I have an iPhone 3g. Like almost everyone else I updated to V4 OS when it was released..... big mistake.

I followed the article to downgrade the software (which was very clear and well written by the way) as follows

I Used Recboot v1.3 to go into recovery mode
    Loaded the image that I downloaded from the net (248MB) v3.1.3 onto the iPhone
    All went through as per your document
    When completed at the error 1015 message, all seems ok, the iPhone sat in recovery mode
    Used Recboot to take it out of recovery mode
    iPhone reboots

It would appear at this stage that I am now stuck in an iTunes link loop. It restarts with the iTunes link image, and iTunes comes up with the error message "we are experiencing a problem activating you phone...." etc etc etc

By re-enabling recovery mode I have tried a number of times to load 3.1.3 and even hav tried 3.1.2, but at the end it always when removed from recovery mode it goes back to the iTunes link mode

Any help you can give is gratefully received!

Thanks

Steve C.
    11-22-2010 06:54 PM
    download tiny umbrella to kick it out of the reboot loop, then, update to iOS 4.2.1 - the oasis for us 3G users
    szsteve7 likes this.
    11-22-2010 08:05 PM
    download tiny umbrella to kick it out of the reboot loop, then, update to iOS 4.2.1 - the oasis for us 3G users
    Hi BLiNK

Thanks for the advice.

The phone wasn't in the reboot loop (recovery mode) but in the mode as it would link initially to iTunes when new (except iTunes showed the error mentioned)

Anyhow, have used TinyUmbrella to put it into recovery mode and am currently downloading the 4.2.1 iPhone software IPSW file.

Will let you know how I get on!

Thanks again

Steve C.
    11-22-2010 09:41 PM
    Went through the whole thing installing 4.2.1 and after the restart at the end all I am getting is the iTunes connect image (although iTUnes displays the error as before) and the sliding bar to select emergency calls

Steve C.
    11-22-2010 11:46 PM
    i'm assuming you have updated your iTunes.. if not, try that then restore as new
    szsteve7 likes this.
    11-23-2010 12:43 AM
    i'm assuming you have updated your iTunes.. if not, try that then restore as new
    Hi

Yes downloaded the latest 10.1 and installed it before trying the 4.2.1

Have tried a new second restore and still the same, just the sliding emergency call bar
    11-23-2010 02:22 AM
    Tried on a different PC

This time Windows 7, iTunes 10.1, trying to install v4.2.1

Went through the whole thing then at the end after the reboot still only the sliding emergency bar
    11-23-2010 03:54 AM
    If you can't activate there is option jailbreak. Can you give link to tutorial how to downgrade?
    szsteve7 likes this.
    11-23-2010 04:08 AM
    Well I tried the jailbreak option, sat and watched it do its own thing, then when finished watch the iPhone reboot and....... still just the emergency sliding bar! AAAARRRGGHHHHH!!!!

I thought Microsoft were bad, Apple are WORSE!
    11-23-2010 05:35 AM
    Well had some modicombe of success. I installed 3.1.3 and jailbreak'd with 0.9.3 which actually got me into the phone! Trouble is there is no telephone network signal strength showing and does not appear to be any way to selct between network in use....
    11-23-2010 09:23 AM
    Well had some modicombe of success. I installed 3.1.3 and jailbreak'd with 0.9.3 which actually got me into the phone! Trouble is there is no telephone network signal strength showing and does not appear to be any way to selct between network in use....
    Looks like you need unlock your phone. Is it work with AT&T or O2(UK)??? I think your phone is locked for other networks.
    ------------
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    szsteve7 likes this.
    11-23-2010 09:36 AM
    Have unlocked it using Ultrasn0w and now can enter Cellular Data Network settings and have a carrier option. However when the phone is running it is still not getting a signal (was searching for AGES) and when I go into CARRIER option there is just a ticked "automatic" option and it comes up with the message "unable to load network list".

I believe it is because my modem firmware is 05.15.04..... does that sound as if its my problem? Can I roll that back / resolve the issue?

Cheers

Steve
    Last edited by szsteve7; 11-23-2010 at 11:30 AM.
    11-23-2010 11:22 AM
    Solution only for you is downgrade baseband 05.15.04 to xx.xx.xx. But how to? I'm not sure it is possible now.

------------
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    11-23-2010 11:36 AM
    looks like Limesn0w will be out very soon and should do it thankfully... what a saga!!!!
    11-23-2010 11:50 AM
    Well that didn't go well.

Followed the guide on "How to Jailbreak and Unlock iOS 4.2.1 for iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G with Ultrasn0w 1.2, PwnageTool 4.1.3 and Redsn0w 0.9.6b5"

and at the end on reboot all I get is the apple logo and it sits and does nothing else!

Pass the hammer please!
    11-30-2010 08:42 AM
    Ok, completely confused.

As nothing to lose I went back through installing 3.1.3

It all sprang bck into life (although still no telephone signal)

Installed ultrasn0w 1.2 and STILL no signal.

Went to look at the "about" section and the modem version is still 05.15.04, it didn't change it!

Not sure where to go from here.....

Any assistance gratefully rx'd

Cheers

Steve
    11-30-2010 08:54 PM
    DOH! Double DOH!!!

Missed the part in the words of wisdom about selecting the iPad baseband option when doing the upgrade!

Went through it all again and now all working fine!!! Time to put the hammer away!
    12-01-2010 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD