Hi all, was wondering if someone could please help.

I have owned an iPhone 3GS for the past 9 months and have never had any problems with it. It is not jailbroken, it has no issues and has ran very reliably thus far.

I run my iPhone in a pretty conservative way for the battery. My brightness is turned down, I leave 3G and wireless off when I am not using them, I don't actually have that many apps and I don't do any heavy browsing etc. I can usually get a good couple of days out of the phone before having to charge, unless I use it more intensely - nothing unusual there.

However, in the last few days, I have noticed that the battery of my iPhone has started to decrease VERY rapidly - a lot quicker than usual. I have not made any changes to my phone in the last few days that I can think would effect this.

Now, my iPhone can be left on standby for an hour and go from fully charged to 50% without me even touching it - this has never happened before. I am pretty clued up about treating my phone and I do charge it pretty much every night. Every month or so I run the battery all the way down. I take good care of it. And now suddenly I find myself in a position where the battery indicator can go from fully charged to less than half in just over an hour, for no apparent reason.

I did the software update on iTunes a few days ago, so my only suggestion would be that it is related to that, as it seems to correspond time-wise. I am just really mystified as to why my iPhone is now suddenly very dramatically losing battery despite me not touching the thing, when it never has before. It is becoming a real issue for me and I thought I would ask advice here (or see if anyone is experiencing the same trouble?) before I take it to Apple (that would be a last resort as I'm sure they'd have to send it off).

I would really appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Thank you,

Liam
    02-05-2010 09:12 PM
    do you have the phone set to auto lock after X minutes?

how is your cellular signal?
    02-05-2010 09:17 PM
    I am also interested to see any helpful replies to this post. A friend of mine uses his phone in a similar way and has started having the very same problems recently.
    02-06-2010 09:11 AM
    Yeah, my phone is set to lock after 15 minutes.

My signal is consistently good - nothing has changed there.
    02-06-2010 09:27 AM
    I had this happen and it was the battery - it just went bad. Apple replaced it.
    02-06-2010 09:41 AM
    Mine just started doing the same thing this week as well. I have the 3g though and have had it for a year now.
    02-06-2010 12:00 PM
    Alli, thanks for the response, can I ask what procedure you went through for that? Did Apple have to send it off and give you a replacement phone for a short while, or did they replace your battery there and then in the shop? I ask because I could really do without being iPhoneless for any amount of time.
    02-06-2010 12:26 PM
    There are many way about going about getting a replacement or repair. The simplest way is to go into the closest apple store and let them have a looksy
    02-06-2010 12:44 PM
    This post said all the things that I would like to know. I would really be helpful if someone provides the correct information. Thanks in advance.
    02-06-2010 01:42 PM
    All issues are handled independently, so as the Giraffe said - make an appointment at your nearest Apple store, and go in so they can have a look. I'm two hours from the nearest Apple store, so they were very kind and just replaced mine, but the "genius" did point out they don't always do anything for battery issues.
    02-06-2010 04:33 PM
    This post said all the things that I would like to know. I would really be helpful if someone provides the correct information. Thanks in advance.
    There is no one answer. That's part of the confusion.
    02-07-2010 12:57 PM
    Thanks for the responses.

However, just as I was preparing myself to make the appointment with Apple... my problems seems to have stopped completely.

Battery life is now holding out nicely, as it did before, with none of the drastic decreases that I was experiencing.

Still completely baffled as I had not changed any part of my usage at any point, but I'm not complaining if it's going back to how it was before in terms of battery life.

Odd!
    02-10-2010 08:20 AM
    That's strange but certainly a good thing. Hopefully it will keep holding steady for you.
    02-10-2010 08:30 AM
    i experienced the exact same thing after i updated to 3.1.3. Seems the issue with my iphone lay with MobileMe more than anything else. In trying to isolate the problem i turned MobileMe off completely for a while and it sorted the problem out. The only way I could get it sorted at the time was simply to downgrade 3.1.2 again.

Strangely enough, when I was on 3.1.3 I was also having the problem a lot of people are reporting with contacts not syncing, doesn't seem to a problem back on 3.1.2 for me anymore.
    02-11-2010 05:32 PM
    This has started happening to me again - it's so odd. Since my last post, everything has been fine, my iPhone has been performing really well. Then all of a sudden, since a couple of days ago, the battery is utter crap again. It's going from 100% down to 60% or so in an hour, without me even touching it! Has anyone else experienced this?
    03-26-2010 01:44 PM
    I had this happen yesterday when there was a service issue. I didn't even notice there was a service problem until my girlfriend complained she couldn't send a picture to me and I tried to text her back and it failed. I called AT&T and they said there was a problem in my area and they were actively working to fix it.

You can try a hard reboot, press and hold the power and home buttons until the phone restarts, release when the apple logo appears.
    03-26-2010 01:51 PM
    I had this happen yesterday when there was a service issue. I didn't even notice there was a service problem until my girlfriend complained she couldn't send a picture to me and I tried to text her back and it failed. I called AT&T and they said there was a problem in my area and they were actively working to fix it.

You can try a hard reboot, press and hold the power and home buttons until the phone restarts, release when the apple logo appears.
    Thanks, I will try the reboot. Is your problem with the signal though? Because mine is with battery, not signal.
    03-26-2010 02:09 PM
    I think what big9erfan was eluding to was that if there is a signal issue, the phone uses more power to try and find a signal, thus greatly affecting your battery life. Same thing happened on the BlackBerry if I was out of 3G range and yet it was still trying to find a 3G signal.
    03-26-2010 02:48 PM
    I think what big9erfan was eluding to was that if there is a signal issue, the phone uses more power to try and find a signal, thus greatly affecting your battery life. Same thing happened on the BlackBerry if I was out of 3G range and yet it was still trying to find a 3G signal.
    Exactly. I guess I didn't word it well enough to get the point across.
    03-26-2010 02:53 PM
    If the battery is found to be the culprit; they'll most likely will just give you a new iPhone on the spot.

This happened to me. My phone couldn't hold a charge longer than a few hours, and I was still under warranty luckily. I made an appointment, I think the Apple site offers an online outlet to make it, I'm not 100% sure.

But if you have heard about Apple's great warranty services, you shouldn't fret. They reallllly go out and beyond to satisfy you.
    03-26-2010 03:02 PM
    Thanks, I will try the reboot. Is your problem with the signal though? Because mine is with battery, not signal.
    Let me know if that reboot does the trick. I was out of state visiting friends Superbowl weekend and put the phone charging when I went to bed as I usually do, and the next morning my battery was just about dead. I made sure the connection to the charging cable was solid, which it was, and it had the charging symbol on the screen, but continued draining until it went dead.

At that point I could not turn it on, and even though plugging it in showed a dim version of the charging symbol, it never gave me enough power to turn it on, even plugged in to the wall. At this point I ran over to the local Apple store in the mall and right away, the Genius Bar guy said he knew what it was. He stated that its not that uncommon, that sometimes an app, especially the GPS (maps) program continues running in the background even after you close out the program. Now we both immediately laughed at the very words "app running in the background". I was like "are you telling me you can't give us multitasking, but your phone will screw us WITH backgrounding??". He appreciated the humor.

Either way, he asked if it would be ok if he reset my phone on his machine, and warned that I'd lose everything until I could get home from the trip to sync up. Having the phone working to receive calls was more important than my stuff right then, and I couldn't get enough power to even turn it on, so I let him. The phone came right up and we left if charging for about 10 mins to give me enough power to get back to the hotel while we talked about the upcoming game. That was it.

Only one other time I've noticed the same thing of the battery starting rapidly losing the charge, again after using the GPS, so I immediately shut off the phone and restarted it to kill anything still running, and that solved the problem immediately. So that may or may not be the problem, but I figured the story couldn't hurt and may even help someone else. Take care.
    03-30-2010 02:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD