Ordered my iPhone 3Gs - how about you? *Apple is now shipping*

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, 17 months is the standard for an iPhone bill around $90-$95 a month before tax. Seems like over $100 (I'm at $110) gets you an upgrade after 12 months.
In my case, an iPhone 3G bill of $40/mo. before tax (2nd line on family plan + data + no text plan) gets me an upgrade after 20 months.

thebza451

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
i ordered mine yesterday at the AT&T store nearby, but i'm wondering if i should get a white one this time around... maybe that'll make me feel better about the 3G not looking any different from the 3G ;p

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Ordered 2 today, 1 for me and 1 for my girlfriend. She is getting the white 16 gb and was eligible for the $199 upgrade price. I am getting the black 16 gb and paid $399 for the early upgrade.

People who are mad at at&t for the contract/upgrade issues need to give it up. This is how all call companies operate. Last year was an exception since apple took care of the subsidy.

I am, however, disappointed with at&t about MMS and tethering. They need to get on the ball and release this by the 19th. Really no reason they should be delayed in this area.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
In my case, an iPhone 3G bill of $40/mo. before tax (2nd line on family plan + data + no text plan) gets me an upgrade after 20 months.

Yup, that is the correct number of months for a $40 / month line. Looks like my post on this was pretty accurate.

And don't get me wrong, I am happy with the early upgrade. Much better than paying $699. I have no complaints with AT&T.

Yeah, I mean I hate to defend at&t, but in this regards I have to. Do people expect at&t to go out of business buying them phones? Even if Apple sells the phones for $599 (vs $699 retail price) they are still out $300 when you buy a phone. So after they have made their money back and some profit they offer to help you purchase another one, but most people don't break even with at&t until about 6 months. Plus every carrier in the world does this.

If people want to complain about at&t they can complain about how they are incompetent and can't get MMS and tethering working at launch even though they have know for months now that a new iPhone was coming.

foreverbfc

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
At first I wasn't going to upgrade to the new iphone...however, after giving it some thought, I am going to take the plung...Here's why:

1) Lets face it...It's a better phone.
2) Same body, but I use a case anyway.
3) Most importantly...Apple's exsclusivity with AT&T ends in 2011 and at that time, I WILL switch carriers.
4) If apple releases a better phone next year, I'll sell my then "old iPhone 3Gs" for a large profit and break even purchasing the "REV4" iPhone at that time at no money out of pocket.

Just my thoughts.

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, 17 months is the standard for an iPhone bill around $90-$95 a month before tax. Seems like over $100 (I'm at $110) gets you an upgrade after 12 months.

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/ipho...-blog-got-question-att-bill-upgrade-date.html

Can someone post a link say to AT&T's website that describes the early upgrade process? I called a CSR today, and the only early upgrade she knew about was the 18 month standard. I know for sure the 12 month upgrade exists since it had showed up in my online account back in March before I reduced my calling plan.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Can someone post a link say to AT&T's website that describes the early upgrade process? I called a CSR today, and the only early upgrade she knew about was the 18 month standard. I know for sure the 12 month upgrade exists since it had showed up in my online account back in March before I reduced my calling plan.

Check out my blog post on this Why your at&t upgrade eligibility date is different than your neighbors | When Will Apple? (I'll be updating as I get more info). I got the original info form an at&t CSR and then started asking around and the numbers I have in that post seem to be matching up.

Also, again anyone reading this, if you wouldn't mind posting your pre-tax monthly at&t bill and how many months into your 2 year contract they are letting you get the full upgrade in this thread http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/ipho...-blog-got-question-att-bill-upgrade-date.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Neutrino

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Check out my blog post on this Why your at&t upgrade eligibility date is different than your neighbors | When Will Apple? (I'll be updating as I get more info). I got the original info form an at&t CSR and then started asking around and the numbers I have in that post seem to be matching up.

Also, again anyone reading this, if you wouldn't mind posting your pre-tax monthly at&t bill and how many months into your 2 year contract they are letting you get the full upgrade in this thread http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/ipho...-blog-got-question-att-bill-upgrade-date.html

Great blog post.

Why is this kind of information not posted on AT&T? It is for Verizon. After 12 months with a single line of 49.99, Verizon will give you full subsidized pricing. Is AT&T's policy not clearly articulated?

If so, could someone provide a link? The best I could find was an older link to wirefly.

buirus

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
Yup, upgraded my wife to the white 16gb and me to black 32gb. I did her upgrade through the Apple store which states the device will be delivered by the 19th. I upgraded mine through my ATT small business account and was told I wont receive the device until a "few days" after the 19th. I wonder why???

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm still debating on the upgrade...I mean I should just do it. Right?

Hmmm,now the only question is black or white.

icebawx#IM

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
AT&T - MMS/Upgrade Eligibility

As for upgrade eligibility look here (my 1st post, so you'll have to reconstruct the URL :-X)

wireless.att. com/ learn /why/ upgrade-advantage.jsp

As for MMS, on a wireless account, when adding an iPhone Data + Voicemail feature, it adds an MMS Opt-Out feature as well which as you can guess, blocks MMS completely. As to why this is, I am not sure, because yes the iPhone doesn't support MMS, but there might be the chance that the iPhone text plans (at least the old SOC codes) didn't include MMS and would charge you if you received one, and in order to avoid people being charged for MMS they couldn't even get, they would block it instead. As for it being a "Manual" process, that just means a person "Manually" starts the account sweep and checkups are done by the sweep teams to make sure all the features have been removed, it is NOT a customer by customer process. As I remember, it took about 2 weeks to change the old 7-7 Early Nights and Weekends features from $7/$14 to $8.99/$16.99, so I expect roughly the same time frame for this switch. Its not that big of a deal, you've made it 2 years without it, what's 2 months?

cr105

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Ok I did it. Got a 16G white with an upgrade, from Apple. States it will be delivered on the 19th-woo hoo, we'll see.

Wolfmore

May 2, 2009
www.backtype.com
Just took the plunge!

I bought the 3G last year when it came out and was told I would not qualify for the fully subsidized upgrade until March '09. I asked why 21 month and not 18 month like I had heard from other on the internet. They told me it depends on a few variables. They said it is the market you are in. (I'm in NW Arkansas) and they said it depends what phone you are upgrading from...for example someone that signed a 2yr agreement and got a really crappy phone like a free one for example...so after they explained that it made sense because you can figure they have already made up the money on the cheap free phone so they have no problem with the 18 month early upgrade in that case.

I am guessing 18 month is mostly like the best anyone will get. I've read some people hoping AT&T will qualify after 12 month but for sure not if you are coming from an expensive phone like the iphone...if that is the case that will be for people that are coming from cheap free phones.

So I had to pay $499 + tax + $18 upgrade fee for the 32g 3GS.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
So you purchased the 3GS with the $200 penalty. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that buys you #1 No extension on contract, #2 You'll get it sooner rather than later. So when you get it is it a simple swap of your existing 3G sim and the phone should be activated? If that is truly the case, I may jump in.

You DO extend your contract, AND reset your upgrade eligibility. Which will put you in the exact same predicament next year.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Yea, AT&T is lying, they are holding off so that when they do let us have it they can try to charge more for it, even though our text messaging plans already pay for a service we don't get, there should be aclass action lawsuit against them.

State your source. AT&T has no intention of changing the data plan or texting plan as far as I know.

If you know different, please site it from a credible source.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I agree with you. I just read your post on the latest post on the front page as well and I also agree with part of that as well. People are too hung up on AT&T and blaming them because they signed a contract knowing it was for two years. For people to think they deserve special treatment because they bought a iPhone 3G is just absolutely absurd! They owe you NOTHING. But whatever, who am I right...

If AT&T gave all of these people who are crying about the price another subsidy on this phone after only a year - they'd love AT&T! But again, why should iPhone owners be treated any different than say a BlackBerry owner.

Either you upgrade because you have to money to, just like the device, whatever... or you don't have to upgrade. Either way people need to stop crying.

*I posted something similar to this is Chads post but of course no one crying in the comments even bother to acknowledge it. They still continue to cry about AT&t.

I agree with you, well about AT&T. I am one of the few not upgrading. One of my line's will be eligible july 11th, the other not until march because it's a secondary line on the account w/ the other iPhone 3G. BUT, I don't think AT&T is being unfair either.

I really don't get where a lot of iPhone users get this sense of entitlement. I don't see BB or WinMo fans complaining everytime a phone is released and they want it that AT&T or any other carrier won't say "Okay, we're sorry, you deserve an upgrade even though we just gave you one last week." lol

Sometimes it's tempting, as I know I could get 400 or so for my 16GB 3G as it's in perfect shape, AND I have my grad party this sunday, that will probably fetch me a few grand (i have a HUGE family), so realistically, even if we did both mine and the gf's lines, we'd have to pay 500 for one line, and 300 for the other. she could sell her white 16GB for around 400 or so, as could i sell my black and it would recoup the lost but my reasoning is i just don't want to keep putting us in the same position every year where we are never eligible.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
State your source. AT&T has no intention of changing the data plan or texting plan as far as I know.

If you know different, please site it from a credible source.

What that poster said is complete garbage and is not true what so ever. It's simply AT&T dropping the ball a bit. That's all. Hopefully we get it sooner rather than later.