The official: Should I Buy an iPhone 3G Now Thread

siddfinch

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
i recently dumped my blackberry curve and vzw contract went to at&t got a new iphone and contract :D i know there will be a new one out by the end of the summer but i will either wait till my birthday in october and ask for it from the fiance or just put a little bit away each week and buy it at retail gladly pay that much for any apple product. i use all mac computers and have every gen ipod haha :D so i am glad i didn't wait i am just mad i waited this long!

I did the same thing - opted out of VZW contract, paid my variable ETF and joined AT&T. No complaints at all about reception, and am so happy I made the switch - using my BB for daily tasks (Web browsing, Calendar, etc.) was a chore!

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
:eek:I would wait. it's only a month and a half away. I have a first gen phone and have been dying to get a new one so when I finally decided to do it I heard about the new phone and have been biting my nails ever since...AAAARGGG I can barely contain my self any longer! Must....Have...New...Phone!:eek:

PhxBlue

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
:eek:I would wait. it's only a month and a half away. I have a first gen phone and have been dying to get a new one so when I finally decided to do it I heard about the new phone and have been biting my nails ever since...AAAARGGG I can barely contain my self any longer! Must....Have...New...Phone!:eek:

You aren't alone buddy. I am in the exact same boat as you. HOLD ON! :cool:

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Well, WWDC 2009 is supposed to be June 8-12, so we *should* have an answer by then. Yes, there could be an exception to this rule, but unlikely. So for those of you undecided fence-sitters, hold on!!! :)

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I just got a refurb deal from AT&T $199 For a 16GB about 2 months back. I must say, I love my 3G more than my Original iPhone that I loved so much. I am so happy I got it, and will not be at all crazed about having the latest and greatest. 3.0 will be enough for me as I will really want to use MMS. Thats what I miss most. But my AT&T refurb is in great, great shape. And really, recommend to everyone

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I just got bought another white 16GB off of ebay.

I'm not convinced that the rumored new phone is going to be that much of an improvement.

3seven1

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I just got a refurb deal from AT&T $199 For a 16GB about 2 months back. I must say, I love my 3G more than my Original iPhone that I loved so much. I am so happy I got it, and will not be at all crazed about having the latest and greatest. 3.0 will be enough for me as I will really want to use MMS. Thats what I miss most. But my AT&T refurb is in great, great shape. And really, recommend to everyone

I'm thinking about buying a refurbished iphone from at&ts website, does anybody have any good/bad stories to tell about doing that? $149 sounds pretty good for a 16gb iphone and i'm having a hard time waiting for a new iphone. Rumor has it that a new one will be ANNOUNCED in June...but then how long before it goes on sale?

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
@3seven1,

The first gen iPhone was released on June 29, 2007 and the second gen iPhone was released on July 11, 2008. So PROBABLY in June or July? It's always been a summer time launch.

dlnmorrow

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
I know of a couple of folks that have taken advantage of the refurbs and they havent had any issues so far.
I went ahead and bought mine. I'm anxious for the 3.0 OS release.

dynamo84ll

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
Here is my refurb story...

Switched from verizon about 2 months ago to a brand new 8gig model(best $200 i have ever spent honestly) couple weeks ago i was having some issues with map and youtube app. Apple store replaced my device hassle free two times with refurb models.

First refurb model the chrome bezel was not aligned correctly causing light to shine through the cracks. Apple store replaced it no questions asked

Second refurb the home button would stick.. i contacted customer relations. After being told i would receive a new 8gig phone in the mail, 2 weeks went by without hearing nothing. Finally a rep calls me and explains he just received the request. I complained a phone should have been sent 2 weeks ago. He happily upgrades me to a brand new 16gig white model. I just received my new phone and am happy as can be

Overall, it was the best $200 i have every spent, apple customer service is excellent. At&t even put i $150 credit on our first bill to offset the verizon termination fee. I am extremely satified with my iphone 3g, and apple as a company. I encourage you to buy the iphone, best money ever spent

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Lucky you! Ii wouldn't have refused an AT&T credit to help offset my Sprint ETF, cause I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint tried to charge me double.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site

Switched from verizon about 2 months ago to a brand new 8gig model(best $200 i have ever spent honestly) couple weeks ago i was having some issues with map and youtube app. Apple store replaced my device hassle free two times with refurb models.

First refurb model the chrome bezel was not aligned correctly causing light to shine through the cracks. Apple store replaced it no questions asked

Second refurb the home button would stick.. i contacted customer relations. After being told i would receive a new 8gig phone in the mail, 2 weeks went by without hearing nothing. Finally a rep calls me and explains he just received the request. I complained a phone should have been sent 2 weeks ago. He happily upgrades me to a brand new 16gig white model. I just received my new phone and am happy as can be

Overall, it was the best $200 i have every spent, apple customer service is excellent. At&t even put i $150 credit on our first bill to offset the verizon termination fee. I am extremely satified with my iphone 3g, and apple as a company. I encourage you to buy the iphone, best money ever spent

Wow what a story! I guess all that happened for a reason ;)

nickpav

May 2, 2009
Visit site

damn. thats good customer service. apple replaced my friends iphone when he stepped on it for free. the guy was really nice. i havent had any misfortunes like that though