Is the iphone 3gs 8gb refurb for 30 dollars a good buy

rodney0905

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I am cheap. I wont lie, but I enjoy having a smartphone. ATT is selling the 8gb refurb for 30 dollars. I want it, I know its older but plain and simple is it stupid to buy? Should I just spend more and get the updated phone or is the iphone for 30 a good deal. I have to have this for 2 years so I'm wondering if its just stupid to buy now.

rodney0905

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree. I have been using Android a lot lately. I have not used an iphone since the 1st one. At 30 dollars its a great buy. Does ATT only offer upgrades every 2 years because doesn't Apple release a new iphone almost every summer. I have to have this 2 years, thats why I was hesitant to buy it, even only for 30 bucks.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
it's by AT&T then yeah, but if it was from somewhere like e-bay or amazon I would be careful.

If only the iPhone 4 was that much. You can't even buy a used one for less then $300 bucks

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I have a 3GS (with more memory because I'm an app-lover) and I _love_ it. It's my first iPhone and I think I've had it about a year (before that I had SE phones and a Palm, and later a Touch). So far I don't even really have the inklings of iPhone 4 envy. And I am pretty intensely gadgety. I think you'll be fine! Except maybe spring for more memory...

rodney0905

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
It is coming directly from ATT. The specs were no biggie, my main concern was maybe it was not a good idea to buy an iphone 3gs when the 4 is out already but for the price, i think its really worth it. anytime you can get an iphone that cheap, I'd say its worth it.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I would say it's up to the contract. If it's two years before you can upgrade, then I would be very hesitant, if only because of future OS upgrades. It is a good price, though.

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Since your "cheap" your willing pay for data for that iPhone? If the 3GS is around $100 i would rather get that.

iPhone Tapatalk

rodney0905

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have had a smartphone for years so and the data plan is every penny worth it. I use my phone as my mp3 player, camera, gps, and internet so I do not mind paying for a data plan. But it is the 3gs on a 2 yr contract. I personally do not need the latest and greatest device. ATT sells the 3gs on their site, refurbished for 30 dollars. I know its older, thats why I was wondering if it was still a good buy.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I have had a smartphone for years so and the data plan is every penny worth it. I use my phone as my mp3 player, camera, gps, and internet so I do not mind paying for a data plan. But it is the 3gs on a 2 yr contract. I personally do not need the latest and greatest device. ATT sells the 3gs on their site, refurbished for 30 dollars. I know its older, thats why I was wondering if it was still a good buy.

Okay so here is my .002. First the iPhone 3GS is a great phone, it is what I am using now. That said I might advise you to just poney up and get an iPhone 4. The only reason that I say that is that in April when the next iPhone comes out the 3GS will be a full two generations behind as far as tech goes. You could then run into a problem with something like iOS 5 not being supported on the 3GS the way that iOS 4 was not supported on the iPhone 2G.

rodney0905

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Okay so here is my .002. First the iPhone 3GS is a great phone, it is what I am using now. That said I might advise you to just poney up and get an iPhone 4. The only reason that I say that is that in April when the next iPhone comes out the 3GS will be a full two generations behind as far as tech goes. You could then run into a problem with something like iOS 5 not being supported on the 3GS the way that iOS 4 was not supported on the iPhone 2G.

I understand this point. I am not someone who needs the latest and greatest tech. I chose ATT because of their international coverage and they have the iPhone. Does anyone know if when the iPhone 5 comes, out will it be an improvement like from the 3gs to 4 or a something like the 3g to 3gs? I have a huge problem with looking into what might come in the cell phone world because I feel like I'll always be waiting on the next great thing. Thanks for the info though.

rodney0905

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

The more I think about it, I really like your point. My question was, is it still a good purchase because its older. I do agree those who are saying it is a good buy but I really do understand this point.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I wouldn't buy a 3GS iphone especially an 8gb one. The difference between this and the iphone 4 is too great.

Find other ways to make up the 170 difference. Sell current smartphone? Go light on data or text?

Think of it as a deposit because you'll be able to sell it for the same or more later.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Refurb devices go through significant testing. One would argue that they're even better
than brand new ones. But if it's $30 and would renew your contract for 2 years, then
I wouldn't do it. Depends on what you want though.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I am cheap. I wont lie, but I enjoy having a smartphone. ATT is selling the 8gb refurb for 30 dollars. I want it, I know its older but plain and simple is it stupid to buy? Should I just spend more and get the updated phone or is the iphone for 30 a good deal. I have to have this for 2 years so I'm wondering if its just stupid to buy now.

Yea thats definitely a steal you should jump on that. I'm sure everyone in the thread has told you that already.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73