How can I activate iphone 3GS 32GB without sim?

touch820

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I just received an iphone 3GS 32GB from my sister as a gift. She bought it from ebay second week of June. The iphone is not yet activated. How can I activate it without sim card. I'm in Saudi Arabia, no AT&T. Tried to do it with backra1n to no avail. How can I determine the firmware and baseband?

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
does this happen with just the 3GS, or do I need a SIM to activate a 3G as well?

Reason I ask is because I restored my 3G, and when it got to the point where it said "waiting for activation", I was able to get to the Settings app and set the phone to Airplane mode, making it ignore Activation.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
hmm, well I guess before the activation phase, as long as you dump it into Airplane mode, you can use the phone as an iPod Touch with GPS capabilities. I was able to do it with my dads still unactivated iPhone 4. If I take it out of Airplane Mode, it sits there waiting for activation.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
It needs to have a SIM. Case closed. It's like asking how do I backup my hard drive to an external drive without using an external drive.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It needs to have a SIM. Case closed. It's like asking how do I backup my hard drive to an external drive without using an external drive.

to use it as a cell phone: it needs a SIM to be activated

to use it as a glorified iPod Touch w/ Camera+GPS: Once you get a home screen, turn on Airplane Mode to stop it from nagging you about activating. You have no cell data, Phone and Messages apps don't work, but you do get GPS, Wifi, and about everything else the device has.

angelz9

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
buy a sim from on ebayfor $3.00 - $4.00 and activate..that is what i did .. it doesn't have to be new ..US AT&T

Last edited:

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The op asked how to "activate"

yes, he asked how to activate. "Activate" and "usable device" are different things as well, just wanted to be clear on that. An unactivated iPhone is still a great device on it's own without any connection to the cell network.

If all else fails and he is unable to activate the phone for use as a phone, it can still be used irregardless.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Usable device is another subject best suited for another thread. But thanks for the info as I wanted
To do this with my 1st gen iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711