AT&T Unlock?

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Today, 4/8/12, I called AT&T to unlock my contract free 3GS. Took 30 minutes on T's end to get the unlock code, and only 5 minutes to perform a backup and restore via iTunes. Interestingly enough, the phone number shows as NA in the iTunes screen. Same IMEI and ICCID if you click on the same spot.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ksws4e

keith06t

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
Just requested my unlock

I just talked to AT&T customer service through their support chat website. I told them I wanted to unlock my old iPhone 4 that used to be associated with my account before I upgraded to the 4s. They requested my IMEI and then told me that an unlock code and instructions for how to unlock would be emailed to me within 24-48 hours. That was it - pretty simple.

Before they let me go they said they are required to ask why I wanted to upgrade. I said so I could use my phone on another carrier. Now, the waiting game begins.

jtarrio

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
iPhone 4 and iPhone 3G unlock requested

I was on the phone for ~15-20 minutes. I have an iPhone 4 for which I paid my ETF last year when I had to cancel my contract as I was moving to Spain, and an iPhone 3G prior to that (which I upgraded to the 4). I requested the unlock for both.

First for the iPhone 4, they asked for the IMEI and they checked my eligibility. Then they submitted a case, saying that they need to get approval to issue the unlock code, and that I should expect the resolution of the case by April 16th!!!! So I guess I?ll have to wait? well, I?ve waited this long I guess I don?t mind another week?

Then they asked for the iPhone 3G IMEI and checked my eligibility again, and submitted another case with the same resolution date.

Let?s see how this pans out?

lwu886

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Did they give you an estimated date and they gave you the unlock code early? I called and they said estimated date was April 16th! Did they say that to you also?

jtarrio

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Did they give you an estimated date and they gave you the unlock code early? I called and they said estimated date was April 16th! Did they say that to you also?

They also gave me April 16th as estimate. And no, they didn't give me an unlock code. I just hope they set 4/16 as a sort of deadline but that I'll get it sooner...

sjsplaty

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a business account, which was opened in September 2011. I am still under contract with a Blackberry I purchased at that time. I also have an iPhone 4 which I purchased used through eBay and which was locked to ATT. I called to inquire about unlocking the iPhone and spoke to a business care rep this morning around 8:30 EST. She verified my eligibility and then I sat on hold for 45 minutes waiting for tech support to come on the line. He input all my information into his computer, but because I didn't purchase the iPhone through ATT directly and it wasn't attached to my number, he would have to open a ticket. He indicated I would hear back in 24-72 hours via an email with the instructions. Imagine my surprise 1 hour later when I got the email saying the unlock was completed and gave me instructions. I plugged the phone in to iTunes, and sure enough, 30 second later, the phone was unlocked. :D

jtarrio

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Today, 4/8/12, I called AT&T to unlock my contract free 3GS. Took 30 minutes on T's end to get the unlock code, and only 5 minutes to perform a backup and restore via iTunes. Interestingly enough, the phone number shows as NA in the iTunes screen. Same IMEI and ICCID if you click on the same spot.

But did they give you the unlock immediately??

lwu886

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a business account, which was opened in September 2011. I am still under contract with a Blackberry I purchased at that time. I also have an iPhone 4 which I purchased used through eBay and which was locked to ATT. I called to inquire about unlocking the iPhone and spoke to a business care rep this morning around 8:30 EST. She verified my eligibility and then I sat on hold for 45 minutes waiting for tech support to come on the line. He input all my information into his computer, but because I didn't purchase the iPhone through ATT directly and it wasn't attached to my number, he would have to open a ticket. He indicated I would hear back in 24-72 hours via an email with the instructions. Imagine my surprise 1 hour later when I got the email saying the unlock was completed and gave me instructions. I plugged the phone in to iTunes, and sure enough, 30 second later, the phone was unlocked. :D
Around what time did you call? Was it early in the morning right when they opened? Because maybe they didn't have as many requests at that time. I also bought an iPhone 4 locked to ATT on ebay. Did you just give them your IMEI number and they sent the case?

lwu886

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ksws4e
Did they give you an estimated unlock date?

sjsplaty

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Around what time did you call? Was it early in the morning right when they opened? Because maybe they didn't have as many requests at that time. I also bought an iPhone 4 locked to ATT on ebay. Did you just give them your IMEI number and they sent the case?

I called at 8:30 this morning. I gave them my account info and my IMEI. That was it.

kimhill

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Just got off the phone. It was a 20-minute call with a lot of hold time. I got the same "should expect the resolution of the case by April 16th" answer. Bummer...

Basanez

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Were any of you guys able to complete the unlock without an AT&T sim card? I called AT&T, received their e-mail with the attached PDF with instructions of connecting to iTunes, backup and restore and did so, but when the iPhone restarts it asks for a valid sim card. I was not told about this, nor it says so in the PDF. Thank you!

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Were any of you guys able to complete the unlock without an AT&T sim card? I called AT&T, received their e-mail with the attached PDF with instructions of connecting to iTunes, backup and restore and did so, but when the iPhone restarts it asks for a valid sim card. I was not told about this, nor it says so in the PDF. Thank you!

My 3GS was already active on iOs 5.1 before doing the restore. I backed up and restored using my most recent backup and all was fine.

Did you remove your AT&T SIM card before restoring? I kept mine installed.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0ryyzt

Basanez

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I did not even have my SIM card installed, as I only have a microSIM card for my iPhone 4S. I guess I will have to get an adapter but it is such a hassle to do this just for the unlock. Thank you for the reply and the information! :D

aberrant.chicken

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
can anyone most kindly give me the number to at&t cs? i live outside the US and I have an ip4 locked to at&t... lucky for me i have an unlimited international call plan to the US but i was wondering if anyone can give me the number to call and see how i can get a cs rep on the phone... i tried today with a number and i keep getting prompt by the automated system to insert an account number which i don't have since I am no at&t customer.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen