using 3Gs without data plan on AT&T???

jmarine

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
is there anyway to unlock or change a setting on the 3GS to prevent AT&T from automatically assigning a data plan to the phone?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe so. If you phone is connected to the provider's network, they can see it and tell what kind of phone it is... so if it can see the phone and identify it as a smartphone, I don't think you can get away without a data plan.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I don't believe so. If you phone is connected to the provider's network, they can see it and tell what kind of phone it is... so if it can see the phone and identify it as a smartphone, I don't think you can get away without a data plan.

This is correct. I sort of tried it once with my kids phones. (old Palm Centro) I actually had bought them the Family Data plan for Feature phones, back then they didn't use much data and I didn't figure the Centro was a Smartphone,:rolleyes: but once my kids got on line AT&T could see what kind of phone they had and automatically put them on a Data Plan.:(

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There are a lot of things people "SAY" will hide you from AT&T's all knowing, all seeing eyes...but the truth is, if they want to know, it is very easy for them to find out what exactly you're using on their network, what plan you have and how much data you're using.

And nothing an app or downloaded function would do can prevent AT&T from deciding to limit your data usage...because there is no regulation, once you're out of a contract that provides you unlimited data service, that they are obligated to offer you such.

Markelchella

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Now that Verizon has announced that it will begin selling Apple's very popular mobile smart phone device, the iPhone, the competition between Verizon and AT&T is certain to heat up. AT&T's monopoly over the iPhone effectively being over on February 10, 2011.iPhone 5 Release Date

qa4340

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
You can use a 3GS without a data plan. You weren't able to before, but now I can use my old 3GS with my daughters sim card. Here is what I did.

When I initially got the sim card for my daughter, it was on a regular line. I had AT&T turn off the data so my daughter couldn't download anything on her phone. Now that I have upgraded, I gave her my 3GS. Here is how I got it to work. I resorted the phone as new without a sim installed. When it finished, the phone prompts you to activate it by choosing some settings. You no longer need to be connected to iTunes. After you make your selections, the phone says it is activated. Then you can install the sim card and it should work. You can make phone calls and send texts. You can use full functionality if you are connected to wifi.

The only thing I have not been able to get to work is picture messaging. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get it to work?

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
If you have data turned off...you can not send MMS. MMS needs a little data to send. If your phone has no data at all it will not work. Found this out with my kids when they got their first phones.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner