My wife has mentioned to me that her iPhone's battery has not been lasting as long as it used to. I'm thinking that like any other electronic device where the battery starts to go bad after sometime, her iPhone might just need a new battery to fix the problem.

She charges it overnight and when she leaves for work in the morning she leaves with a fully charged battery. By the time she gets home from work, she needs to recharge it. She doesnt really used it much at work either she says.

I'm thinking of ordering a new battery for her from this site:

iPhone 3GS Replacement Battery - iFixit

Would you guys agree that replacing the battery would fix this problem?

Thanks for any replies.
    05-14-2012 11:15 PM
    It depends I would see if any thing is causing the battery drain and what her actual usage is vs standby time .. Also a 3GS you might consider kicking down and upgrade to a iPhone 4 or 4s vs cost of battery and the time to install it. You could also sell the 3GS and break even on the cost of the 4. But 3GS battery are pretty cheap so you can't go wrong really .. Just my 2 cents .. Good luck

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    05-14-2012 11:42 PM
    Thanks for your input. She's going to be eligible for the 4s upgrade by the end of this year I think. In the mean time I figured I try to get this problem fixed for her. Like you said, the battery doesn't cost much, and I would be replacing it myself. Not paying anybody or place to do it. Looks pretty straight forward to replace the battery. Thanks again.
    05-14-2012 11:49 PM
    If you look in the "How-To" section of the forums, I am sure Ally has done a video of how to change the battery in the 3GS. She has some great videos!
    05-15-2012 08:08 AM
    yeah, i would definitely look into taking the $ you would use for the battery and apply it to a newer device

the Pros outweigh the Cons, imho
    05-15-2012 09:53 AM
    For the price of $20 for the new battery from ifixit.com, I think it's worth it. When she's eligible for the 4S upgrade later on this year, she'll get that. Too pricey to buy now since she's not eligible for the upgrade yet. ATT wants something like $400+ for the 4S. When she gets it with the upgrade, it'll be something like $100 or so.
    05-15-2012 11:10 PM
    UPDATE: bought new battery from ifixit.com. Replaced old battery with new one and after being plugged in for more than 10 hours it looks like the battery is not charging, I see the battery icon on the screen with the lighting bolt on it as if it were charging, but the battery level has been the same since plugging it in.

I took great care to making sure that everything was plugged in and was very careful with all the connections, making sure I put everything back.

Did I receive a faulty replacement battery?
    06-01-2012 08:18 AM
    Also, it makes no difference being plugged in to computer or wall outlet. The battery level has not increased.
    06-01-2012 08:22 AM
    I went ahead and replaced the new battery with the old to confirm whether the new battery I purchased was bad, and sure enough, with the old battery the iPhone turned right on. So I received a defective battery. Going to contact ifixit and get another battery. Hopefully this time they'll send me one that actually works.
    06-01-2012 09:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD