Hey folks I'm new to the board and wanted to say hi before I get this started, I just ditched Android and joined the iPhone world.

My question is this. I just bought an iPhone 3gs from AT&T because the price of
    $99 was a good deal and I was afraid of getting the iPhone 4 because of all the issues I have heard about as opposed to the minimal issues on the 3gs.

I am thinking about changing to the iPhone 4 since I have a few days to exchange the phone. But I want to know what you guys would do if you were me. Are the pros of the 4 better then the cons? How true are all the discussions of the issues?

Thanks guys.
    11-30-2010 11:43 AM
    DO IT. seriously. It's foolish to take the 3GS over iPhone 4.

I live in a very poor reception area so the antenna issue effects me at home, but it's very tolerable. It shouldn't be a problem if you don't already have bad reception.

Not to mention retina display, FaceTime, and better speed and battery life...
    dlupien likes this.
    11-30-2010 12:00 PM
    After having retina display, I don't think I could go back to a 3GS. It's gorgeous.
    dlupien likes this.
    11-30-2010 12:02 PM
    That is so true. It's hard to view such a blurry 3GS or previous generation.
    dlupien likes this.
    11-30-2010 12:09 PM
    I would switch to the iP4 while you can. You won't regret it.
    dlupien likes this.
    11-30-2010 12:12 PM
    Go ahead and upgrade while you can. The iphone4 is an amazing device and I haven't had a single issue with it. You won't regret it.
    dlupien likes this.
    11-30-2010 01:17 PM
    Thank you very much guys, I am going to make the switch while I still can, ATT store I called this morning said it wont be a a problem at all, but I will have to pay 10 restocking fee. But not a big deal. Ill let you guys know if I like it !
    11-30-2010 02:48 PM
    If you are ever presented with a choice to choose the latest or the 2nd latest, always pick the latest. Especially if you're talking about a 2 year contract in between your next phone. This way, by taking the latest, you're more likely to get any updates pushed out, and less likely to be dropped off the support this. Example being the 2G, and what will soon be happening to the 3G iPhones. It's apparent the 3G will soon be unsupported because every update it's usually missing something from it.
    dlupien likes this.
    11-30-2010 03:24 PM
    Thank you very much guys, I am going to make the switch while I still can, ATT store I called this morning said it wont be a a problem at all, but I will have to pay 10 restocking fee. But not a big deal. Ill let you guys know if I like it !
    Good call...you won't regret it. The iPhone 4 is the pimp!
    dlupien likes this.
    11-30-2010 04:11 PM
    Good call...you won't regret it. The iPhone 4 is the pimp!
    Unless you have low reception in your area naturally and your signal fades when touching the "spot", or you have proximity sensor issues, or the glass cracks because you have a bad slide on case, or SkyNet has taken over.
    dlupien likes this.
    11-30-2010 05:39 PM
    Get the iphone 4 its so much better. I could never go back to my 3gs.
    dlupien likes this.
    11-30-2010 06:37 PM
    Unless you have low reception in your area naturally and your signal fades when touching the "spot", or you have proximity sensor issues, or the glass cracks because you have a bad slide on case, or SkyNet has taken over.
    You done goofed.
    dlupien likes this.
    11-30-2010 10:01 PM
    Upgrade right away!! You will love it! I had the iPhone 3G before my IPhone 4 and I love my iPhone 4! I wouldn't trade it for anything! I got mine back in July, and I looked at my 3G the other day and i couldn't believe how blurry it looked and how much slower it was! You won't regret it!
    dlupien likes this.
    12-01-2010 02:52 AM
    Once used the new Retina Display you will never use a smartphone/iphone without retina anymore forever..., believe me
    dlupien likes this.
    12-01-2010 02:54 AM
    I made the switch today and the nice folks at the ATT store even gave me a free case, and I only paid 90 bucks to make the change ... I paid 99 for my 3gs and then 90 more so I got the iphone 4 for 189 woohoo ten bucks off. The retina display is amazing compared to my 3gs. Thanks for all the help guys!
    12-05-2010 06:19 PM
    have fun just make sure you hold it right I went from a 3G to my iPhone 4 and wow it is amazing!
    12-05-2010 07:18 PM
    The big problem with getting a 3GS is that in 2 years, it will not by fully supported, or even not supported. Think about the original iPhone, it is 3 years old, and not supported by 4.x Get an iPhone 4, I LOVE mine!
    12-05-2010 10:35 PM
    iPhone 4. No questions asked. Retina display? Absolutely! iPhone 5 is right around the corner already. 3GS will be obsolete soon.
    12-07-2010 04:08 PM
    Why on earth you'd still want a 3Gs is beyond me.
    12-07-2010 08:08 PM
    Why on earth you'd still want a 3Gs is beyond me.
    Well to try to clarify for you, the price is lower, and the flaws that were reported with iPhone 4 (antenna, glass) were a major part of why I and many others decided to get the 3gs in the first place..I made the switch to the iPhone 4 for the simple fact that I want to have software and hardware support for the next few years.
    I love my iPhone 4 , and love the retina display but for some people the few add-ons of the iPhone 4 are simply not worth the money.

Both devices are great, and judging by the prices a 3gs (and 3g for that matter) still fetch on eBay.. I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Thanks to everyone else who posted and responded above and helped me make my decision, I love the iPhone 4.
    12-07-2010 08:42 PM
    I made the switch today and the nice folks at the ATT store even gave me a free case, and I only paid 90 bucks to make the change ... I paid 99 for my 3gs and then 90 more so I got the iphone 4 for 189 woohoo ten bucks off. The retina display is amazing compared to my 3gs. Thanks for all the help guys!
    Glad you have switched, yup, as said the iPhone 4 is gorgeous, retina display, facetime, battery life...just enjoy yourself with the cool handset.
    For iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, I think you could turn to some list of the difference between iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, such as "The differences between iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS" in iFunia iPhone column list what are the differences between the iPhone 4 & iPhone 3GS to make you more clear about the iPhone 4's Pros
    12-07-2010 08:45 PM
    After having retina display, I don't think I could go back to a 3GS. It's gorgeous.
    Agreed. My wife has the 4 and I'm on a 3GS. BIG difference in the screen quality, IMO. And the pics/video quality upgrade is very nice, too. Quite jealous of the HDR capability on her phone
    12-23-2010 04:37 PM
    I received my iPhone 4 just this past week and I was upgrading from a 3G. I love everything about the phone and it's a major upgrade from the 3G except in one big thing. I really dislike the design of the body of the phone. It's doesn't feel strong compared to the 3G. I never had a case for my old phone but I'll be getting one for my 4.
    12-23-2010 06:11 PM
    go for iPhone4 as it has so many things over 3gs. you will regret not to!!
    06-16-2011 02:33 AM
    Hey folks I'm new to the board and wanted to say hi before I get this started, I just ditched Android and joined the iPhone world.

My question is this. I just bought an iPhone 3gs from AT&T because the price of
    $99 was a good deal and I was afraid of getting the iPhone 4 because of all the issues I have heard about as opposed to the minimal issues on the 3gs.

I am thinking about changing to the iPhone 4 since I have a few days to exchange the phone. But I want to know what you guys would do if you were me. Are the pros of the 4 better then the cons? How true are all the discussions of the issues?

Thanks guys.
    To preface, i had an iPhone 4 and switched to a 3GS and then back to an iPhone 4.

Here are the things that i found completely worth having the iPhone 4 for...

- Camera (it is SUBSTANTIALLY better)
    - Retina Display (again, SUBSTANTIALLY better)
    - Hotspot internet sharing

...those 3 things are what i found to be worth while...everything else, at least in my experience, were almost neutral between the two phones...the 3GS seemed to have like data speeds, calling quality, tethering speed (the 3GS was actually a hair faster in this sense, but requires a tethered connection), the speed of the phone itself as far as using apps and stuff was also very similar, with the iPhone 4 only showing to edge out the 3GS when you're running ALOT of apps with heavy load, and even there, it was still negligible.

All that said, the iPhone 4 is certainly worth it over the 3GS if you plan to keep the phone for any length of time, because i can see now, after iOS 5 is released, you're going to start seeing the 3GS become less and less efficient with the new updates, just like with the old 3G's when iOS 4 came out.
    06-16-2011 08:23 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD