I've seen the fuel cases, that add a case with an external battery built in. I have a Otterbox Defender series case, and don't want to give it up to get this extended battery option.

Is there any companies out there that offer a service to replace the internal battery with a larger one?
    03-10-2010 05:34 PM
    There's no space for a larger one.
    03-11-2010 08:43 AM
    If a larger rear shell was made there would be room for a larger battery. Of course, the overall size of the phone would have to grow. I would be OK with that.

That would open a whole new area for customization - different colors, different textures, etc.

My guess is this has not caught on because it would obviously void the warranty and would be an expensive mod. But if done properly, it could lend itself to user replaceable batteries.
    03-11-2010 09:46 AM
    If a larger rear shell was made there would be room for a larger battery. Of course, the overall size of the phone would have to grow. I would be OK with that.
    there's more than just air between the battery and case.

look at step 6
    Rapid Repair - iPhone 3G Take-Apart-Guide Repair by RapidRepair

you're basically suggesting someone should re-engineer the device. the entire motherboard is between the back case and the battery
    Last edited by flyingember; 03-11-2010 at 01:08 PM.
    03-11-2010 01:06 PM
    there's more than just air between the battery and case.

look at step 6
    Rapid Repair - iPhone 3G Take-Apart-Guide Repair by RapidRepair

you're basically suggesting someone should re-engineer the device. the entire motherboard is between the back case and the battery
    Hmmm . . . I think you're right. But hey, a kid can dream, right?
    03-11-2010 01:33 PM
    I bigger battery would be so much better
    03-11-2010 07:50 PM
    Thanks everyone for the replies - good to know that my only options are the fuel packs or external batteries
    03-11-2010 11:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD