I know that this has been posted before on here..just got my iphone..while I am impressed with the phone.. the battery sucks.. I dont think I can get more than an 8 hour work day off of it..and that is just normal usage..
    I dont know where apple gets their stats...the battery is very poor.
    I even turned off bluetooth, wifi etc..

read in pc world that apple is looking into the problem..with the new 3.01 version...suppose that wont go anywhere>?? is it worth calling apple? new phone??

andrew
    11-17-2009 08:03 PM
    I would suggest more tweaking before replacement.
    so is Apple saying that it can be corrected by software not hardware?
    Last edited by BLiNK; 11-17-2009 at 08:09 PM.
    11-17-2009 08:07 PM
    Hmmm I was pretty impressed with mine. Actually I left it with the screen on all night after lots of usage and it was still 16% in the morning.
    11-17-2009 08:30 PM
    What phone did you have before the iPhone? You will need to charge it every day.
    11-17-2009 08:36 PM
    Remedy: get an extra charger & throw it in your backpack, laptop bag, and take it w/you to & from work. Plug your iPhone into your 'puter or the wall if you get anxious about running outta juice before you get home. I use the hell outta my phone during the day (email, SMS, Facebook, games, news & weather, Internet, yada yada) and get home w/30% or so remaining.

I read an interesting article about someone's first week w/the Droid, and they make a sage point: if you're coming from a "regular" cell phone or semi-featured phone to a device like the iPhone, HTC Hero, Droid, etc. you may be surprised at how quick your battery goes. But remember: this ain't your daddy's cell phone, this is really a mobile computing device. Even while apparently dormant your phone may be checking for email, updating social network app's, etc. all of which use battery life.

The battery life is the only facet of the iPhone that doesn't make me grin ear to ear, but IMO it's a small price to pay (carrying an extra charger) for such a great device.
    11-18-2009 10:27 AM
    If you think your 3GS has poor battery life, play with the G1 for a week. You'll be lucky to get 5 hours outta that thing from light-moderate use and think the 3GS battery is heaven-sent.

Some things you might want to try to conserve battery:

-Dim your screen if you don't need a super-bright screen to read.
    -Check for email less often. The more often your iPhone checks for mail, the mroe battery it uses. Data actually can use quite a bit of battery.
    -While you're at it, have anything that pushes for data, check less often or do it manually.

Granted I'm on a 3G, but I get pretty good battery life. This is what I do from 6:45-2:10 (when I leave home and get back):

-Listen to music on my 1 hour bus ride (2 hours total) to and from school
    -Txt
    -Search once or twice an hour for something online
    -Check Tweet Deck
    -Auto-check e-mail every 15 minutes

I also dim my screen to 0% and dim my background in Winterboard.

I normally make it back home with 20-40%. Even when I don't go straight home, my iPhone never dies on me before 4 without a charge. I do slow down use once it gets into the red if I'm not near an outlet. I find the iPhone can last a good little minute once it goes into the red without turning radio off (like my BB Curve did).

Just my experience.
    11-18-2009 11:05 AM
    Some great advice..So I assume it is not a defective battery and needs to be returned? I was going to call customer support at apple...i have only had the phone for 1 week..

I hardly browse...some limited text and email and update calendar and phone and i am down to 15% by the evening..not good..

after all a phone is meant to be mobile ..right?? but yes..realize that it is a mini computer..
    i had read that apple was looking into the problem..
    andrew
    11-18-2009 09:45 PM
    You mentioned 3.01, so I'm going to assume you may not be on the latest and greatest firmware. Lets first make sure you're running 3.1.2:
    - Go to Settings -> General -> About

You should see the "Version", and it will hopefully say 3.1.2.

Once you're there, there are some great battery life comments around, I suggest looking here: http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphon...tery-tips.html
    11-18-2009 10:16 PM
    I'm on a 3Gs and I'm lucky if it survives 6 hours. I'm a heavy user and it sucks having to turn the phone off at mid day to make sure it's alive when I get out of class
    11-24-2009 10:12 AM
    I'm on a 3G and i have to say i've been pretty pleased with my battery life.
    of course i know if i'm into heavy usage then i will need to charge at least once during the day before i get home from work.
    but... that's the advantage of working in a office most of the day.
    it will be very disappointing if the battery issues are not corrected with the "new" iphone.
    11-24-2009 10:24 AM

Granted I'm on a 3G, but I get pretty good battery life. This is what I do from 6:45-2:10 (when I leave home and get back):

-Listen to music on my 1 hour bus ride (2 hours total) to and from school
    -Txt
    -Search once or twice an hour for something online
    -Check Tweet Deck
    -Auto-check e-mail every 15 minutes

I also dim my screen to 0% and dim my background in Winterboard.

I normally make it back home with 20-40%. Even when I don't go straight home, my iPhone never dies on me before 4 without a charge. I do slow down use once it gets into the red if I'm not near an outlet. I find the iPhone can last a good little minute once it goes into the red without turning radio off (like my BB Curve did).

Just my experience.
    I'm wondering could 3G network be sucking that much juice? I'm on a 3G and in contrast here's my usual routine which is quite similar to above. I put my phone to charge when I go to sleep at night, get up and leave my house at 6:40AM

Listen to music on the way to work (1 hour trip x2) to work, back home
    Check email constantly throughout the day 8-12 times until 4PM
    Check and occasionally update via tweetdeck
    Check App Store, Cydia or read forums via browser atleast twice a day
    text 5-8 times a day
    talk on the phone 2 hours a day gauranteed to GF(lunch hour)

I get home around 6PM with high 60s - 70% every day and it doesn't go much lower until midnight - 1AM when I put it to charge again. I don't have a data plan because 90% of my day I have Wifi so my 3G is always off can it really make that much of a difference? I'm putting my phone to charge with 60% at the lowest compared to I normally make it back home with 20-40%

I was just shocked at such a big difference.
    11-24-2009 11:40 AM
    My battery averages 5-9 hours. The lower being regular usage.....phone, internet on 3G and games....the higher if I listen to music too. I don't have any issues with it really.
    11-25-2009 12:47 AM
    11-25-2009 08:31 AM
    I like that Kensington Charger.
    11-25-2009 08:58 AM
    It all depends how much I use the phone somedays I only get 4 hours out of it if I am talking on it all day and sending emails . Check your screen brightness , put it a few click below where you realy need it . Then if you need it brighter just click it up as needed .
    11-25-2009 10:40 AM
    I was kinda shocked too when I first got my 3gs. The battery died within 8 hours of light usage. Everyone here offers good tips. What I also found was that if I knew that I wasn't going to browse the Internet on the phone, I would just turn 3G off, and keep the phone on EDGE. That seemed to help prolong the battery life, as there's simply more EDGE service than 3G, and so the phone works less hard to find an EDGE signal, and hence, more battery life. Of course, when your using the phone, EDGE also uses less battery than 3G too.
    11-25-2009 11:14 AM
    talk on the phone 2 hours a day gauranteed to GF(lunch hour)
    2 hour lunch-hour?!?! i need that job

LOLZ
    11-25-2009 11:51 AM
    I'm a really heavy user and I have problems getting more than 4 hours out of it, I got one of those solar powered chargers and it works well enough to keep my battery alive for the day.
    11-25-2009 12:55 PM
    2 hour lunch-hour?!?! i need that job

LOLZ
    LOL I can let you know when I retire
    11-25-2009 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD