2 Year Old iPhone 3GS owners ..

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
It's about to be the second year since the 3GS has been released. I brought my iPhone from day one and I remember it like yesterday *sigh*. However it seems as if my iPhone has reached the end of the road ! Let me take you on a little adventure.

In January I finally broke my screen. I knew it was going to happen eventually. A month after having my 3GS in 2009 I dropped it from a moving bike at a reasonable speed without a case on. A few times I vigorously removed the sheets from my bed with my iPhone on top of it. My iPhone flew up about 3 feet higher than my hight so maybe 9 feet in the air , yeah - ouch but no break. Of course there were a few minor 3-4 feet drops here an there. Not to mention in February 2010 a droplet ( or two ) of water got into the 30-pin connector's water sensor. Now January 2011, with a case on and headphones still plugged in , while removing my iPhone from my back pocket, my protected iPhone slipped from my moist palms and fell ever so graciously on it's side onto the cement floor in IKea. The screen actually made a crushing/crinkling sound before I even got to turn around to look at it.

So my iPhone has been through a lot in the last 2 years but I'm wondering if taking better care of it would of made any difference in terms of longevity. Up until 2009 I've seen iPhone 2Gs on occasion

Other problems with the phone has came up as well. The 30-pin connection doesn't work well any more and now today the vibration motor doesn't work.

After Apple made the text message alert to two buzzes instead of one, I suppose the vibrator motor got exhausted sooner than later.

So the question I propose is this : are iPhones only meant to last a certain amount of time , say , 2 years ? I've had phones that lasted me more than 3 years in good condition treated as a normal phone. Oh, not to mention those phones weren't made of glass and didn't have as many ( technical ) parts.

Are there any 3GS owners out there ? What are your drop stories and how are you making sure your iPhone remains in good condition ?

Nchaka

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I still Have my 3gs, its in good shape (knock on wood). I have Zagg invisible shield (full) and it has protected it well. I carry it in a belt case and I have dropped it from the stairs to the asphalt a couple of times with no damage.
My sounds/alerts sound warbled from time to time. And when moving between screens it lags alittle. I have restored it, but it didn't help.
I like the iPhone 4, but I'm holding out for iphone 5.
I usually change phones when my contract is up, but I'm holding out.

oNly1pHone

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPhone 3GS!! It works absolutely beautifully! It has never been dropped(so far) so I can't report on that! As far as the phone only being designed to last a certain amount of time, that I don't agree with! I think as much as you loved your phone and tried to look after it I think it just had a bit of a rough life! Don't mean anything bad by saying that either.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
My wife had our 3G for over 2 years. Now both had screen protectors and both were in Otterbox cases. When I sold them, they both looked almost brand new. especially my wife's. I was able to sell them for enough that our two new iP4s were basically free!

My wife and I both actually thought of keeping the 3G because they both still worked so well. So I would say YES the iPhone can last for many years if looked after properly. ie. A good case.:cool:

Reactions: pramukhempire

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
My husband's 3GS has survived many drops and been fine until last week when he noticed a vertical white line that runs the length of the screen, Until then, no issues. He uses a case to carry but uses it naked. I have a friend who is still using her original iPhone, bought in 11/07. It's just now starting to shoe some issues, probably age related. She uses a case and has had minimal drops.

Reactions: pramukhempire

brokenartist

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
A lot of how long a phone lasts is all about wear and tear and what you put it through. I am sorry for your loss, however now you can look forward to the iPhone 4.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It's about to be the second year since the 3GS has been released. I brought my iPhone from day one and I remember it like yesterday *sigh*. However it seems as if my iPhone has reached the end of the road ! Let me take you on a little adventure.

In January I finally broke my screen. I knew it was going to happen eventually. A month after having my 3GS in 2009 I dropped it from a moving bike at a reasonable speed without a case on. A few times I vigorously removed the sheets from my bed with my iPhone on top of it. My iPhone flew up about 3 feet higher than my hight so maybe 9 feet in the air , yeah - ouch but no break. Of course there were a few minor 3-4 feet drops here an there. Not to mention in February 2010 a droplet ( or two ) of water got into the 30-pin connector's water sensor. Now January 2011, with a case on and headphones still plugged in , while removing my iPhone from my back pocket, my protected iPhone slipped from my moist palms and fell ever so graciously on it's side onto the cement floor in IKea. The screen actually made a crushing/crinkling sound before I even got to turn around to look at it.

So my iPhone has been through a lot in the last 2 years but I'm wondering if taking better care of it would of made any difference in terms of longevity. Up until 2009 I've seen iPhone 2Gs on occasion

Other problems with the phone has came up as well. The 30-pin connection doesn't work well any more and now today the vibration motor doesn't work.

After Apple made the text message alert to two buzzes instead of one, I suppose the vibrator motor got exhausted sooner than later.

So the question I propose is this : are iPhones only meant to last a certain amount of time , say , 2 years ? I've had phones that lasted me more than 3 years in good condition treated as a normal phone. Oh, not to mention those phones weren't made of glass and didn't have as many ( technical ) parts.

Are there any 3GS owners out there ? What are your drop stories and how are you making sure your iPhone remains in good condition ?

I still have my iPhone 3G that I keep at work to use as an iPod and for portable email at the campus (because of security I don't want it on my main personal phone). If it didn't have the big scratch on the screen you would think it was brand new. The scratch came from it's only drop when it stuck to my pocket while removing it to go through the xray machine at work, which up until I got my iPhone 4 it went through every week day.

Jeffdc5#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Sold my 3GS to a friend last year it was mint and is still mint now. I have a sprint pre from launch day it is still mint physically. I bricked it messing around with webos doctor.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
When I got my IP4 I gave my other half my IP3Gs. It is nearly 2 years old now and is completely as new. I have had it in a Zagg protector from new and in a leather full case when out-and-about.

I suspect water in your 30pin connector hasn't help things. Just because it was 'alright at the time' doesn't mean that it hasn't had a long term effect on the socket.

TBH, without wishing to sound rude, from what you have written, you are lucky it has lasted this long!

Build quality is just fine.

fast96

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 3gs well over a year, I used a screen protector and Otterbox commuter case for the first 6 mos. but have since taken the protector off. I carry it in my pocket (screen side in) so it gets little abuse. I take the case off about once a month and dust it off from pocket lint. LOL
About 6 mos to upgrade to ip4. I want face time with my grandkids. :p

iPhoneGleek

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
My brother still has a 3Gs in great condition. You seem to nit be very careful with it, which might explain why your phone is in the state it is in now.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I sold my iPhone 3GS (white 32GB) to my brother in law...still functions perfectly and is just as fast as my iphone 4 when it comes to web browsing and general functionality. The phone seems ripe to last a lot longer, so to answer your question OP, no...i don't think the phones are limited to a couple years of usable service, i think the 3G started to fall off because it couldn't handle the upgrades that were implemented through firmware updates, and eventually, that could very well be the case for the 3GS, but i don't think you'll see that for a good while...

The 3GS was and still is a pinnacle smart phone, i can only hope the new models coming have the longevity of the 3GS.

jdavis22

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a 3gs and it's been through a lot of dropping and such and is in beautiful working condition. It has a small scratch on the screen and a chip by the headphone jack, and basically it looks brand new, and I hardly ever use a case. If it wasn't for the fact that I get tired to phones quickly, I'd hold onto it longer, but I'm trading up for the 5 in October or whenever it is released.

That being said, any phone will fail if abused to much. I still have an original Nokia 3310 that works like a champ. It all depends on how nice you are to it.

fast96

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I spoke too soon, and I guess my wifes 3gs isn't as old as I thought. Today the home button became inoperable. Called 611 and found out it was 11 months old, and was told to take it to an Apple store. The one closest was 20 miles away at West Farms Mall in CT. The place was like a toy store. LOL All the best Apple stuff was setup and being played with. Got to talk to a rep in about 10 minutes, and walked out with a brand new 3gs for zero dollars. One more reason to own the best.:D

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I spoke too soon, and I guess my wifes 3gs isn't as old as I thought. Today the home button became inoperable. Called 611 and found out it was 11 months old, and was told to take it to an Apple store. The one closest was 20 miles away at West Farms Mall in CT. The place was like a toy store. LOL All the best Apple stuff was setup and being played with. Got to talk to a rep in about 10 minutes, and walked out with a brand new 3gs for zero dollars. One more reason to own the best.:D

I love it when that happens. Snapple is wrong. Apple is made from the best stuff on earth!

josh44#AC

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
My sister use to work for Apple and has the original iPhone still. Although she does not use it as a phone anymore, she still has it with her everywhere she goes. It has a couple of scratches here and there but what more could you ask for, she has had it almost 6 years!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My sister use to work for Apple and has the original iPhone still. Although she does not use it as a phone anymore, she still has it with her everywhere she goes. It has a couple of scratches here and there but what more could you ask for, she has had it almost 6 years!

Most likely a little closer to 4 years... ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner