I've had my latest Iphone 3gs for over 2 years and have ran into some issues of late (it turns of within 2-3 minutes if used and not being plugged in). Anyways a friend was nice enough to give me his old Iphone 3gs & I have a few questions about backing up onto the new phone. Any help is MUCH appreciated...

1) First off he left his old sim card in the phone, do I need to switch those out? & if so when do I do it? Before or after I try and back up onto the new phone

2) His software is pretty out of date and I need to update before it lets me back up. It says I need to set it up as a new phone but I'm afraid it will overwrite the back up from my original phone. Will I be okay to set the new phone up as a new phone without loosing ANY of my previous data??

3) After I've backed up/changed sim cards etc. Do I need to do anything to activate the new phone? Like call at&t, apple, etc.

Again thanks for your help
    07-26-2011 12:15 AM
    I've had my latest Iphone 3gs for over 2 years and have ran into some issues of late (it turns of within 2-3 minutes if used and not being plugged in). Anyways a friend was nice enough to give me his old Iphone 3gs & I have a few questions about backing up onto the new phone. Any help is MUCH appreciated...

1) First off he left his old sim card in the phone, do I need to switch those out? & if so when do I do it? Before or after I try and back up onto the new phone

2) His software is pretty out of date and I need to update before it lets me back up. It says I need to set it up as a new phone but I'm afraid it will overwrite the back up from my original phone. Will I be okay to set the new phone up as a new phone without loosing ANY of my previous data??

3) After I've backed up/changed sim cards etc. Do I need to do anything to activate the new phone? Like call at&t, apple, etc.

Sounds like your phone needs a new battery
    As far as a swap just back up your current phone swap sims hook new phone up update software set phone as new when complete it will ask if you want to restore from a back up just select your back up file and let it go you will be good to go.
    07-26-2011 01:45 AM
    Thanks for the reply man. I really appreciate it.

The only problem I have is when I plug in the new phone "update" or "check for updates" isn't even an option. It only says "Set up as new iphone" & "restore from the back up of:" I can't do the later because of the old software.

Thanks
    07-26-2011 03:05 AM
    Thanks for the reply man. I really appreciate it.

The only problem I have is when I plug in the new phone "update" or "check for updates" isn't even an option. It only says "Set up as new iphone" & "restore from the back up of:" I can't do the later because of the old software.

Thanks
    Restore it first then you should be able to update the software if it font let u cuz ur backup is from newer software then click set as new update the software then restore
    07-27-2011 02:43 AM

1. Yes you need to switch it, you can do it right away just make sure the phone is off when you take yours out and put it into the new phone. You should put his in your phone just until the process is complete then you can give it back to him. If you boot the phone without a SIM it will go into Emergency call mode.

2. You can update his phone just do the updates before you start the switchover hook new one to iTunes and hit upgrade and let it upgrade. The upgrade has nothing to do with the backups. Upgrade is the OS, backups is the data two seperate things. Just don't sync after the update is complete or it may do a backup. If his phone has a different name it shouldn't matter anyway but just to be on the safe side. Yes you can set it up as a new phone then after it's done in the left column of iTunes right click the phone and choose restore from backup. You can also instead of set up as new phone choose restore from backup and it will restore from the backup of your phone which will wipe out your friend's data anyway.

3. Your phone account is your SIM card, the phone is just a vessel so you can use a SIM card in any phone that will take it and it will basically become your phone. So you don't need to do anything afterwards.

One thing to consider what carrier is his phone on? If it is unlocked for some reason by upgrading the firmware you will wipe out the unlock so maybe you want to ask your friend first.
    07-27-2011 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD