I have a Palm Pre 2 right now and like it a lot, but my friend gave me an iPhone 3G for free and I jailbroke and unlocked it to use it as my main phone on T-Mobile for a week. I like having more applications available, but the iPhone 3G is soooooooooooooo slow. I have to wait 20 seconds to type a tweet sometimes or other basic tasks. I was considering buying a faster iPhone, but don't want to pay a lot (my goal is under $200, I'm kind of cheap). I watched some videos and saw a relatively small difference between the 3GS and the 4, but a large difference between the 3G and 3GS. My question is if I should buy a 3GS now or wait for the 4 to drop in price (they are going for upwards of $300 now). Also, I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the quality of the Gamestop refurbished iPhones. I can get a refurbished 8GB 3GS for $143.99 there. My concerns are scratches, dents, and cracks (I absolutely hate those). Is that a good option or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks for any help!
    02-20-2012 01:32 AM
    The 3GS doesn't run well on iOS 5 due to the lack of RAM. At least get a i4 but would recommend a 4S.
    02-20-2012 02:06 AM
    My old 3GS that my daughter is now using got slightly slower after we updated to iOS 5. As was mentioned above, I would skip the 3GS and go for the iPhone 4.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    02-20-2012 05:12 AM
    Is the speed of the 3GS on iOS 5 horrendous? Is it as slow as the 3G on 4.2.1? I would like something that is at least usable in terms of speed and can multitask without slowing down. If it is still a lot faster than the 3G on 4.2.1, I'm fine with it.
    02-20-2012 10:47 AM
    Is the speed of the 3GS on iOS 5 horrendous? Is it as slow as the 3G on 4.2.1? I would like something that is at least usable in terms of speed and can multitask without slowing down. If it is still a lot faster than the 3G on 4.2.1, I'm fine with it.
    I wouldn't say it is horrendous, however, I definitely noticed a lag after the update compared to my iPhone 4.

02-20-2012 12:20 PM
    I would say yes or if not close. The 256 RAM the 3GS has is not enough to power iOS 5.
    02-20-2012 12:27 PM
    I wouldn't say it is horrendous, however, I definitely noticed a lag after the update compared to my iPhone 4.

I found a Youtube video comparing iOS 5 on both the 3GS and 4 and there was minimal difference:

This is why I was wondering if it's worth the wait for the iPhone 4 to drop in price on eBay or Craigslist. The screen doesn't bother me on the 3GS.
    02-20-2012 12:27 PM
    3gs is my first iPhone (running iOS5)

Have to say since moving over from BB I am very happy with it, if you're not that bothered about having the latest all singing and dancing tech then it's a great phone to use.

Haven't really noticed any lag on it, though haven't played with a 4 or 4s to notice the difference. Everything I have purchased runs fine on it and haven't come across any issues or shutdown's etc..
    02-20-2012 12:56 PM
    I found a Youtube video comparing iOS 5 on both the 3GS and 4 and there was minimal difference:

This is why I was wondering if it's worth the wait for the iPhone 4 to drop in price on eBay or Craigslist. The screen doesn't bother me on the 3GS.
    I suppose every iPhone is different. The lag isn't terrible, I just noticed that it ran a little slower after the update compared to my iPhone 4. If you're not bothered by it then go for the 3GS.

02-20-2012 01:05 PM
    3gs is my first iPhone (running iOS5)

Have to say since moving over from BB I am very happy with it, if you're not that bothered about having the latest all singing and dancing tech then it's a great phone to use.

Haven't really noticed any lag on it, though haven't played with a 4 or 4s to notice the difference. Everything I have purchased runs fine on it and haven't come across any issues or shutdown's etc..
    How do some games that you downloaded run? Temple Run on my 3G is practically unplayable (it lags a lot).
    02-20-2012 01:25 PM
    Temple run plays fine for me, 2.5m score with no real lag

Played things like galaxy on fire, GTA, Fifa, Real Football etc... and can't say I've noticed any lag during gameplay, from time to time it does take a few seconds extra to load the game initially to load but once you start playing its fine.

Personally I haven't noticed anything lacking to justify upgrading to the 4/4s at the moment
    02-20-2012 03:39 PM
    Well, I think I'll go with a 3GS, but what are the chances that I'll get one with an unlockable baseband from Gamestop?
    02-20-2012 05:12 PM
    Well, I think I'll go with a 3GS, but what are the chances that I'll get one with an unlockable baseband from Gamestop?
    Gamestop is just a reseller, it's a crapshoot.
    02-21-2012 12:52 PM
    I got my 3GS in the mail yesterday from Fleabay and it is nice. It is so much faster than the 3G was, even on iOS 5. I get a couple momentary lags, but I did on my Pre 2 as well, so it isn't a big deal.
    02-29-2012 06:47 PM
    Can you describe more about your 3GS, I would like to buy it next week.
    What would you like to know?
    03-19-2012 05:31 PM
    I bought an iPhone 3GS from GameStop for my brother. It had no visible scratches and it works perfectly on iOS 5 and it seems on par with the speed of my iPhone 4.
    03-23-2012 02:27 PM
    I bought an iPhone 3GS from GameStop for my brother. It had no visible scratches and it works perfectly on iOS 5 and it seems on par with the speed of my iPhone 4.
    I think the 3GS runs iOS 5 just fine. The only thing I would want the iPhone 4 for would be the better battery. But the 3GS battery is fine as long as I don't play games (not much of a set back).
    03-23-2012 08:57 PM
    The battery on my brother's 3GS is a little lacking though, but not really that bad.
    03-23-2012 11:14 PM
    The battery on my brother's 3GS is a little lacking though, but not really that bad.
    I just ordered a Zagg Sparq since I got it relatively cheap and it can charge the iPhone 4 times on a single charge supposedly. It should come in the mail really soon. Hopefully it helps since the battery in my 3GS is kind of old.
    03-24-2012 12:00 AM
    How do some games that you downloaded run? Temple Run on my 3G is practically unplayable (it lags a lot).
    Temple run works fine on my 3GS. I run iOS 5.1.1
    05-18-2012 06:32 PM
    friskies64 iphone 4 is best for you bro
    I already have a 3GS and it works just fine.
    07-25-2012 10:35 AM
    Your 3GS works fine right now, but don't be surprised if you notice a significant performance decrease when iOS 6 is released. This is the same story people with the 3G experienced, and it's destined for the 3GS as well (as it is nearing the end of it's relevancy in the modern smart phone world).

It's a fine phone, but it isn't going to remain a well performing device when it comes to the new features and future updates, you will definitely notice the change.
    07-25-2012 12:14 PM
    Your 3GS works fine right now, but don't be surprised if you notice a significant performance decrease when iOS 6 is released. This is the same story people with the 3G experienced, and it's destined for the 3GS as well (as it is nearing the end of it's relevancy in the modern smart phone world).

It's a fine phone, but it isn't going to remain a well performing device when it comes to the new features and future updates, you will definitely notice the change.
    I saw a video of iOS 6 Beta 1 on a 3GS and it still ran smoothly. I don't know if anything has changed since that beta.
    07-25-2012 02:23 PM
    iOS 4 ran smoothly on the 3G as well in Beta form...and we see how that went. Will it be that severe a change? Maybe not, the 3GS does have a substantially better processor and is an overall better phone than the 3G was...but i still feel that model is nearing its end cycle when it comes to performance with the current software.
    07-25-2012 07:52 PM
    Check ebay, you may find a body damaged iPhone 4 in that price range as well, since you need speed more than other things so it would be better for you to go for it!
    07-31-2012 03:07 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD