Unlocked iPhone 3G 'Could not activate mobile data network'

tomk72

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I have recently acquired an iPhone 3G 16GB. It is unlocked and I have put my sim card in (Virgin Mobile) and used it without problem when calling or sending text messages. The internet all works fine when connected to a wi-fi network.

In the top left hand corner it says '3G', however if I try anything related to the internet (Safari, Twitter etc.) a message will appear reading 'Could not activate mobile data network'. This is very inconvenient for me. All internet related activities work fine when connected to a wi-fi network.

Is this a problem with all unlocked phones? Is there a solution to this? Or am I simply unable to use the internet without wi-fi on this model?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, all questions may sound silly, but this is my first iPhone and I am very inexperienced with them!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since you stated that you "recently acquired" an iPhone 3G, I am *assuming* you didn't purchase it from Virgin Mobile. If that is true, did you purchase their "Beyond Talk" plans? If you did not or if you do not have a data plan of any kind, you will not be able to use the data capabilities of your newly acquired iPhone 3G other than via of Wi-Fi.

tomk72

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I was already on a Virgin Mobile contract, but it was using BlackBerry internet. They had to re-provision my account to iPhone internet. Thankyou for you help, all is sorted though.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was already on a Virgin Mobile contract, but it was using BlackBerry internet. They had to re-provision my account to iPhone internet. Thankyou for you help, all is sorted though.

I understand, and thank you for the update. Take care and if you get a chance, follow the WWDC 2013 Keynote liveblog via the iMore Blog using the link below.

WWDC 2013 Keynote Liveblog | iMore.com

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've got the same problem only with my 4s how did you solve it?

Is anyone know how the guy who had the iphone problem fixed it asap?!

The OP stated the following: "I was already on a Virgin Mobile contract, but it was using BlackBerry internet. They had to re-provision my account to iPhone internet. Thank you for you help, all is sorted though." I assume "they" means Virgin Mobile.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah so is mine ive contacted virgin and they havent replied what does is mean by re-provision??
in summary, they reconfigured his account/settings to allow for his phone to work properly on their network. Give 'em a call and see if your situation needs similar reconfiguring.

jeffthompson

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
i ordered a new sim from straight talk, put it in and eveything works but my data(apn) when im not connected to a wifi signal. I have an iphone 3gs previously on at&t network. Is there anything I can do to take care of this beside buying an iphone directly through straight talk?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
i ordered a new sim from straight talk, put it in and eveything works but my data(apn) when im not connected to a wifi signal. I have an iphone 3gs previously on at&t network. Is there anything I can do to take care of this beside buying an iphone directly through straight talk?

Did you setup the APN settings exactly how they told you to in the manual? That's the only reason it will not work. You can give them a call if you want but they will say the same thing.

jeffthompson

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
they walked me through how to change the apn setting according to there manual but i did not have the same options on my phone under settings, general, cellular.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW