iPhone 3GS Restore Problem

Mike4391

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I have an iPhone 3GS that I'm trying to jailbreak for my brother, it SAYS it has 4.2.1 installed, but it doesn't have multitasking, backgrounds, battery percentage, or any other features of 4.2, last night I tried to jailbreak it with GreenPois0n, but it wouldn't work. So I tried to restore to a clean copy of 4.2.1 (from apple) and it says it can't restore because it's incompatible.. The only thing I can think of is maybe I messed something up a while ago, trying to jailbreak it with RedSn0w, but idk, can anyone help me "restore" this to 4.2.1.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Since multitasking has been on the entire gambit of iOS 4, it wouldn't specifically relate to 4.2.1...honestly, with the 3GS, you prob wouldn't have anything noticeable that came with 4.2.1 unless you knew all the small details and used said features at all.

What exactly does the phone do when on the home screen and you double tap the "home" button?

As far as the Greenpois0n jailbreak, it is problematic because it is less than one day old...but issues you have with jailbreaking it should be referenced in this sites jailbreak section for better help...

Mike4391

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Well I also tried restoring to 4.1 (also downloaded from apple) and it also said it was incompatible.. at the moment that's my biggest concern and probably the reason I can't jailbreak, something must be wrong with the current software and I can't figure out how to change it and don't want to upgrade to 4.3.. at least not until ITS jailbreak is out.. When I double click the home button it goes to "Favorites"

Mike4391

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
iOS 4.3 isn't out yet right? If I try to restore and update my iPhone on iTunes without choosing my own firmware, it'll just restore it to 4.2 right?

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
iOS 4.3 isn't out yet right? If I try to restore and update my iPhone on iTunes without choosing my own firmware, it'll just restore it to 4.2 right?

4.3 is only available to developers currently, and yes if you restore on itunes it will restore to 4.2.1.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I have an iPhone 3GS that I'm trying to jailbreak for my brother, it SAYS it has 4.2.1 installed, but it doesn't have multitasking, backgrounds, battery percentage, or any other features of 4.2, last night I tried to jailbreak it with GreenPois0n, but it wouldn't work. So I tried to restore to a clean copy of 4.2.1 (from apple) and it says it can't restore because it's incompatible.. The only thing I can think of is maybe I messed something up a while ago, trying to jailbreak it with RedSn0w, but idk, can anyone help me "restore" this to 4.2.1.

Sounds like you have a iPhone 3G not 3GS that would explain 4.2.1 not having backgrounds battery etc.
You can enable these while jb in redsnow

Mike4391

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
LoL, a little late, but yeah that's what the problem was, as soon as I plugged it into TinyUmbrella it listed it as iPhone 3G, in the end I did use the jailbreak app to put those features on there.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
LoL, a little late, but yeah that's what the problem was, as soon as I plugged it into TinyUmbrella it listed it as iPhone 3G, in the end I did use the jailbreak app to put those features on there.

Oh sorry didn't mean to revive a dead thread didn't look at the date my bad lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2