hi everyone

im currently deployed here in iraq and my wife and i are debating on leaving big red (verizon) for att and finally getting ourselves a pair of IPhones.

my question is if the IPhone will work out here in Iraq, ive seen some military and civilians here with IPhones but i really never ask them on how they are able to use thier IPhones out here in the AOR. Does anyone on here have any knowledge on international roaming? The only thing i will be using it for is text messaging

thank you and any help and info is greatly appreciated
    04-19-2009 10:08 PM
    If you take your iphone to iraq, get a otterbox for it. It will save your phone.

I am not sure how they would be used out there but there has to be a way, you might wanna call att and talk to them about it.
    04-19-2009 10:42 PM
    yeah ive been looking fro some protective skins, and ive narrowed my choices down to an otterbox and iskin.
    04-20-2009 01:22 AM
    There should be a link on AT&T's website about International rates...yup, here it is:
    Wireless International Rates | Wireless from AT&T
    04-21-2009 11:36 PM
    > ive seen some military and civilians here with IPhones

Ask them.
    I mean really, unless someone here did a tour, anything we say is guessing.

If you have WIFI where you are stationed you can maybe use that, but data rates from ATT are brutal. Text rates are just as bad.

Skype is cool for text (on edge, 3g or wifi) and voice on wifi only.

But again, the data roaming will kill you on other than wifi, and you can't buy an in-country sim with the iphone to avoid the ATT charges. (Get a iphone from Italy and you can avoid ATT).

AT&T Rates in Iraq and areas of coverage. Its Grim.

Might be wise to take a cheapo razr back-up phone that you can buy an in-country sim for.

Also some places may have restrictions on camera phones. But if you were stationed in such a place you would already be aware of that.
    Last edited by icebike; 04-22-2009 at 06:05 PM.
    04-22-2009 05:53 PM
    thank you for the replies

we do have wifi at our MWR on base. so as soon as my iphone gets here im getting skype

> "Also some places may have restrictions on camera phones. But if you were stationed in such a place you would already be aware of that."

yeah i work on the flightline and were pretty strict on that when civilians and third country nationals try to use phones and cameras out there. but yea once i get my iphone ill be sure to share some pictures with all of you back in the states.
    04-23-2009 01:02 AM
    ATT will charge you alot but you can go on there website and it shows you were they have a 3G and signal at!
    05-07-2009 08:54 PM
    Just got back from Iraq. You will have no issue getting a Sim. Just make sure you unlock it before getting there. Good luck, keep your head down *INCOMING! INCOMING!*
    05-08-2009 10:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD