Disappointed with iPhone 3Gs???

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
With $99 iPhone 3G's it does not look good for the Pre. That is a low price that is very appealing to many people. And once you pick up the Pre you will more than likely be let down. I know I was.

AT&T's network won't support the bandwidth load. Aside from Slingplayer, what else will AT&T throttle?

I saw a blog article regarding upcoming tethering plans for the iPhone. Looks like AT&T could be charging as much as 65/mo, more than double what VZW is charging.

Why is AT&T delaying rollout of iphone tethering, MMS? | Apple - CNET News

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I wanted a physically different device. I'm pretty sure apple knows the plastic is cheap and scratches easily. I like it for the feel but not the consequence of getting scratches using the device without a case.

Everything else is cool. Front facing cammy would be a bit much though I wouldn't have mind really.

I've been seeing things such as video isn't avialable on the 3G ... That's a crock of ish. But apple does that so you'll buy. Especially since the software update is and will always be free. At least video record...

Overall I'm pretty happy because the software is great but most importantly I can upgrade for the same price as I did last year for the same amount of money (for more space) -- which is a major problem now.

I'm happy.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I'm not at all disappointed. This upgrade is almost *exactly* as momentous as the upgrade from the first gen iPhone to the 3G was--minor hardware improvements, double the capacity, slashed prices. I've been waiting for a storage capacity upgrade before I got tied in to a new 2-year contract; I think 32 GB is sufficient for just about everything I could want to put in my phone/mp3 player/movie player/book reader/apps purveyor. Yay!

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Wow, some overly harsh criticism. Why do we judge Apple on every dream world gadget wishlist and not others? All companies' device updates are incremental since they have to balance the latest innovation vs. profitability. This is equivalent to whining that all apps should be free or $1.99 even if thousands of hours of labor went into making something.

I think faster data access, faster processor, voice control, video recording, improved autofocus camera, compass, fingerprint resistant casing, improved battery, double the memory, and Nike+ are a very significant upgrade. The inline remote control support will be awesome with the voice control as well. It would be even better if voice control integrates with bluetooth car kits. If spotlight (which already outperforms the universal search on the Pre) also integrates with voice control, this will be amazing.

I have not moved away from my 3 year old Treo, but I've been closely watching the smartphones evolve. I've been on the fence of Pre or iPhone and this announcement may have put me over the fence toward the iPhone GS. In an ideal world I'd like a few more things such as front facing camera with video chat, a 5MP camera w/flash, higher res OLED display, and 3rd party background apps (Slacker/Pandora/Simplify/Wunderradio would be sufficient). However, what we got was better than I expected and who has all of these features anyway. What's the standard here (besides an excuse to troll)? If you selectively compare the best features of every other phone out there to the iPhone, Apple will always come up short. There is no single phone that tops every other phone on features and there may never be.

The Pre has plenty of failings and in my opinion the Pre only best the iPhone with 3rd party background apps, consolidated notifications and cloud integration. Personally, I've not been impressed by what I've seen over the weekend of reports on the performance of the cloud integration because most of the cloud sites are flaky on contact management (hello google). Sure this will improve in time. As for the notifications, luckily I'm not a big on IM, text message, etc. If you get hundreds a day, this is a much bigger advantage. The lack of 3rd party background apps does suck, but that's my only remaining reservation.

The dream feature I still want from the iPhone or any other smartphone is a world class audio processor chip, so I can get better utility from higher end headphones and lossless audio files. Then I'll no longer need a separate media player. We don't know yet what chips have changed with the 3GS, but I doubt the audio processor is one of them. That said, no other smartphone has better audio processing than the iPhone.

The list of features that the iPhone bests others (including the Pre) on is enormous. Sure AT&T still sucks. With the 3GS improvements, OS 3.0, Tom Tom app and real document editing coming, I think my Treo 700p is finally being retired for an iPhone 3GS. The 3G was not enough to get me to pull the trigger, but the 3GS is.

Are you serious. One people criticize Apple because they leave out basic features that are standard in every device (video, MMS, backgrounding) and then release it as updates sometimes requireing new harrdware (voice crap) and act like its some new revolutionary feature.

And what list of features does the iphone have that best the others? I think you are delusional.

danmowchan

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Are you serious. One people criticize Apple because they leave out basic features that are standard in every device (video, MMS, backgrounding) and then release it as updates sometimes requireing new harrdware (voice crap) and act like its some new revolutionary feature.

And what list of features does the iphone have that best the others? I think you are delusional.

Try a clearly well established App Store? Can't get that kind of variety in apps on any other cell phone platform. To me, that?s what makes the iPhone stand out.

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Try a clearly well established App Store? Can't get that kind of variety in apps on any other cell phone platform. To me, that?s what makes the iPhone stand out.

Dude the iphone has been out for 2 years......the Pre 2 days. And most of the apps are useless and make fart noises.

danmowchan

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Dude the iphone has been out for 2 years......the Pre 2 days. And most of the apps are useless and make fart noises.

Yeah, the iPhone has had quite a bit of time for the developers to bake up all these apps. This being said, it doesn?t detract _at all_ from the fact that my iPhone has, and will continue to have, more apps than your Palm Pre for a good deal of time.

Yes, fart apps suck, this is true. However, there are some seriously great apps available on the platform and until another phone develops as lively a community as the iPhone, I'll be sticking with my iPhone.

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, the iPhone has had quite a bit of time for the developers to bake up all these apps. This being said, it doesn?t detract _at all_ from the fact that my iPhone has, and will continue to have, more apps than your Palm Pre for a good deal of time.

Yes, fart apps suck, this is true. However, there are some seriously great apps available on the platform and until another phone develops as lively a community as the iPhone, I'll be sticking with my iPhone.

Well I can't argue about it being lively but I can't help but think how much better it would be if Apple would allow more freedom. I'd really like another Browser that support Flash like Opera or even Skyfire.

danmowchan

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Well I can't argue about it being lively but I can't help but think how much better it would be if Apple would allow more freedom. I'd really like another Browser that support Flash like Opera or even Skyfire.

I will give you that, the way Apple limits the developers is bull****. I'm all for competition but the iPhone is just the logical choice for me. To each is own :)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
-Video recording, have a digi-cam that does fine and is much better
-tethering, I got the iPhone so I don't have to carry around my laptop so will never use
-compass, meh

I'm waiting until next year when the real new iPhone comes out. I want a higher resolution screen most of all, and OLED too boot.

Last edited:

scaliasphone

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I see it as a pointless upgrade. Sure it is faster but the upgrades are marginal at best.

• Tethering? PDAnet
  • MMS? Wait for OS 3.0
  • Video? Cycorder
  • Bigger HDD? 8 GB is good enough for me. I still have 4GB left.
  • Better Camera? I have a 7 megapix slim canon.
  • No new Data Plans annouced.
  • I'm not even sure if it has more ram.
  • No Voice features for 3G owners even though that feature has been in phones since the 1990s? My crappy Razr does it!
  • I have to pay for GPS while Pre and other WinMo users get if for free?
  • Then on OS 3.0 most of it was really minimal upgrades....no true backgrounding, push notifications seems really obtrusive and lame.

Nothing compelling. So I am dissapointed and I will not be upgrading.

I agree completely.

scaliasphone

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I think many of you are not realizing how much faster and smoother the 3Gs will be... that alone is huge. 2x faster than the current 3G. That's big. Also increased battery life. Something to think about.

*I can see how some of you are not excited, guess this is only a upgrade for the hardcore tech people out there. I'm guilty...

Ash, the processor will be faster and so will the phone...but ATT's network is not ready for the wireless speed and won't be able to fully utilize this device's ability until...the next gen iPhone rolls out.

It's a failure. Even if you're a tech geek, it's a failure. In my opinion of course :)

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
AT&T responds to iPhone 3G S pricing and (lack of) features | Technology | Los Angeles Times

ATT's network doesn't even support 7.2 wireless technology and it won't until next year, at the earliest. This hardware upgrade...eh...

The link you posted leaves the clear impression that ATT needs to upgrade its system to handle MMS.

But we already know this is false. ATT has message bundles that include MMS:
Get Started - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

gruswitz

Aug 21, 2006
Visit site
@infenit101 - Of course one can make a long list when there are hundreds of phones to compare. Which phone do you want to compare? Or are you here just to Troll? Hey, I said that I didn't own an iPhone, yet. Why? Because there were basic features that I was unwilling to do without. That said, I've envied the iPhone user experience (intuitive control, thousands of available apps - hundreds sans farts - HaHa, a beautiful large touch screen, a really good media player, and hundreds of available accessories). The features I needed are finally here and I think this is an outstanding upgrade. You don't - we get it - move on.

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
im buying it no matter what the price.

This is a step forward in technology not backward.

Stop trolling

Stop crying

Stop being idiots.

The comments i laugh at the most are the camera comments.

First off this is a better picture then the 3G, even vs jailbroken video.

For those of you saying "ill carry a camera around" Go ahead, step back in time in technology. If you love carrying around more then one thing... lol

Better Battery
Better Camera
Better CPU/Speed
Video + Video editing /Upload youtube
Nike +
More Ram

Im sold. Its an upgrade. and a nice one at that.

You know what the most hilarious thing here is with all you idiots crying? You FORGET things very quickly.

going from 2G Phone to 3G was Simply just THAT, 2g to 3g, + GPS. THATS IT

the list for this upgrade is WAAAAY More then the last. That makes this on paper an improvement. and a step forward. open up your eyes, or can't you? to many tears running down that face?

Also i think you're forgetting how much the day 1 iPhone costed us as well...

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
3.0 is gonna be awesome.
But I think because there is no front-facing camera and I just bought a portable camcorder that has a rotating lens (Sony Webbie HD) and shoots 1080p, 720p, and 480p video... I'll be fine without this new phone.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I wish this would have never been shown...:(:(:(
iphones.jpg

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
im buying it no matter what the price.

This is a step forward in technology not backward.

Stop trolling

Stop crying

Stop being idiots.

The comments i laugh at the most are the camera comments.

First off this is a better picture then the 3G, even vs jailbroken video.

For those of you saying "ill carry a camera around" Go ahead, step back in time in technology. If you love carrying around more then one thing... lol

Better Battery
Better Camera
Better CPU/Speed
Video + Video editing /Upload youtube
Nike +
More Ram

Im sold. Its an upgrade. and a nice one at that.

You know what the most hilarious thing here is with all you idiots crying? You FORGET things very quickly.

going from 2G Phone to 3G was Simply just THAT, 2g to 3g, + GPS. THATS IT

the list for this upgrade is WAAAAY More then the last. That makes this on paper an improvement. and a step forward. open up your eyes, or can't you? to many tears running down that face?

Also i think you're forgetting how much the day 1 iPhone costed us as well...

Excuse me, but to me, it looks like YOU are the troll.

In how many different threads are you going to post the same slander?

People are entitled to their opinions. If you are upgrading, great, good for you. Don't read the threads regarding people who are disappointed. No one is making you. Go somewhere else and don't post. I assure you no one in this thread will miss your posts.

To me, and many others, adding a video camera and 1 more megapixel is not really a valued upgrade when you'd have to pay 500 or more for it if you already own a 3G. That's a bit extreme.

There are several reasons some people may not upgrade.

Get off your high horse and either contribute something worthwhile, or go troll somewhere else.

</end rant>

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW