I like all of the upgrades, just for some reason seem empty after watching the metablog. No great new feature to attract the masses. I will still buy it on the 19th, but does anyone else feel the same way?
    06-08-2009 03:17 PM
    As someone pointed out over at Crackberry, this was not a major update for the iPhone. I would consider it more of a maintenance upgrade. I'm only 11 months into my 3G contract so I won't upgrade.
    06-08-2009 03:28 PM
    I like all of the upgrades, just for some reason seem empty after watching the metablog. No great new feature to attract the masses. I will still buy it on the 19th, but does anyone else feel the same way?
    I see it as a pointless upgrade. Sure it is faster but the upgrades are marginal at best.

• Tethering? PDAnet
    • MMS? Wait for OS 3.0
    • Video? Cycorder
    • Bigger HDD? 8 GB is good enough for me. I still have 4GB left.
    • Better Camera? I have a 7 megapix slim canon.
    • No new Data Plans annouced.
    • I'm not even sure if it has more ram.
    • No Voice features for 3G owners even though that feature has been in phones since the 1990s? My crappy Razr does it!
    • I have to pay for GPS while Pre and other WinMo users get if for free?
    • Then on OS 3.0 most of it was really minimal upgrades....no true backgrounding, push notifications seems really obtrusive and lame.

Nothing compelling. So I am dissapointed and I will not be upgrading.
    06-08-2009 03:29 PM
    Not all that disappointed, but somewhat. 3.0 OS is what I was really excited about.
    06-08-2009 03:32 PM
    Infenit101 You don't have to pay for GPS.
    06-08-2009 03:33 PM
    Infenit101 You don't have to pay for GPS.
    So the Tomtom app and the cradle is free?
    06-08-2009 03:34 PM
    Not all that disappointed, but somewhat. 3.0 OS is what I was really excited about.
    What about it? Still seems very lacking with even more useless apps.
    06-08-2009 03:35 PM
    I completely agree. I have no plans now for upgrading my iPhone 7 months before the 18 month mark. The 3G should still be capable of using the newer OS updates until next year.

At least I hope. :o
    06-08-2009 03:36 PM
    So the Tomtom app and the cradle is free?
    Most definitely not. What was being referred to as GPS is the ability to use that with apps like Google Maps currently.
    What about it? Still seems very lacking with even more useless apps.
    Spotlight search is going to be awesome...
    06-08-2009 03:37 PM
    Software 3.0 is going to be sweet.
    Hardware 3.0 seems like a bust to me.
    Compass. Ho hum.
    Video: (jailbreak has it in the old phone).

Faster - Succeed
    Voice - Succeed (but they must have done it in hardware)
    Front facing camera - FAIL
    New case look - FAIL
    3.0 itself for old phones isn't worth the time it takes to update, the hardware improvement to the new (but old looking phone) are marginal at best, pretty much everything they changed is available in 3rd party apps already, I'm shocked they didn't even change the design? This is gonna be tough holding up for another year against the competition. Look at the specs on the Samsung Omnia HD.
    No Voice features for 3G owners even though that feature has been in phones since the 1990s? My crappy Razr does it!
    It's this combined with the fact that the 3G isn't going to get video that has me really infuriated with Apple right now. It's not a hardware issue that's preventing them from releasing those features as part of the 3.0 upgrade for 3Gs. They're holding out for the money.
    06-08-2009 03:38 PM
    Most definitely not. What was being referred to as GPS is the ability to use that with apps like Google Maps currently.

Spotlight search is going to be awesome...
    GMaps isn't real GPS in my opinion.

Spotlight will be cool but its not like a must have feature.
    06-08-2009 03:39 PM
    That's OK. Reports are showing that AT&T is or has become saturated with iPhone users. They are running out of available customers in the US who don't have or want a new device. The pricing strategy will clearly keep those users still within 6 months of their contract end date on existing devices.

New equipment is all around us. How hard would it take to push you into Sprint for a Palm Pre? Or, give you the strength to wait until the exclusivity date for Sprint is over?
    06-08-2009 03:40 PM
    It's this combined with the fact that the 3G isn't going to get video that has me really infuriated with Apple right now. It's not a hardware issue that's preventing them from releasing those features as part of the 3.0 upgrade for 3Gs. They're holding out for the money.
    The whole conference was baloney. Too many sells figures, no real new ideas, nothing revolutionary. Many of the things they mentioned have already been done on PCs and other phones.
    06-08-2009 03:42 PM
    I'll be fine w/ 3.0 and my 16GB iPhone 3G.

I am so not spending the money they want for uhh, LAME hardware upgrades.

I told ppl a long time ago they wouldn't let iPhone 3G users upgrade at the same price like last year. What did I say? lol

I would of needed a BIG hardware change to want me to change. It didn't happen.

I'm still excited for 3.0, but AT&T just put a damper on that excitement considering they can't get their CRAP together and allow MMS to work out of the gate.

How long have they known about this update?

Makes me start to wish the iPhone when to a better carrier.
    06-08-2009 03:43 PM
    GMaps isn't real GPS in my opinion.

Spotlight will be cool but its not like a must have feature.
    I really like GMaps, but I will purchasing Tom Tom based on if there is a subscription price, etc.

Spotlight is something that I will use all the time. Just user preference...
    06-08-2009 03:43 PM
    How many people jumped up and down when they saw the super thin iphone pic leak. As many times as I told myself it wasn't real, I couldn't help but hope. Keeping the same case is a bummer. I hope they upgrade to 16:9 for the next gen.
    06-08-2009 03:44 PM
    Waiting for Hardware 4.0

Not enough here to drop 300 bucks for a new phone PLUS pay the ETF on my existing contract. Even if they waived the ETF, I wouldn't buy this.

The OS sounds very nice.
    The hardware seem like a huge disappointment when compared to all that was speculated. But then that is typical when expectations run so far ahead of reality.
    06-08-2009 03:45 PM
    I really like GMaps, but I will purchasing Tom Tom based on if there is a subscription price, etc.

Spotlight is something that I will use all the time. Just user preference...
    Wouldn't it just be easier for AT&T to make Telenav available?

I purchased Garmin Mobile for the blackberry Storm. I eventually ended up junking that app in favor of the installed VZ Navigator. $10/month, or $240 for the life of a 2 year contract.
    06-08-2009 03:46 PM
    3.0 itself for old phones isn't worth the time it takes to update, the hardware improvement to the new (but old looking phone) are marginal at best, pretty much everything they changed is available in 3rd party apps already, I'm shocked they didn't even change the design? This is gonna be tough holding up for another year against the competition. Look at the specs on the Samsung Omnia HD.
    Forget the Samsung Omnia HD, just look at the regular Samsung Omnia! I was helping my buddy set up this phone this weekend and even that beats the new iPhone 3GS as far as features go! A 5MP Camera with AutoFocus and Flash not to mention video capture and editing functions along with FM Radio! ISO configuration and white balance, etc... most of the options on a regular camera and all the 3GS gets is 3MP autofocus... BOOOOOO!!!! But one thing it doesn't beat it on, like I've said a few times on this forum and others - SIMPLICITY! This is where the iPhone beats pretty much every phone on the market. On the Omnia, you have to go through so many hoops to get this and that configured... so many friggin steps and options! On the iPhone, Wham! Bam! Thank you, Maam! This is what I love about it.

And check this out... you can pretty much get the Samsung Omnia for free on Verizon! My buddy paid $50 for it, but still...
    Last edited by Watcher; 06-08-2009 at 03:59 PM.
    06-08-2009 03:56 PM
    WWDC = major dissaster WOW! No Jobs mean Apple is like every other non innovative company out.
    06-08-2009 03:58 PM
    Here is another issue I see with the GPS. Ok great everyone wants an "All-In-One" device. I know already that in my new car I have an AUX plug. Its great so now I can control my music, hardwired (no faulty FM transit), and when someone calls, I won't miss it. I love this. Now I add a turn by turn to this process. Will I be able to play the music and watch turn by turn together? If I need to change the song/receive a phone call/send a text, will the gps continue to run in the background? What happens when I am talking to someone AND driving through a neighborhood with a lot of sudden turns, how will they integrate that together.

There is a lot there, but TomTom needs to find the best way to make this happen. I can see them saying if you want to use the phone while running TomTom, you must use a bluetooth headset. I am excited to see how it works. I have a great GPS system in my new car, so this is not a problem for me, but being an engineer/iphone app developer, I see the issues here.
    Last edited by MoneyMFAC; 06-08-2009 at 04:02 PM.
    06-08-2009 03:59 PM
    I'll be fine w/ 3.0 and my 16GB iPhone 3G.

I am so not spending the money they want for uhh, LAME hardware upgrades.

I told ppl a long time ago they wouldn't let iPhone 3G users upgrade at the same price like last year. What did I say? lol

I would of needed a BIG hardware change to want me to change. It didn't happen.

I'm still excited for 3.0, but AT&T just put a damper on that excitement considering they can't get their CRAP together and allow MMS to work out of the gate.

Makes me start to wish the iPhone when to a better carrier.

What really bugs me is that even though I am somewhat excited for 3.0 I still feel like its nothing new. These add on features are old with a new coat of paint. Voice Dial and the sort, Compass (Are they serious), etc and many of the apps are just pointless (6 Line Guitar App???) the (Car opening App for a car none of us have)?

I agree with most of your post, except the part quoted above.

First, ATT does allow and support MMS for all phones that have the feature. I sent voice, photo, and video MMS with my old Razr on ATT.

If you look at your ATT bill you see an item listed in the "Wireless Data" segment that is called "MMS Opt Out".

This feature it the bit that intercepts inbound MMS and sends you an link to a web page instead.

This is a feature ATT had to implement to cover for the fact that the iPhone was GSM-brain-dead compared to every other GSM phone on the market.

Now ATT has to make a compute run thru their network and remove that "feature", but they can't really do this till OS 3.0 is deployed.

But hold on! Not everyone updates like clock work. So they probably want to tie it in to the actual installation of OS 3.0.

So don't rush to blame ATT for this, when the real problem is that it took Apple two years to climb down off of their Throne and condescend to allow the "little people" to have MMS, of which Mr Jobs disapproves, but in a magnanimous gesture, he now grants, All Praise be to Him!.
    (Bitter? Not me!!).
153 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD