Getting iphone 3G - Sick of Blackberry Storm

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
The problem with the Storm is that it tried to give an iPhone experience many wanted while retaining the BlackBerry experience their user base loved, and failed to adequately satisfy either for most users. Add in hardware and software issues, and it was a world of pain.

Hopefully RIM does something more interesting with the Storm 2

suezyg23#IM

May 4, 2009
Visit site
I actually madebthe switch about a month ago. I was originally stuck with verizon due to work. I of course got my storm opening day. I tried really hard to like it. I went through 4 storms due to one issue after another...finally I said this is just wrong. The iPhone was the only device that did everything I needed. So a month ago I went out and bought it. It's like night and day. I love this phone.

Nickster248#WN

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
I am a current Storm user,:( but will be changing my phone, in June, to one of the following:

- New iPhone
- BB Niagara
- Palm Pre

One of my concerns about the iPhone is it's lack of combining tasks and appointments in a single Calendar Program.:( I need to have both tasks and appt's on one App, hence my reason for going with BB's, but I must admit the Storm has soured my want for a newer BB...the OS itself is just too limited.

I do understand however that WebIS has put out Pocket Informant for the iPhone.:) I use PI on my Storm and it meets all my needs in terms of keeping my tasks and appt's organized. Anyone on the Forums use Pocket Informant on their iPhone? If I do purchase the new iPhone when it comes out in June, I will surely purchase PI. What about multi-tasking? Do you think mult-tasking will come with the new iPhone this summer?

My other concern is push Email. I only have one Email account...not enterprise...but I like to have the Email's from that account pushed to my BB. Is that possible to do with the iPhone?

Thanks for your help.:)

Nick

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Nick,

Currently only two e-mail providers push, Apple's MobileMe and Yahoo. I do not know which e-mail provider you use but hopefully G-Mail will have it as well for the iPhone in the near future. I have a G-Mail account as it is and in it's native iPhone form actually works pretty well.

Last edited:

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I am a current Storm user,:( but will be changing my phone, in June, to one of the following:

- New iPhone
- BB Niagara
- Palm Pre

One of my concerns about the iPhone is it's lack of combining tasks and appointments in a single Calendar Program.:( I need to have both tasks and appt's on one App, hence my reason for going with BB's, but I must admit the Storm has soured my want for a newer BB...the OS itself is just too limited.

I do understand however that WebIS has put out Pocket Informant for the iPhone.:) I use PI on my Storm and it meets all my needs in terms of keeping my tasks and appt's organized. Anyone on the Forums use Pocket Informant on their iPhone? If I do purchase the new iPhone when it comes out in June, I will surely purchase PI. What about multi-tasking? Do you think mult-tasking will come with the new iPhone this summer?

My other concern is push Email. I only have one Email account...not enterprise...but I like to have the Email's from that account pushed to my BB. Is that possible to do with the iPhone?

Thanks for your help.:)

Nick

I like the iPhone's calender over the BB's.. looks better, easier to use, and I think you would find it just as useful if you gave it a try.

Nickster248#WN

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
Nick,

Currently only two e-mail providers push, Apple's MobileMe and Yahoo. I do not know which e-mail provider you use but hopefully G-Mail will have it as well for the iPhone in the near future. I have a G-Mail account as it is and in it's native iPhone form actually works pretty well.

I have just quickly glanced over MobileMe, but in a nutshell does it provide push services for an existing Email Account with my provider, or does your subscription to MobileMe actually provide you with a separate Email Account with a @mobileme.com address?

Nickster248#WN

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
I like the iPhone's calender over the BB's.. looks better, easier to use, and I think you would find it just as useful if you gave it a try.

I will probably end up giving it a try, but again, one thing I notice is that all the sample screens for the Calendar on the iPhone do not contain any tasks.:( What do you do to keep track of your tasks on a busy day? Although I have a few appointments daily, I have many more tasks to complete, and I find it extremely helpful seeing both listed somewhere. I am hoping that 3rd party Apps, such as Pocket Informant, will provide that kind of view for me.

Thanks for your reply.:)

Nick

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I have just quickly glanced over MobileMe, but in a nutshell does it provide push services for an existing Email Account with my provider, or does your subscription to MobileMe actually provide you with a separate Email Account with a @mobileme.com address?

MobileMe provides you with an @me.com e-mail account. What I do is forward my gmail to my me.com address so everything gets pushed. I love MobileMe, push calendar, contacts and e-mail. Works with PC, Outlook, Windows Contacts and some others.

Check out Amazon for MobileMe, it's cheaper.. someone said like $69/year as opposed to $99. I purchased the family account for $149, 5 users.

I have my Outlook, MobileMe, iPhone and Google Calendars ALL in sync and in perfect harmony.

Last edited:

zacapplegate

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Everyone I know and myself hate using the Storm (including the person that bought it). He figured it would be a nice upgrade from his old broken phone. It turns out that he wants a different phone now. I can't understand why they didn't wait to get it right the first time

mward777

May 6, 2009
Visit site
At first, I loved the Storm but, the OS is what brought it down. The OS crashed on me. When I brought it back to Verizon under warranty, they refused to do anything to compensate me or replace the phone. Verizon's Customer Service is the worst as they told me "if you're that dissatisfied with our customer service, may be you should go elsewhere".

RyanH

May 7, 2009
Visit site
It's not just the Storm - I got the Bold the day it came out in November. Good unit for what it was, light years ahead of the curve I had before the unfortunate ladder accident.... But even then, the browser on the Bold was awful, copying media was a pain, there was no such thing as the RIM app store when I bailed out, and the screen was so tiny that even if the browser was better & the media was easy to transfer - what was the point!!!????? you couldn't see what you were doing at all. The only thing better (and I mean WAAAAY better) on the Bold than the iPhone is the camera function - zoom AND flash AND video, Apple needs to wake up on that one....

Nickster248#WN

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
MobileMe provides you with an @me.com e-mail account. What I do is forward my gmail to my me.com address so everything gets pushed. I love MobileMe, push calendar, contacts and e-mail. Works with PC, Outlook, Windows Contacts and some others.

Check out Amazon for MobileMe, it's cheaper.. someone said like $69/year as opposed to $99. I purchased the family account for $149, 5 users.

I have my Outlook, MobileMe, iPhone and Google Calendars ALL in sync and in perfect harmony.

Ok, thanks for the tips.:) I will check them out. Now, the only thing that remains for me is to find out when, and exactly what, the new iPhone will bring to me once it is released. :)

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
It's not just the Storm - I got the Bold the day it came out in November. Good unit for what it was, light years ahead of the curve I had before the unfortunate ladder accident.... But even then, the browser on the Bold was awful, copying media was a pain, there was no such thing as the RIM app store when I bailed out, and the screen was so tiny that even if the browser was better & the media was easy to transfer - what was the point!!!????? you couldn't see what you were doing at all. The only thing better (and I mean WAAAAY better) on the Bold than the iPhone is the camera function - zoom AND flash AND video, Apple needs to wake up on that one....

If you compare the pics though.. more often than not the iPhone's are a lot better in quality

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site

Question: I believe I was answered, but hopefully it has changed. Do any of the 4 accounts push like the primary does? Apple told me the 4 wouldn't.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Question: I believe I was answered, but hopefully it has changed. Do any of the 4 accounts push like the primary does? Apple told me the 4 wouldn't.

I never thought the other 4 wouldn't push, if they don't I believe that would be a scam on behalf of apple's part. I will check into it though.

jewelz

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Everyone. I too have switched from the Storm to the iPhone. I have owned nothing but BBs for the past 9 years so switching to an iphone was def. a big deal for me. I must say so far I love this phone. I have only had an iphone a day, but it has been so easy to adapt to it. I look forward to chatting with everyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2