Moving from a iPhone 3G to a 2G

RogerG#IM

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys - Been wandering the forums for awhile, but finally felt the need to sign up and start posting. Anyways I have a few questions. Given that I don't really use the maps and internet on my 3G, I've chosen to accept an offer from a friend for an iPhone 2G and $100 for my 3G. Now I have a few questions regarding this transfer:

- Will I have to get a different sim card, or will I be able to insert and go with my new 2G?

- Will I have to make any changes to my current AT&T plan? If the person I'm doing this trade with does not have a current iPhone plan, will that affect me at all with them using my 3G?

- And finally, before trading the phone, if I do a restore and set up the phone to factory settings, will they be able to see any information I had on the phone prior to the trade?

If there is anything else I should be worried about before doing this please let me know. I appreciate all your help!

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone 2G data plan is cheaper than the iPhone 3G and if you backup your 3G you can restor the 2G from the backup. They take the same sim Thanks is it.

shadowd7

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Listen DONT DO THAT!!!!!
I literally just registered to save you from this mistake....

I had a regular account, (regular cell phone bill w/ AT&T) $99 unlimited, & $30 for unlimited txt & web, on an iPhone 3G....
later on hooked up a 2G (which lowered my unlimited txt > 1500/mth) to it through iTunes, and then it put me in a 2 yr Contract, which forced me to update to 3GS through "early-upgrade price" $400 for 16GB....

Just cuz of a stupid mistake it costed me $200 extra for nothing where for $300 i could have gotten the 32GB instead of paying $400 for 16GB...

All i can say is DONT DO IT!!!!, unless its what you really want, know about the contract and everything

RogerG#IM

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info - I'll probably end up giving AT&T a call to see what they have to say. This sounds like it could be more trouble then I'd planned

RogerG#IM

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Sorry for the double post but wanted you to see this post shadowd7 - were you not already on a contract and then moved into a two year contract? Because right now I'm on a 2 year contract

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Shadow7,

I'm not sure what happened, but unless you didn't qualify for upgrade pricing, it sounds like you got robbed and I would DEFINITELY talk to AT&T again about that issue. My guess is you purchased your 3G After September of 2008 and therefore didn't qualify for upgrade pricing. The MOST you should have been charged was possibly a cancellation fee for your 3G contract if you tried to move down to a 2G, but they shouldn't have forced you to take a 3GS if you wanted to downgrade to a 2G.

My Question for RogerG is, how long ago did you purchase your 3G. If it was after September of 2008 then you probably don't qualify for an upgrade (even though this is technically a downgrade), and you'll probably be forced into paying for the cancellation fee for the 3G. I would probably just go into an AT&T store and ask them to be sure though.

Good luck.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73