Use Rogers SIM Card in iPhone 3Gs

bwgreen

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
My wife has a BlackBerry Bold 9700, and she is thinking of getting a 3Gs. One question - will a non-Rogers 3Gs work on Rogers, using the Rogers SIM? I know that we would need to jailbreak the phone - but would it work with the SIM, and the Rogers network?

Thanks,

Brian

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You would need to jailbreak and unlock .. Then any gsm sim card will work .. Speeds for data depend on what band the carrier is on .. And you might have to set up some carrier setting to get Internet and mms to work .. But to answer your question yes it will work

bwgreen

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
If it theoretically would work, does anyone know what we would need to do?

The reason we are looking at doing this - the price for an off-contract 3GS from Rogers is a LOT more than from Bell.

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
It should work. I'm doing the opposite myself, I bought a used 3gs 16gb white for $220 from a dude on craigslist, and I'm jailbreaking it right now.
It is locked to Rogers.
I need to unlock it and get a sim to use it on Bell.
I expect it to work flawlessly, and don't anticipate any problems. I am only taking it one step at a time, so I don't know all the details, but use google searches, and the jailbreak forums here, and you'll find your way like I do.
I'm pretty sure the general procedure is this:
1. Get iPhone girlfriend!
2. Jailbreak that thang girlfriend!
3. Use Cydia to get some software and then unlock it via that software... Girlfriend!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
^ u got it ...
Some tips
If its a 3GS check the baseband if the software is updated the baseband may not be unlockable

In the setting screen you can see the modem firmware this is the "Baseband" compare with below to see if your iphone can be unlocked

Unlockable :

1.59.00 iPhone 4

5.11.07 3Gs

5.12.01 3Gs

5.13.04 3Gs

6.15.00 3Gs

Convert-able + Unlockable :

5.14.02 Convert-able to 6.15.00 3Gs

5.15.04 Convert-able to 6.15.00 3Gs

5.16.00 Convert-able to 6.15.00 3Gs

5.16.01 Convert-able to 6.15.00 3Gs

5.16.02 Convert-able to 6.15.00 3Gs

NOT Unlockable "YET''

2.10.04 iPhone 4

3.10.01 iPhone 4

4.10.01 iPhone 4

Basically you JB I like redsnow

If u have a unlockable baseband open Cydia and install ultrasnow this will unlock it ...

If its not a unlockable basband your only option is to upgrade the baseband this can be done with redsnow after u JB redo the jailbreak and follow steps but read the warning .. Doing this does void any apple warranty as it can not be undone at the moment / and you will not be able to restore the phone using iTunes like normal.

Check out iclairified.com or some help and tutorials

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I did it! Jailbroken, (my ipad too while I was at it all), unlocked on 06.15.00, no gps (SAD FACE), ios5, running the SAM thing, to give it a "real activation" so it has better battery life, and stuff. This is fantastic news!
Unfortunately, I don't have a SIM cause my current bell phone is Palm Pre, (terribbblllleeeee) and its CDMA. So tomorrow I'll be going into a bell store to get me a sim for my 3gs and I will repost again after I do that and let you know about my success. From Rogers to Bell. If it all goes well, you should have no problems going from Bell to Rogers.

Just pray your BaseBand doesn't have to be bumped up to 06.15.00 and make you lose your GPS. I'm very sad about that, and hope the hacker elite find a workaround or fix for it sometime, although I'm not in a rush about it, my pre's didnt work for 7 months, and magically turned on the other day (too little too late HP!). It's just inconvenient.

bwgreen

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
How hard is this? And is it going to need to be connected to the computer EVERY time it turns on? We're thinking, since she doesn't want to have to do that, that it may make sense to get a Rogers one - to avoid the unlocking & jailbreaking stuff.

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
At iOS5 the only jailbreak available is a tethered jailbreak. That means it has to be connected every time you turn it on or it locks at the boot logo.

This isn't inconvenient if you never turn your phone off, and it plugs into the charger every night, which I do.

The technical knowhow required to jailbreak the phone and unlock is a moderate level, if you can follow instructions, and google things yourself, you should have no problem. Mind you, if you get nervous easily around poorly produced sites, or are inexperienced in dealing with "basement dev" software as I like to call it, you might feel like this whole process is a little scary. None of the software you use, or websites you will go to look very flashy or well polished, but they all work very well, they have a purpose of getting the job done and nothing else. (Also everything is free. If they ask you for money you're getting scammed, its a bad site, go back and try again somewhere else).

After it is jailbroken and unlocked there is nothing else special about using the phone and it'll be the same user experience (plus jailbreak goodies if she uses them).

Also to be considered, an untethered jailbreak WILL come out eventually for iOS5.0 and you will be able to update the jailbreak (simply by 're-jailbreaking' with the new jailbreak software), and your iphone will be untethered, meaning you can start it up without the PC.

However, if your phone's baseband (Settings > General > About > "Modem Firmware") is 05.14.02 or any higher sequence, you will have to "upgrade" to the ipad baseband, 06.15.00 (redsn0w can also do this for you, its as easy as jailbreaking is).

Only problem with upgrading the baseband, is that you run the risk of losing GPS function, you lose Apple guaruntees, and they will know you've unlocked your phone and jailbroken it. It is irreversible at this time and there is little to no hope of that changing.

And if you do update to the 06.15.00 baseband, you can never run stock firmware. I.E. you cannot update your phone via iTunes or restore your phone or anything to an original apple iOS version. You can ONLY run jailbreak firmwares.

This doesn't mean you can never update your phone, but it does mean you must wait until a jailbreak comes out for any new iOS versions, before you can update your iPhone to the new jailbreak version. In which case you should come back to the forums for special instructions on how to do so, if you don't know.

If your baseband is unlockable however, you have MUCH less to worry about, and unlocking is a lot safer and more risk-free.

From what it sounds like, the tethered jailbreak is your biggest issue, which makes sense, most people don't like dealing with that. The whole jailbreak + unlock process took ME about 3-4 hours, including research time, time to download all the things I needed, and the actual physical process of doing everything.

ALSO!!! AFTER ACTION REPORT!!!

I got my iPhone successfully updated to 06.15.00 last night, unlocked it via ultrasn0w, corrected the activation via SAM (optional, improves battery life among other things), and after my gps stopped working! I was only testing the gps through wifi however.

But this morning, I went and got a bell sim, popped it in and switched my account over from my CDMA phone to my new iPhone, and I got it working INSTANTLY with no hassle. The unlock worked amazingly :) And I checked after putting in the SIM and MY FREAKING GPS WORKED AGAIN!!!! GIRLFRIEND!

The end.
/endrant

Last edited:

bwgreen

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
And another question (I think I know the answer, but I wanted to ask) - is there any difference between the SIM for a BlackBerry versus the SIM for an iPhone? My guess is a SIM is a SIM is a SIM, but I want to be sure of that!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 4 uses micro sim older iPhones use reg sim like a blackberry To use your bb sim in iPhone 4 u would need a sim cutter to cut the bb card to fit

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes blackberry SIM might be different size, in which case, it might be less hassle to get a new SIM. And if you buy iPhone 3gs from Apple, that comes unlocked, it will be running on a normal baseband, in which case your GPS will work fine, you won't have to jailbreak, and you can run it on any network, sans problemes.

TravCarp

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
So I don't want to start a new topic only because my question is so similar... So I don't need to unlock the phone if I'm already a Rogers customer? (I too want to switch from the 9700 to the 3gs) I also have the blackberry plan - will I need to switch to the iphone plan? Will they even let me do that when i'm technically on the blackberry contract?

Cheers...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro