I've been comparing the two models with the iOS4 update and the only difference I've been able to find is Facetime...
    Does anyone else know of any major differences?
    06-21-2010 02:41 AM
    and I hear Facetime is only good if the other person you are speaking with has the iphone 4 also
    06-21-2010 02:50 AM
    Really? I didn't know that...
    I thought any phone with a front facing camera and some application for social uses would work.
    06-21-2010 02:51 AM
    iphone 4 has the Flashfor pictures
    06-21-2010 02:51 AM
    Oh yea the LED flash, I guess it has the 5mp camera as well.
    But is that really worth upgrading from an iPhone 3GS?
    06-21-2010 02:53 AM
    For me, the major reasons I'm upgrading are the "Retina Display" and steel frame. I read and watch videos a lot on the go, so the display is huge for me. Also, I'm hoping that the new design leads to better reception for calling. I haven't had too big of a problem with dropped calls, but when it happens it's very annoying.
    06-21-2010 03:05 AM
    If you're getting into the hardward specs (instead of just software) I'd say there's a HUGE difference.
    Every thing's redesigned, inside and out (no, I'm not talking about completely different parts than the 3Gs, albeit there are lots, just new design layouts).

- New A4 processor (hopefully at 1Ghz)
    - 512mb of ram (supposedly)
    - 960x640 display
    - 5mp back camera with flash
    - Front VGA camera with FaceTime
    - Larger battery
    - Superior Glass (front and back)
    - 720p video recording, with trimming...and the $5 iMovie app in which you can create and edit videos with transitions, titles, etc...

The list goes on and on.
    I think it's a substantial upgrade to any of the previous iPhones.

I'm also very curious to see how improved the cellular/wifi/gps...etc is with the antennas now being on the outside. I guess we'll find out Thursday.
    06-21-2010 03:08 AM
    After reading all of those improvements it does sound very enticing, however talking specifically about the software changes (i.e. the OS) are there a lot of major changes?

Also, and this is slightly off topic, why is it that Apple doesn't release detailed information on the new processor?
    06-21-2010 03:13 AM
    Apple is just being secretive like always! There are some that say the processor is clocked down below 1GB, but I don't believe that. It was confirmed that it does have 512MB of RAM.

I think software and hardware wise the iPhone 4 is worth getting! I already have a 3GS, but I will be giving that to my Son. He currently has a 3G, so that will be a nice upgrade for him and he'll get the multi-tasking!

OTACORB
    06-21-2010 03:17 AM
    Also, and this is slightly off topic, why is it that Apple doesn't release detailed information on the new processor?
    Apple isn't a spec 'show off' kind of company.
    Since they build all of their products, both hardware and software, they're optimized to work really really well. You see a lot of Android phones that don't work as smoothly, because all of these different manufactures are taking the software, and "optimizing" it to their hardware. It never works as well as designing the software and hardware to work flawlessly together.

There's a possibility that the new A4 chip is under clocked to improve the battery, and also they might not have seen it necessary to have it fully clocked because there wasn't a big speed difference.

Now, if they said that they under clocked it, A lot of people would start complaining on how "this phone has a 1ghz processor, why is the iPhone so far behind?!".

Apple knows that their product will still run smoother and faster than any of those phones. So why bother with the spec game?
    Last edited by Ivoryplum; 06-21-2010 at 03:21 AM.
    06-21-2010 03:18 AM
    It's not all about the speed. So even if the A4 is clocked down below to even 600MHz (Same as the 3GS) it would probably run faster due to the cache being larger and faster. Whilst we know it won't run at 600MHz and it could even run between 800MHz and 1GHz because iMovie is only for iPhone 4

Besides this is very Apple. They are now having a bigger say in the hardware for the device and so can tweak the software to run even smoother.

512MB of RAM is confirmed as it was shown in a WWDC Video. This will be a massive boost as I feel that the 3GS is very good at handling multitasking. It can get a bit slow so the 512MB RAM will keep the phone running very smoothly.

Facetime will only work with those that also have an iPhone 4 and will also work on Wifi to begin with. However being an open standard we could see it being used with more devices over time. Gizmodo made a very good point in Microsoft sucking up their pride and including Facetime with Kinect.

How well Facetime will succeed is all dependant on how well it is adopted, but a ~$250 billion company will definately push it through. But I think it being an Open Standard is a counter to the idea that Apple is very closed but I doubt this will change anything.
    06-21-2010 05:09 AM
    cant wait to get one
    06-21-2010 05:16 AM
    The new form factor is a major draw for me. I expect it to be less slippery to hold than the 3Gs. The flat back and sides should make a difference. Also the seperate volume buttons are certain to be easier to use.
    06-21-2010 07:10 AM
    Any concern for excess radiation with that antenna being run along the outside rim of the phone?

And what's the reason for a glass back? Isn't glass more suseptable to breaking?
    06-21-2010 07:16 AM
    I had the same thoughts, but than I read more into the display, and other improvements...looks like I'll be waking up really early to wait to see if I can get 2 (one for me and one for the wife).
    06-21-2010 10:18 AM
    and I hear Facetime is only good if the other person you are speaking with has the iphone 4 also
    For now. But FaceTime is an open standard, which means it's only a matter of time until manufacturers start implementing it in their own phones.
    06-21-2010 10:22 AM
    The new form factor is a major draw for me. I expect it to be less slippery to hold than the 3Gs. The flat back and sides should make a difference. Also the seperate volume buttons are certain to be easier to use.
    Really?
    I felt that the design of the 3GS/3G was much sleeker.
    But I prefer more rounded smooth contours in general.
    I do like however, the thinness of the new iPhone.
    06-21-2010 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD