Is the iphone 3gs 8gb refurb for 30 dollars a good buy

rodney0905

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
It is a new 2 year. The reason I feel like it's worth it is because 6 months ago it was nt only ATT's best phone but one of the best in the US market. When the iPhone 4 came out, the 3gs became a "midrange" or second tier device. I am not comparing the 3gs to the other high end phones like the Captivate,Focus and iPhone. Exclude those 3 and you have the Torch, Pre Plus, Bold. On Sprint you have the Evo, and Epic, then phones like the Optimus S, Zio, and Transform. On Verizon you have the Droid X, 2, Incredible, but their midrange devices are the Ally, Vortex, Citrus. On T-Mo, its the MyTouch, G2, and HD7, and their midrange phones are Optimus, 8520, MyTouch slide. Comparing the iPhone 3gs to other midrange phones, I really feel like I'm getting my moneys worth. It is an older phone but compare it to other midrange phones that just came out the 3gs (In my opinion) still holds its own.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
That's a very good point. I never really looked at it like that. I mean it is now a mid range phone being that the iPhone 4 is out. And it is definitely the best one out looking at it's competition.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
$30 is a great price for ANY of the iPhones, including the 3GS...and with account upgrades and such, when you are ready for one of the newer models, you'll still get good money for that 3GS.

Gadgetholik

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
It can't get any better than this.30 dollars for a refurbished iphone 3gS!,you can't even get a nice iphone4 case these days for that price.Don't let this offer slip away go for it.And by the way even if you are not happy with at&t's contract you can unlock the iphone 3gS any time you wish to.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I think it's one of those good deals not worth it. I'd spring for another $120 or so and get the 4. You got a 2 year contract. That means another $5 a month and you'll be using the 4 over the 3gs.

I doubt there is a human alive who wouldn't pay another $5 / month for the use of a 4 over the 3.

rodney0905

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I think it's one of those good deals not worth it. I'd spring for another $120 or so and get the 4. You got a 2 year contract. That means another $5 a month and you'll be using the 4 over the 3gs.

I doubt there is a human alive who wouldn't pay another $5 / month for the use of a 4 over the 3.

I understand your logic. Some people are saying it is a good deal. Some people are saying it is not. I still have not made up my mind. I still feel like the 3gs is a top 3 ATT phone. Iphone 4, Captivate, Focus/Torch are the top phones. And thats just spec wise. The 3gs is on par with the Torch (in my opinion). And its tough to compare the 3gs against the Focus because WP7 is still so young. I think it's okay to get a top three phone for 30 dollars. That's why I'm thinking it's a good deal. Still, (in my opinion) better than a lot of phones out there.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey, Rodney. Just look at them. The retina display MAKES the 4. It's a whole new experience. There are other aspects, but for me, it's the display difference which would make the 4 (and did make the 4) the winner. You get a 3 and then see a 4 & then you'll just buy the 4 anyway.

rodney0905

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I feel like I might be looking at this in different way than some people. Maybe I took your statement the wrong way so let me know if I did (sorry if so). The iPhone 4 is a better phone. There are a lot of phones better than the 3gs. The retina display makes any phone display look worse. I could buy an iPhone 4 or a Samsung Captivate and get a better specd' phone than the 3gs but I am looking for a good deal. I'm just wondering if the 3gs for 30 is a good deal. I think the quick answer is yes but this obvious takes some thought. I agree that there are better phones out there than the 3gs but having the "best" phone isn't a concern. Getting a good deal is. Thats all I am trying to figure out.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking at the total cost of ownership which, to my mind, is the only way to look at this sort of contract purchase.

Take the cost of a new 4g phone, add the total cost of the contract ($X times 24 months) and then do the same with the $30 3gs. You can't even see the difference in the total if you look at it per month. The 4 gives a much better experience so for me it'd be a no brainer that I'd do the 4.

YMMV.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ You're talking a difference of $169 over the 24 month contract...the difference of the $30 3GS and the $199 iP4.

Unfortunately, that is NOT what he was asking in the initial post...he was asking if a $30 3GS was worth the money...and the answer is an unquestionable YES, regardless of what anyone's opinion of comparison with other phones is. During his contract, he will still enjoy the instant saving of almost $200, and he can also take advantage of non-contract pricing people pay for iPhones. Right now the 3GS is floating around $200 for an 8GB, in a year, i think its safe to say that the 3GS will prob be around $125 if sold. Take that logic and add to it the $170 he saved from the initial buy and you have approx $300 towards another phone...which is almost assured to be more than an upgraded cost of the iPhone 5 by the time he is ready for an upgrade (12 months into the contract).

So by that time, he'll have enjoyed a very capable 3GS, and have waited until bugs and issues are worked out of the iP5...he can upgrade his line, and if they stick to their typical pricing structure, he'll actually profit in the end depending on the condition of his 3GS at that point.

The iP4 is a world different...and an all around better phone. That information is irrelevant to the OP's question though, because it actually makes more sense financially for him to buy the 3GS, and later upgrade to the iPhone 5.

Last edited:

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
That is what he was asking simply because you CAN'T buy a $30 3gs. It comes with the contract. If you could buy the phone and walk out w/o a contract, that's one thing & it's a great deal. But you cannot. It comes tied to a VERY long tail - the 2 year highly prices ATT contract. Unless your world will hinge on saving $100 over the next 2 years, it's a stinker deal.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
^^^ You apparently have very poor reading comprehension. Did you bother to read anything i posted above you?

OK, major brain. You show me where you can buy a $30 3gs and walk out w/o a contract. You want to get into a flame war with me and I'll burn you stupid ugly ass off.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Holy sh*t e-Tough guy...again, your reading comprehension is apparently worse than i thought. Who said ANYTHING about getting a 3GS with no contract? lol...again, i ask you to read what i said...specifically pointing out the amount of money saved (WITH A CONTRACT) over the 24 months...

Man...some of you on here really have to have things spelled out like 3rd graders before it sinks in dont you?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I did you a favor (since apparently your tough guy brain needed a little help)...i bolded the part of my original post that i'm guessing was confusing you so that you would better understand what was being said...i was pointing out that IF HE SELLS THE PHONE TO SOMEONE THAT DOES NOT WANT A CONTRACT when he gets ready for an upgrade, he'll be able to take advantage of the initial $170 saved from the price difference of the 3GS vs. iP4 + the amount of money the 3GS is worth at that time (which i estimated to approximately $125 based on how these things drop off in value over the years)...

Meaning he will basically enjoy the 3GS for about a year, and then at that time, he'll have saved almost $200 and have a phone worth approx $125 that he can put towards the purchase (upgrade) to the newest iPhone 5 (which at the time will have the issues and bugs hopefully worked out).

If that still isnt clear for you sweetheart, i can't help you...i would suggest some therapy or something, maybe a hug.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The iP4 is a world different...and an all around better phone. That information is irrelevant to the OP's question though, because it actually makes more sense financially for him to buy the 3GS, and later upgrade to the iPhone 5.

He won't have his upgrade to the iphone 5 (more likely the 6) for quite awhile though. Meanwhile, iOS 5 will be crap on a 3GS that Apple won't care to support.

He'll profit no matter which iphone he gets right now.

Maybe he doesn't need the latest and greatest but in this world of owning a smartphone, its the monthly costs you should focus on.

I'm looking at adding one more relative to the family plan :p Their mostly Sprint users but they envy the iphone. 25+9.99 but i'll charge em 60-70.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner