Plastic back on iPhone 3GS

m3lover1

Trusted Member
Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys. I have a black iPhone 3GS. The plastic back casing of my iPhone seems to be full of fingerprint swirls, even after I wipe it down with my cleaning cloth from my old 3G. Are any of my fellow 3GS'ers iPhones like that?or am I overreacting due to the fact I used to have a white 3G before?

Thanks

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Can't help ya with that one. Mine has been in it's case since the day the phone arrived. Hope your able to get it clean again

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Like Chobbs1 I have had my phone in a case from the moment my phone was purchased. Otherwise the fingerprints on the back of my black 3GS would probably drive me crazy.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Yeah it's like that for me too. Black sucks. I had a white 3G too. There weren't any white ones at the store where I bought mine, so I had to get the black one. Ugh.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Funny thing is, mine has also always been in a case. But I took it out to clean because I noticed dust on and near the camera. There were lines left by the rubber strips on the back of my iPhone (incase case) so I wiped them off. Those came off but it seems like there is a neverending fingerprint smudges. Weird although I guess as a consolation I do keep it in a case all the time so I won't see the back anyways

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Funny thing is, mine has also always been in a case. But I took it out to clean because I noticed dust on and near the camera. There were lines left by the rubber strips on the back of my iPhone (incase case) so I wiped them off. Those came off but it seems like there is a neverending fingerprint smudges. Weird although I guess as a consolation I do keep it in a case all the time so I won't see the back anyways

Not to change this into a case debate but avoid hard cases unless you want your phone all marked up. Because it will happen.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Yup my sister had her 3G for a year and kept it in a shell that covered the back constantly every day and then when she took it off there were dozens of huge, deep scratches on the back because of tiny dirt and dust trapped between the case and the phone.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
So far. My leather case has done a stellar job at protecting my phone and not causing scratches. Btw I think the black plastic looks awesome in my black case, thank you!

70gsrick

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I've had the black 3G and had to clean it all the time the fingerprints sucked. I had it in a case from day one but the hard case did scratch up the back. I used an anti-glare screen protector and they do show less fingerprints. I always carry an automotive micro-fiber cloth to clean it and that works great. I bought a white 3Gs and had ghost armor installed at the mall. No worries now. it stays clean all the time.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I always liked the white look better than the black because all I ever saw around me were the black iPhones.. Rarely did someone have the white..

ryrycalguy

Jul 14, 2008
twitter.com
Not to change this into a case debate but avoid hard cases unless you want your phone all marked up. Because it will happen.

I've had the opposite experience. I think hard cases are great because they stay put. With skins, if you get even the smallest grain of sand or something in between the skin and the iphone backing, it will scratch the heck out of the plastic backing because that grain of sand will not fall out. Instead, since most skins are rubbery and flexible, that darn sucker will stay in there and just rub against the iphone plastic backing while in your pocket or something. You won't discover that scratched up area until you take it off to clean your iphone.

Last edited:

ryrycalguy

Jul 14, 2008
twitter.com
Oh and the black doesn't look half as good in cases as the white does.. Black really sucks a lot!! :(

I guess since mine has been in a case the whole time, I've never had the fingerprint issue. Anyway, I do like the white a lot. However, the only thing that bugged me (yes, I'm weird) is that the white backing didn't match the black face-front. I knew if I got the white, that would bug the heck out of me. lol!

bonnievy

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
I guess since mine has been in a case the whole time, I've never had the fingerprint issue. Anyway, I do like the white a lot. However, the only thing that bugged me (yes, I'm weird) is that the white backing didn't match the black face-front. I knew if I got the white, that would bug the heck out of me. lol!

Haha! If you're weird, I'm weird as well because I totally agree about how annoying it is that the white back doesn't match the black front although I love the look of the white from behind.

I had a black 3G and now a black 3GS, in leather case and it looks fantastic !!

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't really have this problem because I use Clear-Coat. It still gets fingerprints,but they wipe off much easier. I use to use cases on my 3G,but got tired of all the bulk.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Clear-Coat looks like a good product. Is anyone else here using it? I might use it just for the back protection. My screen holds up well. I never liked the way other screen protectors impacted the brightness and feel of the screens on my Palms.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Clear-Coat looks like a good product. Is anyone else here using it? I might use it just for the back protection. My screen holds up well. I never liked the way other screen protectors impacted the brightness and feel of the screens on my Palms.

I only use it on the back too. I really like it,you should give it a shot. Just make sure you have at least an hour for the application. It takes a while to get the sides to stay down.

mo98

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
How do I find a Clear-Coat Mall kiosk near me? Their website only finds actual retail locations, and they only show 1 in the whole state of Texas.