Hi all,

Just bough a used 3GS, it came jailbroken and unlocked with iOS 4.2.1 and baseband 6.15.00. The previous owner left his email and other details on there and I've slowly been cleaning them up.

However the phone has a missing AppStore icon. I tried turning restrictions off, and "Reset home screen layout" and it doesn't come back. At this point I would like to restore settings but do not want to lose the jailbreak or unlock.

1. is it safe to do "Reset all settings" on the phone? Will this delete the Cydia icon and other custom apps or affect the jb?

2. Is it safe to do a restore from iTunes using custom 4.2.1 firmware? Is this needed to restore phone to factory defaults, and will this preserve jb and unlock?

3. Short of #2 what else needs to be done to restore as much as possible?

Thanks
    02-10-2011 06:07 PM
    Make sure to go to settings first, make sure he doesn't have the app store enabled to be blocked in restrictions, this may help!
    02-10-2011 06:29 PM
    I've checked, all restrictions are off. I turned back on and then off again as well.
    02-10-2011 07:07 PM
    You have the iPad baseband so the only thing to do is restore to custom firmware. You already mentioned it so I'm taking it that you know what you're doing. So you need to make a 4.2 ipsw with pwnage tool 4.1.3 and do an option restore.
    02-10-2011 08:47 PM
    what are some of the advantages of jailbreaking a phone and how is that different than unlocking a phone.

Does it do mire than give you more flexibility in the OS

What are some examples of things you can do on a jailbroken phone opposed to a stock phone ?
    02-10-2011 11:43 PM
    Is SBSettings installed? You can hide apps with that as well
    02-10-2011 11:46 PM
    what are some of the advantages of jailbreaking a phone and how is that different than unlocking a phone.

Does it do mire than give you more flexibility in the OS

What are some examples of things you can do on a jailbroken phone opposed to a stock phone ?
    You can search for a more detailed answer the question has been asked a million times. I will give you a quick answer. Jailbreak allows you to run non-Apple sanctioned apps an customizations ie. Themes Unlocking allows you to run the phone on the network it wa intended for so an AT&T iPhone on T-Mobile
    02-11-2011 07:32 AM
    Is SBSettings installed? You can hide apps with that as well
    ^^^^ This.

When I had my 3GS jailbroken I used to hide some of the default apps with SBSettings.
    02-11-2011 08:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD