Thanks everyone. But doesn't apple do it where if u have a contract and u get the new one u just start over on the contract. No cancel fee and u get new customer price?
    No. This is a basically an AT&T decision. Last year, yes, previous iPhone users qualified for the upgrade price, but that may not happen this year. The first iPhone was not subsidized by AT&T, the 3G is. Basically, AT&T banks on you paying for the subsidy with the 2 year contract. Allowing iPhone 3Gs to upgrade early would mean they were cutting your contract in half and you essentially didn't pay them back for the subsidy.

All that to say that we don't know how they are going to handle it. But don't be surprised or upset if 3G owners don't qualify for upgrades. Either way, if you buy a 3G now, there is no way that you'll qualify for an upgrade to a new iPhone anyway. They will probably have a date set that you had to purchase you iPhone by in order to qualify.
    05-19-2009 09:02 PM
    I have a verizon BB Storm and a Vodafone IPhone 3G I also have a retired IPhone 1st Gen And i use my iphone more then i do my main line(BB Storm) I recomend the iphone 3G
    05-20-2009 05:48 PM
    Hey MrMikeh:

Your answer to Number 4 was disingenuous at best.

The iphone is the single most troublesome cell phone ever invented. It will crash. It will brick. At least 25% of customers have serious problems updating the OS every release. My company has 4 lines of service, and we have had 7 total iPhones.
    You need only read some of the 2000 + Post threads on the official Apple forums to find this out.

The offsetting factor is that Apple has stood fore-square behind the phone, often replacing them two or three times for the same customer.
    05-20-2009 06:16 PM
    Do not buy a iPhone untill after June I think you can wait to see if apple releases a new iphone.
    05-21-2009 06:42 AM
    I was holding out for the 3rd gen phone but I dropped my first gen iPhone in the john back in February of this year. I tried every single thing I could to get it to dry out with no luck. I had to get a 3G and I do not regret it. It is an excellent phone and a great improvement over the first gen. I don't think that the features rumored on the third gen would get me to upgrade over the 3G I have now. But of course, as with all gadgets, I will get the urge to have one whether it is a huge improvement or not.

I am looking forward to the 3.0 software and would have been mad if the third gen was not released and I still had my first gen. I would have had to upgrade to a 3G anyway to get MMS and stereo bluetooth with MMS being the most important feature to me.
    05-21-2009 02:05 PM
    I'm glad I saw this tread before I posted my own. Me and my fiance are getting new phones soon and I'm really considering the iphone 3g but I have a few questions.

1. Should I want till after WWDC to purchase my phone?
    2. Do you think MMS will be supported anytime soon?
    3. Can I send pics at all?
    4. What is the best speed dial app? If you use them
    5. I don't think I live in a 3g area, is EDGE really that bad?
    6. Is the iphone the best phone you've owned?

Thanks in advance guys
    05-21-2009 02:25 PM
    I'm glad I saw this tread before I posted my own. Me and my fiance are getting new phones soon and I'm really considering the iphone 3g but I have a few questions.
    1. Should I want till after WWDC to purchase my phone?
    2. Do you think MMS will be supported anytime soon?
    3. Can I send pics at all?
    4. What is the best speed dial app? If you use them
    5. I don't think I live in a 3g area, is EDGE really that bad?
    6. Is the iphone the best phone you've owned?

Thanks in advance guys
    1. I would, it's only a couple weeks away.
    2. MMS will be supported in the 3.0 software due to be released in "summer"
    3. As of now, you can send pics through email or onto social networking sites like facebook, twitter, and myspace through apps. Texting photos is MMS. See 2.
    4. I don't use them. iPhone favorites is good enough for me.
    5. If you've never used 3G, EDGE is wonderful. But being on 3G and having to go back to EDGE is terrible. Kind of like dial-up... remember how cool it was? It was awesome until we experienced DSL and faster.
    6. Yes, by far
    05-21-2009 02:41 PM
    I'm gonna wait and see if apple announces anything at WWDC which is looking more and more likely as we get closer!!! I can't wait. I feel like its Christmas all over again!
    05-22-2009 01:36 AM
    1. I would, it's only a couple weeks away.
    2. MMS will be supported in the 3.0 software due to be released in "summer"
    3. As of now, you can send pics through email or onto social networking sites like facebook, twitter, and myspace through apps. Texting photos is MMS. See 2.
    4. I don't use them. iPhone favorites is good enough for me.
    5. If you've never used 3G, EDGE is wonderful. But being on 3G and having to go back to EDGE is terrible. Kind of like dial-up... remember how cool it was? It was awesome until we experienced DSL and faster.
    6. Yes, by far
    What is EDGE going to be like compared to my wifi connection? will I be able to play games when I'm not at home on wifi? I think its actually going to be very rare that I'm going to be on 3g since I live in the sticks. Is EDGE going to be as slow as "dial-up" ?
    05-22-2009 01:41 AM
    What is EDGE going to be like compared to my wifi connection? will I be able to play games when I'm not at home on wifi? I think its actually going to be very rare that I'm going to be on 3g since I live in the sticks. Is EDGE going to be as slow as "dial-up" ?
    Yes, you'll still be able to play games and such. Most game don't require an internet connection anyway. You will notice a huge difference between EDGE and wifi, edge is definitely much slower when using safari. But here's the deal, how many people used and still use the original iPhone and absolutely love it? A LOT (real scientific, I know). I don't think you'll be remotely disappointed with the phone even if you rarely get to utilize 3G.
    05-22-2009 02:03 AM
    Yes, you'll still be able to play games and such. Most game don't require an internet connection anyway. You will notice a huge difference between EDGE and wifi, edge is definitely much slower when using safari. But here's the deal, how many people used and still use the original iPhone and absolutely love it? A LOT (real scientific, I know). I don't think you'll be remotely disappointed with the phone even if you rarely get to utilize 3G.
    oh good i was worried. i was mostly worried about epic pet wars and useing tweetie.
    05-22-2009 03:12 AM
    I just bought mine and it doesn't bother me in the least that a newer more powerful version is coming out. I have one the first Power PC G5 dual cores which is almost 6 years old now (I think) and a 2 year old Mac Book pro thats 2.4 dual with Intel chips. My G5 still smokes any PC and is a fantastic computer. I'll use it till it explodes which I doubt it will. Apple makes great products and the upgrade cycle is nice but its not as necessary as the PC world (which with Windows "upgrades" is really questionable).

Chad
    05-26-2009 09:28 PM
    I had an iPhone for about 2 months, sold it, then I re-purchased it from AT&T, and sold it again and now I have a Blackberry Bold. I will say that the difference in media player is not as significant as people will say, especially with a good set of headphones. Also, I really like (on the Bold) that multi-tasking where I can actually listen to Pandora Radio, and respond to a message on Facebook. Doing such a thing is impossible on the iPhone. Also, I live Ubertwitter(its a twitter app up and running) and it shows how many new Twitters I have to read.. The Bold is far closer to an iPhone in every department except the apps. I do miss all the apps you can get but I do have all the apps I use to use on the iPhone on the Bold. I also like how when someone sends you a Facebook Notification, it comes up with the facebook logo as a notifier, it does the same with myspace too.
    05-27-2009 12:51 PM
    I will also say the browsing capabilities on the iPhone are fantastic. I do miss it but if you go to either a Bold or an iPhone you can't really go wrong.
    05-30-2009 08:01 AM
    Does att offer some sort of 30 day return where a could get a 3g now, return it in under 30 days and then grab the new one if/when it comes out? I am having to type this on a blackberry storm so you all can understand why I'm getting restless...
    06-04-2009 02:40 PM
    lol just wait a month it wont kill you !

yes they have a 30 day return policy, if you can exchange it in 30 days for a next gen or not i don't know. and what if it takes longer then 30 days for att to get it ?
    06-04-2009 03:07 PM
    No, if you return it there is a good chance you won't be able to get a new one. Just do what Cartman did on South Park waiting for the Wii
    06-04-2009 03:07 PM
    No. Just wait. That whole 30 day things will complicate things.

Just wait because there is a high chance that you won't even get the new model when your 30 days is up.

I had the Blackjack II last year and I hated it with a passion. I was in your shoes right now , I wanted the 3G really bad. I tried in June for a week to get it and no luck. I didn't get it until October that year.

It was worth the wait , less hastle and stress. Also , incase 3.0 is buggy , you'll get a chance to let apple make a few more changes to the firmware.

So just wait.
    06-04-2009 03:22 PM
    I meant July *

I don't know why I always make that mistake between june and July.
    06-04-2009 03:27 PM
    I would wait. I know it is hard to wait, but it makes it less complicated...
    06-04-2009 04:00 PM
    Just wait until Monday after their conference. Then we will know everything and you can start your count down to the release of the new hardware. Who knows, Apple could release it much sooner this time after the announcement because of all the phones coming out this month.
    06-04-2009 04:10 PM
    I'm in the same boat here, my TMobile contract expires at the end of July, so I am VERY anxiously awaiting the information to come out from WWDC.

I shouldn't be so antsy for a new phone, but I am....ugh.
    06-04-2009 04:28 PM
    Just wait. you can wait a month.
    06-04-2009 05:27 PM
    I definitely CAN wait...and HAVE to ( TMo contract ) till August...so I'm waiting regardless.....doesn't make waiting any easier
    06-04-2009 08:08 PM
    I would wait for the first two months to go by. I wouldn't buy this phone in the frenzy of people " wanting it so bad ".

If you contract ends in July , just wait for the phone. I learned that lesson when my contracts ended in May 2008 and I tried to get the phone in July. I tried every apple and AT&T store in Manhattan and I didn't get it until October that year.

I'm getting the new model but not until october / November-ish time because I don't want to run into store expecting a phone and not get it.
    06-04-2009 09:51 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD