So my laptop was stolen, which contained the iTunes library that my 3GS was synced up to. I bought a new computer and need to sync my phone to a new library but don't want to lose the songs, photos and videos I currently have on it. Is there a way to transfer the data on my phone onto the computer?
    08-20-2010 05:12 PM
    its a one way sync cant get it back to the computer I dont think unless there is a third party app that will do it
    08-20-2010 08:07 PM
    Are you using a PC or a Mac?

PC: iPhone Transfer: Transfer iPhone to PC, PC to iPhone 3G/iPhone 4

Mac: Mac iPhone Transfer, iPhone Backup software: Copy iPhone to computer, iTunes

The only thing that it doesn't sync to your computer is Apps. You would just have to take note of what Apps are on your phone and re-download them in the iTunes store on iTunes.
    08-20-2010 08:09 PM
    Thanks a lot killthelights32. I was looking for this as well.
    08-21-2010 06:12 AM
    No prob; I've had to use this method a few times in my pre-backup days. :P
    08-21-2010 10:08 AM

Mac: Mac iPhone Transfer, iPhone Backup software: Copy iPhone to computer, iTunes

The only thing that it doesn't sync to your computer is Apps. You would just have to take note of what Apps are on your phone and re-download them in the iTunes store on iTunes.

Cool, thanks. I'll try this.

I was also thinking that transferring files via Bluetooth would have been an option, but after doing some research, it looks like Apple doesn't want you to have the ability to do that, for some reason. I find that baffling, not to mention annoying, as all other phones seem to have that capability.
    08-22-2010 04:24 PM
    It always goes to why we should all have a backup of our data. Rather your computer is stolen or your hard drive crashes, don't be caught with your pants down.

Copy Trans on Windows works very well to totally download all your videos, pictures, music, podcast. It won't download apps at least that I have checked recently as I am now using a Mac.

Once you actually get it all downloaded to the hard drive, it will create folders. Just drag these babies in iTunes and login to your account and iTunes will once again recognized them as purchased content.
    08-22-2010 04:47 PM
    No prob; I've had to use this method a few times in my pre-backup days. :P
    Did you have any problems with this program using a mac? When I connect my iPhone it doesn't recognize all the files (says I have 0 photos, which isn't the case.) Also, it only allows me to transfer 100 files at a time, then only individual files afterwards. :s
    08-22-2010 06:04 PM

No, you can transfer your apps. All you do is transfer purchases on iTunes and all your music and apps download from your phone to your computer. I did this with my 3G. Then I picked which apps I wanted to migrate to my I4. You shouldnt have to take any notes.
    08-22-2010 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD