have a pretty good idea what the iPhone is like from his industry spy. The fact that he has the confidence to trash talk Apple to me basically backhanded cimfirm the iPhone is not a smartphone.

This is the same reason why Steve "predicted" in an interview that MS will make a music player themselves before the Zune was announced. Steve Jobs knew about it already.
    11-24-2006 06:56 AM
    However, Ed has to know that a new popular cell phone with some smartphone features could possibly sell more than even the 680. The phone that Surur posted is one example. It looks like a W850. The features include 3G, bluetooth 2.0, email, SMS, MMS, RSS feeds and web browser. Pretty cool for a fun phone!

P.S. I just received the W850's little cousin, I'm going to test the phone to see how good SE's smartphone features are on a fun phone.
    11-24-2006 02:08 PM
    11-24-2006 05:05 PM
    Doesn't look like a PDA....

Go to link for article: http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/11726/

11-24-2006 05:15 PM
137 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD