Was looking over Apple's VoiceOver description here (apple.com/iphone/iphone-3g-s/accessibility.html) and was thinking of something that could be incredibly cool. Since the Iphone can understand what you're saying to find contacts/songs, wouldn't it be amazing to extend that capability into a speech-to-text type application. Instead of typing out an SMS, I could simply speak it and have it written out for me. Instead of writing out an email or note, I could simply speak it into my phone. "Jott.com" does pretty much the same thing.

Also, I would love the iphone to be able to READ text back to me. For example, I'm driving my car and want to read ESPN's recap of the Braves game last night. Rather than waiting to read it when I've left my car, I could highlight the text from the article (maybe?) and have it read back to me thru my car's speakers.

Would that not be incredible? Could some third-party app pull this off? A jailbreak app perhaps?
    06-10-2009 11:59 PM
    Like this: Vlingo for iPhone?
    06-11-2009 12:05 AM
    Hmm, never even heard of that. Does it read back text to you too? It seems like it's just another version of the Google Mobile App (allowing you to search by speaking), with a couple extras thrown in.
    06-11-2009 12:23 AM
    Hmm, never even heard of that. Does it read back text to you too? It seems like it's just another version of the Google Mobile App (allowing you to search by speaking), with a couple extras thrown in.
    Nope... it doesn't do all the things you mentioned. The BlackBerry version does.

iPhone version does:
    Initiate calls to anyone in your address book.
    Search for anything through Yahoo! or Google in one step.
    Look up and map local listings.
    Update Facebook and Twitter status updates without typing.

BlackBerry version does:
    Search the Web
    Dial your phone
    Update Twitter and Facebook Status
    Create "Notes to Self"
    Open 3rd Party and Native BlackBerry Applications
    Send Text Messages to Contacts who have Vlingo for BlackBerry
    Reply to Text Messages from Contacts who have Vlingo for BlackBerry
    Send Text Messages to any Contact***
    Reply & Forward Text Messages to any Contact***
    Send Emails to any Contact***
    Reply and Forward any Email***

*** $17.99 one-time after trial.
    06-11-2009 12:51 AM
    I'm sure with 3.0 and the additional APIs, more commands will be added.
    06-11-2009 12:52 AM
    Yes, i think it'll be soon
    06-11-2009 08:11 AM
    Like this: Vlingo for iPhone?
    Vlingo's voice recognition is horrible and inaccurate, though. Say Who is much, much better! I haven't had it give me the wrong result, yet, unlike Vlingo which has a 30% success rate with my voice.
    06-11-2009 09:16 AM
    With microsoft sync In a ford car you can do this with your iPhone while driving and it does everything you said like it will talk out the texts you get and you can talk them back
    06-11-2009 10:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD