I am thinking of getting an old iPhone. I do not want a cell phone or the monthly bill. I want to use the camera, iTunes player, WiFi net access and I would really like to use the GPS and map software. With a normal iPhone the maps come over the cell phone internet access. Is there a way to load the maps into the iPhone and have it work without cell service?

Thanks,
    HH
    06-17-2012 09:18 PM
    Maps will work as long as your on wifi and your location will only work when on wifi

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    06-17-2012 11:49 PM
    With Navagon the maps are downloaded to the device. Trouble is turn by turn definitely won't work and i have never tried it out without a sim card to know how it will work. If your thinking of buying it I could try it to see.
    06-18-2012 12:37 AM
    I am thinking of getting an old iPhone. I do not want a cell phone or the monthly bill. I want to use the camera, iTunes player, WiFi net access and I would really like to use the GPS and map software. With a normal iPhone the maps come over the cell phone internet access. Is there a way to load the maps into the iPhone and have it work without cell service?
    You would be better off with a recent generation iPod Touch. Then add a bluetooth GPS puck or BadElf device that plugs into the iPod's charging port... that, along with one of the several nav apps that save a full maps et on the device will give you a fully functional navigation solution, and cover the rest of your desired objectives.
    06-18-2012 01:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD