iPhone 3G updated to 4.0 - now no carrier or service

Steve-O

Banned
Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I have a 3G which was running 3.1.3 & was jailbroken with Spirit.

I decided I was happy to lose the JB for 4.0, so decided to update.
The update has completed & restored all my apps, contacts, messages etc, but now my phone is just constantly stuck on "No Service". There isn't even a 'Carrier' option in the settings.

If I go to Settings > General > About it tells me Network - Not Available, but further down it does list the Carrier as O2 7.0.

Has anyone else had any kind of similar problem, or does anyone have any idea on how to fix this issue at all?

Any help & suggestions are MUCH appreciated!!!

Steve-O

Banned
Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
And also, despite my wifi bring connected (shows on the bar & in the settings as connected), I cannot actually use it - I just get told that I have no internet connection.

Steve-O

Banned
Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Should that get my carrier/service etc working, will I then be able to restore from a backup so that I have all my contacts etc?
Thanks

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I had the same thing happen when I went from Spirit to 4.0 GM A simple restore fixed. This is why TiPb put on the blogs to virginize your phone fist if you were JB

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Don't restore from backup, SYNC. That is what restores your contacts, assuming you sync them in iTunes with Mail or Outlook, or whatever.

Steve-O

Banned
Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Don't restore from backup, SYNC. That is what restores your contacts, assuming you sync them in iTunes with Mail or Outlook, or whatever.

I'm afraid I don't. I only ever use iTunes for importing music or Apps & nothing else.

The initial restore has got me back my service/carrier, but the icons on the screen are all over the place - half off the bottom of the screen etc. Already started restoring my settings before I read the previous post, so will see how it goes now........

Steve-O

Banned
Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
I've tried the restore/re-sync a couple of times now, but with the same results. Could somebody possibly advise of the best way to down-grade to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 please? ...... In desperate need of having a working phone!!

Cobra5mil

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
I would like to note to everyone that I am reading reports from other sites that other people are also losing carrier signal after updating.

Last edited:

Steve-O

Banned
Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I now have mine working!!!

In my case, it was reasonably simple.......

When I went to update to 4.0 I put my phone in Airplane Mode so that I couldn't receive any calls/msgs to interrupt the process.
Once updated, the phone told me it was out of Airplane Mode & should be working as normal - but obviously was not. (Airplane Mode stated that it was OFF, so I never really thought of this).
I then went to get me IMEI number by using the phone/keypad & it told me that I had to disable Airplane Mode to make calls. The Disable option that pops up did not work, so I manually went into the setting, turned Airplane Mode ON, reset the phone, & when it rebooted turned Airplane Mode OFF.
The carrier & service then kicked in & it's now working fine.

If anyone else has this same problem, it may be worth giving this a shot.

Thanks for the suggestions & posts guys! :)

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
Her's what fixed mine after speaking to an apple senior tech. He had me create a new ID on my laptop and login using that. Open iTunes and do a restore. After that then everything started working after it reloaded the OS. If you check your carrier under About, it shows No Carrier. Once I did that then I had full data again and was able to login back to my other ID and resync all my data back.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods